2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options? - Page 2 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 130 Old 08-05-2008, 4:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

08 1000RR oil burning problem is a global honda problem. In turkey most of the 2008 1000rrs are also burning oil. For that reason no one is buying fireblade here.
Quote:
"...I called Honda & complained & they basically said some BS about 1 quart per thousand miles is within tolerance..."
I dont think so. I ve never heard that kind of tolerance! 08 1000rr is a big failure...

Last edited by onlyrider; 08-05-2008 at 6:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 130 Old 08-05-2008, 6:36 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyrider View Post
08 1000RR oil burning problem is a global honda problem. In turkey most of the 2008 1000rrs are also burning oil. For that reason no one is buying fireblade here.

I dont think so. I ve never heard that kind of tolerance! 08 1000rr is a big failure...
That's what GM told me when my new truck knocked and burned oil, it looks like Honda has learned from GM to pass the buck to the customer.
No new Honda for me until they change the way they are doing business.
If GM is gonna be their role model then it looks like a different brand maybe sitting in my garage come next spring.

Pop's
post #18 of 130 Old 08-05-2008, 9:28 AM

Reputation Power: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrpapa View Post

No new Honda for me until they change the way they are doing business.

Pop's
I feel the same way Pop's, some are burning oil and some aren't but enough are that it makes it a bit of a crapshoot whether to buy one or not. Local dealers are already heavily discounting the '08s cause they cant' move any of 'em off the showroom floor. Honda, are you listening to all this??? That '08 ZX-10R is starting to look more and more attractive.

Kruz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 130 Old 08-05-2008, 10:56 AM

Why so many Japanese brands eating oil in this days? Nissan have problems with 1.5 and 1.8 litre engines. Toyota have serious piston ring problem with 1.6 and 1.8 litre engines. Also new Toyota D4D Diesel engines have problems. Turbo-, head gasget-, cylinder head- and total engine distruction when oil and coolant are mixed together. That's why I use in this days VAG-product. Those are not super reliable, but those don't rust away in the front of your eyes.

My Fireblade is not oil hungry. I'm very glad from that.
post #20 of 130 Old 08-05-2008, 11:39 AM

Reputation Power: 12

I wish the weather here in North Wales would 'STOP' F-ing raining, I might be able to find out if my replacement is using oil or not. I hate the rain, makes it far too slippy for my liking.

............ Hoody
post #21 of 130 Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 AM

Reputation Power: 13

I'm with you on this bloody rain.rain,rain,rain,rain,rain and yet more rain.
post #22 of 130 Old 08-05-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody View Post
I wish the weather here in North Wales would 'STOP' F-ing raining, I might be able to find out if my replacement is using oil or not. I hate the rain, makes it far too slippy for my liking.

............ Hoody
OK guys send us some of that rain and we'll ship you some of our sunshine. Been hitting up to 107 Degrees F here all week and no end in sight, bloody global warming. Only time you can ride here is early morning or late evening but even then it's still almost 90 F at midnight.

Kruz
post #23 of 130 Old 08-11-2008, 5:13 PM

Reputation Power: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody View Post
My replacement bike has done about 1500 miles, it has used a little oil but nothing to worry about.

............. Hoody
what is "a little oil"? I rode mine for 2000 miles and lost 0.5L, is that considered normal? never had any problem at all with my 07 Repsol...
post #24 of 130 Old 08-12-2008, 8:37 AM

The dealer set my oil level at the 4k service and I took it back 500 miles later ... it had 'only' used 180mls which is far better than before which was nearer 500mls so fingers crossed it's settled down
post #25 of 130 Old 08-12-2008, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeCBR2008 View Post
what is "a little oil"? I rode mine for 2000 miles and lost 0.5L, is that considered normal? never had any problem at all with my 07 Repsol...
I do 3000 mile oil changes on my bikes and between changes there is no measurable difference on the dipstick so I would say your consumption is high enough that I'd be camping out on my local dealer's doorstep wanting some answers. That's just not acceptable IMHO on a new bike, especially a Honda.
Like I've said before, Honda needs to be listening to these forums if they're not already. This is keeping me from buying an '08 right now, just not willing to chance it.

Kruz
post #26 of 130 Old 08-12-2008, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. A. Kruz View Post
That's just not acceptable IMHO on a new bike, especially a Honda.
Personally I don't think 0.5L in 2000 miles is a problem, I have VAG cars that use that much.

I also ride a CRF 450 off road and that uses huge amounts, but for some reason people are happy to judge that as acceptable on an off road bike.

Some engines use oil and some don't, so long as you know then keep an eye on it but I certainly don't let it detract me from my enjoyment of what happens to be the best bike on the road.

I'm with Hoody on the rain BTW
post #27 of 130 Old 08-14-2008, 3:00 AM

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyrider View Post
Havent had my bike long enough to notice oil consumption, but mine doesnt smoke at all, and the exhaust tip is clean enought to eat off of.

Saying the bike is a failure is a little bit of an exageration, especially since most people who have no problems often dont feel the need to post about how flawlessly their bikes are running. So most of what you "hear" are the problems, and since people post their problems on a forum for help and or support more than they post a "hell yeah my bike is perfect in every way" post.

I am currently monitoring my oil and so far the first few hundred miles have been pretty rigorous.

So basing your assumptions about a bike on a few people in one or two forums having similar problems is kind of silly. To be honest, the fact that Honda has not issued a blanket statement about the oil consumption, and has only replaced a few bikes due to this occurance, leads me to believe that the oil burning is not nearly as widespread as we are all making it out to be.

Please people who are burning oil, dont take it the wrong way, I keep praying that my bike doesnt burn oil, and I hope that your problems are fixed by Honda or go away of their own accord. But at the same time, anyone who is thinking of buying the 08 Blade talk to the dealer and ensure that they only use semi-synth or organic oils for break in and break in the bike however you feel most comfortable.

In my eyes this bike is far from a failure, its not perfect but it is damn close to my ideal motorcycle. Hell I even like the colors, I must be daft
post #28 of 130 Old 08-14-2008, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gerd View Post
Havent had my bike long enough to notice oil consumption, but mine doesnt smoke at all, and the exhaust tip is clean enought to eat off of.

Saying the bike is a failure is a little bit of an exageration, especially since most people who have no problems often dont feel the need to post about how flawlessly their bikes are running. So most of what you "hear" are the problems, and since people post their problems on a forum for help and or support more than they post a "hell yeah my bike is perfect in every way" post.

I am currently monitoring my oil and so far the first few hundred miles have been pretty rigorous.

So basing your assumptions about a bike on a few people in one or two forums having similar problems is kind of silly. To be honest, the fact that Honda has not issued a blanket statement about the oil consumption, and has only replaced a few bikes due to this occurance, leads me to believe that the oil burning is not nearly as widespread as we are all making it out to be.

Please people who are burning oil, dont take it the wrong way, I keep praying that my bike doesnt burn oil, and I hope that your problems are fixed by Honda or go away of their own accord. But at the same time, anyone who is thinking of buying the 08 Blade talk to the dealer and ensure that they only use semi-synth or organic oils for break in and break in the bike however you feel most comfortable.

In my eyes this bike is far from a failure, its not perfect but it is damn close to my ideal motorcycle. Hell I even like the colors, I must be daft
It is a good think to see someone who is loving his fireblade that much However there are certain things that ensures the new fireblades failure. The answer to the question how much a new fireblade costs here in turkey is 23000 $. If you are paying that amount of money and having oil burning bike, for me it is called a “failure”. If yours is okay well, but we are not buying a potato. Failure is not an assumption or just a rumour; five of my friends bought new cbr1000rr and all of the bikes are burning oil. Do you think this is an exception? For me its not. On the other hand I see lots of oil burning complaints in turkish forums also. And what honda is doing against those complaints is nothing. Like I told you before even though Honda has highest bike selling numbers no one is buying new fireblade here anymore. All people are waiting for a new problemless 2009 fireblade.
post #29 of 130 Old 08-14-2008, 4:56 AM

as i newbie to this forum and a potential blade owner i have been doing my own research and there does seem to be an issue with oil usage but it appears to be inconsistant, this makes it a bit of a lottery in terms of getting a machine with no problems!
at the moment the new fireblade is the best selling bike in the UK, going against the trend of latter years where sport bike sales were on the decline, so i have no doubt it is a superb machine, but there is that fly in its soup!

as im spending my own money (usually prefer to spend other peoples!!) i have decided to wait it out till honda have had a chance to sort these problems out!

its a great forum and very informative, i look forward to being a proper blade runner next year!
post #30 of 130 Old 08-14-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldbiker View Post
as i newbie to this forum and a potential blade owner i have been doing my own research and there does seem to be an issue with oil usage but it appears to be inconsistant, this makes it a bit of a lottery in terms of getting a machine with no problems!
at the moment the new fireblade is the best selling bike in the UK, going against the trend of latter years where sport bike sales were on the decline, so i have no doubt it is a superb machine, but there is that fly in its soup!

as im spending my own money (usually prefer to spend other peoples!!) i have decided to wait it out till honda have had a chance to sort these problems out!

its a great forum and very informative, i look forward to being a proper blade runner next year!
Well spoken, I could not have said it any better Jafo. I for one don't believe the '08 Blade is a failure, far from it I think the design is absolutely brilliant. That being said, the high oil consumption thing is a bit of gamble and not one that I'm willing to take at the moment. I might get a good one and have no problems or I might not, it's a roll of the dice really. Blades here in the states are relatively cheap compared to our friends in Turkey but $10,000 is still a chunk of money to risk with the outcome uncertain. Honda has someone monitoring this forum and I guarantee they are taking notice. It makes no difference if the problem is real or only percieved, it will affect their bottom line and they have to respond. Just my .02

P.S. I am happy for all you guys who got a good Blade and having no problems. Enjoy!

Kruz

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page