2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options? - Page 3 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 130 Old 08-20-2008, 2:04 AM
 
Join Date: 10-01-2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 19
Images: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Send a message via Skype™ to oggydownunder
Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

Hi all from Sunny Australia...(or smokey Sydney if your following my new blade)... I had the first 08 blade in NSW and up to 4500kms.... Mine is burning oil and smoking (first noticed at a track day...)... so have been back to dealer and its officially using 1100cc of oil per 1000kms.... so back to Honda for their answer.....

Anyone heard the rumour of Honda America recalling their stock of head gaskets and replacing them with modified design...apparantly returning oil is being resticted and is building up the head at high revs... so they have enlarged the return oil passageway in gasket ????
oggydownunder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 130 Old 08-20-2008, 8:49 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-23-2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggydownunder View Post
Hi all from Sunny Australia...(or smokey Sydney if your following my new blade)... I had the first 08 blade in NSW and up to 4500kms.... Mine is burning oil and smoking (first noticed at a track day...)... so have been back to dealer and its officially using 1100cc of oil per 1000kms.... so back to Honda for their answer.....

Anyone heard the rumour of Honda America recalling their stock of head gaskets and replacing them with modified design...apparantly returning oil is being resticted and is building up the head at high revs... so they have enlarged the return oil passageway in gasket ????
I have heard that the head gasket has been updated, but nothing official.

The outcome of my saga is that Honda has authorized a new replacement bike for me, which I hope to pick-up this week.

The VIN # of the new bike is only 36 higher than my current bike, so I am a bit nervous...

Last edited by djhartm; 08-20-2008 at 8:58 AM.
djhartm is offline  
post #33 of 130 Old 09-17-2008, 9:48 PM
 
Join Date: 08-20-2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

Hi All,
I may be off the mark but could the oil burning problem be as a result of the break in method used? It does make a difference. I am picking up my new blade soon (can't wait) and have been researching the best break in method (I know there is another thread on this - worth looking at it).

New Engine Break-in Procedure
Ausblade is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 130 Old 09-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 50
Posts: 32,217
Images: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227
                     
Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

Any engine run in too gently is likely to be an oil burner.
Personally, with today's modern very hard plated bores I think it's probably even more important to run them in hard to have any chance of bedding in the rings.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 09-18-2008 at 12:32 PM.
bladeracer is offline  
post #35 of 130 Old 09-17-2008, 10:42 PM
 
Join Date: 08-20-2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

[quote=bladeracer;719481]Any engine run in too gently is likely to be an oil burner.[quote]

So that being said, how did the people that are having oil burning issues run their bikes in? Soft break in (as per the manual) or hard break in?
Ausblade is offline  
post #36 of 130 Old 09-18-2008, 8:16 AM
 
Join Date: 08-19-2008
Location: Florida
Age: 34
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Send a message via AIM to KrazyRdR83
Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

i've also read that running too hard (being at the track and having it hang above 8k), will cause it to burn oil or consume a lot of oil as well
KrazyRdR83 is offline  
post #37 of 130 Old 09-18-2008, 8:31 AM
 
Join Date: 08-15-2007
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 236
Images: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

I run mine in like i have done countless others and they havent been oil burners, to coin the phrase "ride it like you stole it" is pretty much as good as it gets yet mine is one of the oil burners (or its suspected to be).

Russ
Deathace is offline  
post #38 of 130 Old 09-18-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-23-2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

This is such a subjective subject....

I am breaking the replacement in just as I did the original, riding it as I normally would. That being said, I haven't been WOT all the way to redline yet.

I've personally heard stories about break-in going both ways; neither manner, hard/soft would result in the damage my previous bike sustained. It was simply defective.
djhartm is offline  
post #39 of 130 Old 09-18-2008, 5:42 PM
 
Join Date: 03-13-2008
Location: MARGATE UK
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10
 
Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

well i broke mine in by the book up to 6000 rpm no more than thatand have had no problems from the south east of the uk to germany and back with no topping up of oil i'm hoping i have a good one has anyone actually got it from the horses mouth EXACTLY how we are spose to check the oil i use the method in the manual runn for two minutes let stand for two mins check without screwing didpstck in is this the correct way?
dev435 is offline  
post #40 of 130 Old 09-18-2008, 6:24 PM
 
Join Date: 10-01-2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 19
Images: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Send a message via Skype™ to oggydownunder
Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhartm View Post
This is such a subjective subject....

I am breaking the replacement in just as I did the original, riding it as I normally would. That being said, I haven't been WOT all the way to redline yet.

I've personally heard stories about break-in going both ways; neither manner, hard/soft would result in the damage my previous bike sustained. It was simply defective.
As Djhartm said... certainly breaking in a bike badly can add to the problem, but some bikes do have this issue...

I'll be picking up my replacement bike today. Not happy with the issues I had, but couldnt be happier with Honda MPE's quick, professional and positive responce to my problem's.
oggydownunder is offline  
post #41 of 130 Old 09-18-2008, 7:36 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-23-2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggydownunder View Post
As Djhartm said... certainly breaking in a bike badly can add to the problem, but some bikes do have this issue...

I'll be picking up my replacement bike today. Not happy with the issues I had, but couldnt be happier with Honda MPE's quick, professional and positive responce to my problem's.
Congratulations!

What problems did you have?

I hired an attorney & spent >$2k after the dealer reported to Honda that the damage was the result of operating the bike w/o an air filter. They subsequently denied my warranty claim. The dealer then had the DSM look at the bike with all of us there, and Honda agreed to replace it. I wish I didn't have to spend the extra $$$, but I was very unhappy with how everything was initially handled.
djhartm is offline  
post #42 of 130 Old 09-18-2008, 8:18 PM
 
Join Date: 10-01-2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 19
Images: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Send a message via Skype™ to oggydownunder
Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhartm View Post
Congratulations!

What problems did you have?

I hired an attorney & spent >$2k after the dealer reported to Honda that the damage was the result of operating the bike w/o an air filter. They subsequently denied my warranty claim. The dealer then had the DSM look at the bike with all of us there, and Honda agreed to replace it. I wish I didn't have to spend the extra $$$, but I was very unhappy with how everything was initially handled.
Problems with the bike..... using 1100cc per 1000 kms (note kms...NOT miles) ...but no problems with Honda MPE Australia... I worked directly with Honda on what the problem could be... did some testing for them to confirm certain issues and they did what was the best outcome for me (exchanging the vehicle)... so no Attorneys needed..just kept everything clean and civil... kept all conversations via written word etc etc... Even got the new Black/Silver 09 colour scheme (in Oz anyway)... As the saying goes "you catch more bees with Honey"..

Big wrap for Honda MPE Australia on this...
oggydownunder is offline  
post #43 of 130 Old 09-18-2008, 8:37 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-23-2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggydownunder View Post
Problems with the bike..... using 1100cc per 1000 kms (note kms...NOT miles) ...but no problems with Honda MPE Australia... I worked directly with Honda on what the problem could be... did some testing for them to confirm certain issues and they did what was the best outcome for me (exchanging the vehicle)... so no Attorneys needed..just kept everything clean and civil... kept all conversations via written word etc etc... Even got the new Black/Silver 09 colour scheme (in Oz anyway)... As the saying goes "you catch more bees with Honey"..

Big wrap for Honda MPE Australia on this...
Did they determine the cause/issue?

Mine has not been torn-down yet.
djhartm is offline  
post #44 of 130 Old 09-18-2008, 8:42 PM
 
Join Date: 10-01-2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 19
Images: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Send a message via Skype™ to oggydownunder
Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

The whole bike will be sent back to Melbourne HQ... Honda Japan requested the pistons/Barrels for inspection.

But I guess I'll never know unless I stripped it myself......

Good luck with the new one......
oggydownunder is offline  
post #45 of 130 Old 09-18-2008, 10:21 PM
 
Join Date: 08-16-2008
Location: San Dimas Ca. U.S.A.
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

Do the 08 blades come from the factory with synthetic in them?

Rick
Redfiddyfo is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bike is overheating and oil is burning JordanCBRF3SJ Honda CBR 600 11 06-04-2010 4:46 PM
Oil filter - 2008 CBR1000RR soon2b954 Honda FireBlade 5 04-25-2008 12:41 AM
05 636 burning oil jacobflyin Kawasaki Motorcycles 3 03-18-2008 7:10 PM
2000 929 burning oil?? 2006cress Honda FireBlade 9 05-29-2006 4:41 PM
2002 954 burning oil :( synergy Honda FireBlade 4 07-15-2005 2:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome