2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options? - Page 5 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 130 Old 09-22-2008, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Re: 2008 CBR1000RR is burning oil like mad - options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
The rings are pressed against the bores by gas pressure behind the rings. You need hard revs to get that pressure.
Babying the motor just glazes the bore surface and the rings.
A.G. Bell's Four-Stroke Performance Tuning has a good in-depth look at the mechanics of running in an engine.
I have been back to back on the dyno many times with bikes run in as per the manual as against the rev it hard way and the rev it hard way gives the bike 4/6 more bhp every time and a smoother engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 130 Old 09-22-2008, 1:45 PM

Reputation Power: 9

Running in fairly fast & hard avoiding max throttle for long periods & varying the engine speed has always worked for me. I agree too about the power - a slow engine will always be slow. You dont see racers running in engines for 600 miles!!
honda manual states ' Help assure your motorcycles future reliability & performance by paying extra attention to how you ride during the first 300 miles. During this period avoid full throttle starts & rapid acceleration'

To me that means have a little common sense & some mechanical sympathy but not much else.

Anway change of plan on the oil front - bike went into dealers today, they topped up oil & sealed dipstick & filler. ride for 500 miles & then back in to see how much has been used. Will be interesting.
Nick
post #63 of 130 Old 09-22-2008, 5:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to low-rider

ok, so next bike i will take out of the dealership and red line it immediately to see what happens.

i don't think it is wise to do more then 9.000 rpm's with mineral oil in it. but who am i to say. and getting 3 hp more or less from the engine with about 160+ bhp is not so important to amateur like me. it is important to guys like rossi etc.

can u really feel those 2 or 3 hp on regular road?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 130 Old 09-22-2008, 6:09 PM

Reputation Power: 9

I understand what you are saying but I think you are missing the point. No one is saying to ride at max rpm for extended periods until the bike has done a reasonable mileage (Honda say 300 miles).However riding too slow is just as bad. The engine needs to be loaded for short periods (5-10 seconds) at full throttle in say 2nd or 3rd gear & then allowed to cycle down. The key is to vary the engine speed, avoid overloading anything but make the engine bed in. If there is extra power in that engine then Ive paid for it so i want it.
My wifes previous blade (RR3) was bought with 5k miles on it as a replacement for a new RR3 that she crashed at 3 months old. The replacemnt had been owned by an older gentleman who never rode it hard. It was always down on power but totally reliable. Just a bit dull really.
As for not noticing the difference - it was very obvious as it isnt just at the top end, it affects the torque too.
I do know a little about this as I build engines.
as for mineral oils - just how much synthetic is in 'semi synthetic oil'? Mineral oil has excellent lubrication qualities when new - it just deteriorates rapidly with use whereas fully synthetic doesnt alter much. As for semi, well it depends on who makes it & what the percentages are. Honda dont specify oil type - just grade & JASO MA rating.
post #65 of 130 Old 09-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-rider View Post
ok, so next bike i will take out of the dealership and red line it immediately to see what happens.

i don't think it is wise to do more then 9.000 rpm's with mineral oil in it. but who am i to say. and getting 3 hp more or less from the engine with about 160+ bhp is not so important to amateur like me. it is important to guys like rossi etc.

can u really feel those 2 or 3 hp on regular road?
Your engine has already been redlined by the manufacturer before they sent it out of the plant to ensure it's strong enough to sell.
It isn't about the horsepower, it's about how much oil it burns and how long it'll last before it needs new rings.
There's nothing wrong with mineral oil.
It does the same job as synthetic oil and has been used in engines doing well over 9000rpm for decades.
Synthetics are improving and I can see a time when they'll be better than mineral or semi-synthetics - or to be more specific, engines will be designed around synthetic oils so they'll work better in those - but I personally don't believe we're there yet.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 09-22-2008 at 11:04 PM.
post #66 of 130 Old 09-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coombehouse View Post
as for mineral oils - just how much synthetic is in 'semi synthetic oil'? Mineral oil has excellent lubrication qualities when new - it just deteriorates rapidly with use whereas fully synthetic doesnt alter much. As for semi, well it depends on who makes it & what the percentages are. Honda dont specify oil type - just grade & JASO MA rating.
I don't know what the ratio of synth to mineral is - interesting question though.
The only advantage I've seen for running full-synth is being able to leave it in there longer - and I don't consider that an advantage.
Personally, I'll stick with semi-synth and change it more regularly. The synthetic may not break down as quickly but it's still carrying clutch and combustion pollutants throughout the engine and transmission all the time it's in there.
I was told - on here I think - that the new Honda's actually specified full-synthetic oils afer the engine is run-in. Can somebody with an '08 owner's manual clarify what the manual recommends?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #67 of 130 Old 09-23-2008, 2:23 AM

yeah honda specifies full synth oil after break in period. at least here, dunno for usa.

i'm not saying i'm riding my bike like some granny. 7000 or 8000 rpm on 1k bike in 6th gear is about 180 km/h (112 mph).

i didn't say u have to ride 20 mph during breaking in.

i like to think that i'm a good rider. i don't have chicken stripes on my back tire because i'm using whole surface of my rear tire in the bends and that is on regular road not on the track. also i know how is to ride a blade on 299 km/h (185 mph) on speedo - i don't know how much is it genuine. and believe me i'm not sure would i feel the difference if i had 1 or 2 hp more or less. most of us r using up to 60% of our 1k bikes. when u will be using 100% of ur bike then u can say that 1 or 2 or 3 hp makes a difference. and to be able to do that i think u should be motogp or wsbk rider.
post #68 of 130 Old 09-23-2008, 2:27 AM
Global Moderator

I race my bike and I'm not interested in the couple of hp.
I'm interested in a strong engine that doesn't drink oil and doesn't need rings every season.

post #69 of 130 Old 09-23-2008, 3:05 AM

i had 4 new bikes and none of them was drinking oil or had powerless or weak engine.

somebody here said that racers do not break in their engines. that's not true. i have 2 of my friends bike racers and i have 1 friend who race cars. they all were breaking in their bikes or cars. u can't take new bike and send it on the track right away. motogp and wsbk riders don't break in their engines because they receive from the factory engines that were already broken in.

i repeat, i'm not saying that u have to ride ur bike on walking pace. but u can't tell me that it is recomended to ride new bike on max. rpm's or near max. rpm's from 0 miles.
post #70 of 130 Old 09-23-2008, 4:24 AM

Quote:
i had 4 new bikes and none of them was drinking oil or had powerless or weak engine.

somebody here said that racers do not break in their engines. that's not true. i have 2 of my friends bike racers and i have 1 friend who race cars. they all were breaking in their bikes or cars. u can't take new bike and send it on the track right away. motogp and wsbk riders don't break in their engines because they receive from the factory engines that were already broken in.

i repeat, i'm not saying that u have to ride ur bike on walking pace. but u can't tell me that it is recomended to ride new bike on max. rpm's or near max. rpm's from 0 miles.
Not to the max mate that's not what we said but accelerate hard to around 12k in 3rd or 4th then get off the throttle and let it slow down rapidly this helps seal the rings to the bores and you end up with good compression and a strong engine.
post #71 of 130 Old 09-23-2008, 4:32 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:

I've bought three bikes brand new and ran them all in the same way.
I race and when I rebuild an engine I break it in at the track in the first few laps. Breaking-in a new engine is done in mere minutes, not hundreds of miles. It has been very common practise in racing for decades - it's not something new.

post #72 of 130 Old 09-23-2008, 8:04 AM

then maybe u should write new manuals for kawasaki, suzuki, yamaha, honda etc. obviously all those companies have wrong manuals because they are saying not to rev ur bike up to the maximum or near maximum. kawasaki 636 has to bi ridden up to 4.000 rpm's in first 600 miles and up to 6.000 rpm next 600 miles. why if its red line begins on about 16.000 rpm's? suzuki gsxr 600 7.000 rpm then 12.000 rpm. why when its redline begins on 15.500 rpm? yamaha fazer can rev up to 13.000 i think. why then first 600 miles it is not recomended to rev it above 7.000? my blade red line begins on 12.250. why in official honda dealership they told me not to rev it above 7 or 8.000 rpm in first 600 miles?

tell me one more thing. is it recomended, after u turn on ur bike in the morning, to ride it hard? although coolant temperature is raised temperature of the oil is not and that is why it is recomended to ride on lower and medium rpm for the first 3 or 4 miles? that way oil gets warmed and after that u can ride it fast. but now u will tell me aslo that it is wrong.

maybe it is also recomended to turno on ur bike and when it is still cold to rev it up to the redline and hold it like that for minute or two. of course it needs to be done in neutral. that way u can additionally break in ur engine. right?
post #73 of 130 Old 09-23-2008, 8:10 AM
Global Moderator

You're going way off on some strange tangent now...
Riding a new bike according to what the manual says is nothing to do with running in the engine.
As for what is said in an "official dealership" that's meaningless - they're just guys trying to make a buck selling motorcycles. They don't need any kind of engineering degrees for that...
Of course you must warm up an engine. You may even have noticed that nobody here has said any differently so I can't see the relevance...
I'd suggest you get some library books and read up on engine building instead of asking salesmen how engines work :-)

post #74 of 130 Old 09-23-2008, 8:55 AM

that meaningless dealership happens to be also official service shop. if any guy can work in dealership/service then anybody can maintain and fix bikes. u make it sound so easy. so in honda dealership/service are working guys which don't have idea what they r doing when somebody brings a bike there. i don't know why is it official then and why honda gives them the right to be their representatives. and how they can give warranty in the name of honda company. i think they know something about bikes.

maybe honda should hire u as their main engineer. i think u should work as pedrosa's main mechanic because u know so much about everything. no, maybe you should be general manager or director of the company...or maybe u should be president of the universe cause u r so wise. i heard nasa is asking for people which know how to break in space shuttles. maybe u r man for the task.

i told u...write new manuals for all the bikes then. obviously they are delusional.
post #75 of 130 Old 09-23-2008, 9:04 AM
Global Moderator

If you want to discuss something I'm happy to do so.
If you just want to spout rubbish I have better things to do...
There is no shortage of good information about how to run in engines - if you'd only take five minutes to research it..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page