Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade » cbr250 engine rattling !!! help

Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
streethawk is on a distinguished road
cbr250 engine rattling !!! help

Was out getting petrol for a run , and although the bike was runnin fine b4 the station , when i left i started getting a nastly rattling sound coming from the roght hand side of the engine ... so i headed back to work .

On closer inspection i noticed that i am out of oil !!
Why didnt the red "oil" light come on , and if re-filling up the oil doesnt make a difference to the rattle what could be wrong ?

Ive had the bike 1 month and so far it has been stolen and had faings broken , can someone give me hope that i dont need to spend a fortune fixing the wee bike .

i instantly took it easy on the way back to work , so im hoping ive not done lasting damage in that short "dry" period .

I hope someone can ease my mind , thanks guys
streethawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-29-2008, 1:18 PM   #2
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 218
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: cbr250 engine rattling !!! help

I think you'll have to do an oil pressure check to ensure you have pressure.
If you don't have pressure then it's probably chewed a bearing.
The light on the dash or the sender itself may not be working.
The oil light should probably come on while the engine is off as a test but I'm not familiar with the babyblades.
Old 09-29-2008, 2:25 PM   #3

Thanks 4 the advise . i have had a couple of ppl also mention the cam chain tensioner ?

The funny thing is that i had been noticing a little power decrease also during the last week . it was just suddenly when on a roundabout i noticed it starting to ping/rattle ...
now power is down LOADS !!

Im anxious to find that the engine can be fixed .. cos i cant afford to pay a fortune to fix the bike at the moment.

funnily , it seems that the ping/rattle goes in sync with the exhaust sound !!?
and also the bike wants to KO alot .. it wont idle too long

seems like its kinda flooding.

Do u think i mite hav to get a new engine maybe ?
What is this bearing bit , and where is it located ?
Old 09-29-2008, 2:44 PM   #4
Global Moderator

bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

Pinging could indicate overheating and low coolant can make the engine sound noisier.
It certainly could be the tensioner but that's not usually something that just appears after running the engine low on oil.
How much oil did you need to top it up with?
Is it still full of coolant?
When you say the noise is in sync with the exhaust I assume you mean if you rev the engine the noise gets faster as well? That could be due to any moving parts in the engine as most of it moves faster with revs :-)
I have no idea if you need a new engine until you carry out some tests.
The crank bearing clearances determine your oil pressure. If you run the engine low on oil and overheat a bearing the clearance can open up and reduce pressure.
It's probably well worth pulling the valve cover off and inspecting valve clearances and camchain as well as the tensioner. If the tensioner has failed one of the cams may have skipped a tooth on the chain so the cam timing could be out as well.
Old 09-29-2008, 2:46 PM   #5

Reputation Power: 8
babisgr is on a distinguished road

the thing is,from what i remember the 250 and 400cc blades,had gear driven cams....thus there is not a CCT.They had a special "whining" sound from the gears.
babisgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 2:56 PM   #6
Global Moderator

You're right I think.
Did all of them have gear-driven cams?
Old 09-29-2008, 3:25 PM   #7

cheers , that clears it up a little for me . i needed over a litre of oil !
I knew that bloody oil light was playing up , now and again itd flash on for a few seconds then not come on again for days or more even .

I need to get it to someone who knows what they are doing . i still feel im doomed tho .

the only way i can ride is by shifting up gears quickly to keep it below 6k ... ok so i get a nice low hummmm with no rattle , but it doesnt compare with the usual engine sound .

i'll maybe hav to keep riding like this until i get cash from a friend for my mito and buy another bike . im gutted as i really as i love the bike , and its also the rarest paint job , the black n silver one 1990 .

its a sad sad day for me boys , i think i'll go to sleep and maybe this will just be a bad dream ....

Last edited by streethawk; 09-29-2008 at 3:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 3:33 PM   #8
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 134
Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Sideshow bob

Originally Posted by streethawk View Post
cheers , that clears it up a little for me .

I need to get it to someone who knows what they are doing . i still feel im doomed tho .

as i love the bike , and its also the rarest paint job , the black n silver one 1990 .

its a sad sad day for me boys , i think i'll go to sleep and maybe this will just be a bad dream ....
keep a Look out for a replacement Engine, check the breakers yards, etc......
You may find it's cheeper to replace the whole lump than pay someone to fix it.....
Old 09-29-2008, 3:35 PM   #9

Reputation Power: 63
CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yikes. I'd say oil too. Same thing happened to a friend's car - no oil light, no noise, just a lot of smell (of oil), and sudden loss of power. He made it home, and the RAC man gave it some 2 bottles of oil and the dip stick was still barely registering. (Where the **** did all that oil go???) He had to get an engine rebuild in the end. Hope you're in a better position .... [fingers crossed]

Perhaps it's time to get a bore-up kit?

Originally Posted by Sideshow bob View Post
You may find it's cheeper to replace the whole lump than pay someone to fix it.....
But what about the vehicle registration? Different frame and engine number and all that...

This might be just me, but I'd rather deal with a garage than the DVLA ANY DAY!!
CBR Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 3:39 PM   #10
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 139
LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute LoopyLee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to LoopyLee Send a message via Skype™ to LoopyLee

Originally Posted by StrumminRonin View Post
But what about the vehicle registration? Different frame and engine number and all that...

This might be just me, but I'd rather deal with a garage than the DVLA ANY DAY!!
Just change the engine number on the log book and send it in to be changed.. easy peasy

Blade Rider

LoopyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 3:41 PM   #11

Reputation Power: 63
CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute CBR Nugget has a reputation beyond repute

Oh really?! Niiice...... (rubs hands together in glee....)
CBR Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 3:45 PM   #12
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 134
Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute Sideshow bob has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Sideshow bob

Originally Posted by StrumminRonin View Post
Oh really?! Niiice...... (rubs hands together in glee....)
Yes... Nothing stopping you shoehorning a bigger engine into your Baby when you get bored & it totally legal*

*as long as you inform DVLA, have correct licence, insurence etc
Old 09-30-2008, 8:56 AM   #13
Been down that road...

Reputation Power: 8
129CBRider is on a distinguished road

400cc replacement!
129CBRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #14

I was thinkn bout that , but i dunno if the engine would be to heavy for the suspension/rearshock ... or the frame for that matter .

The friend who sold me the bike said that it did this a couple of years back , and when he put the bike in for servicing it turned out to be a problem with the cam chain . Im gonna get it to the same servicer and see what happens .

If worst comes to the worst my friend is buying my mito , so i'll probably buy a VFR400 ... cos damn i love that bike , the sound and look is class
Old 09-30-2008, 3:31 PM   #15

thanks for advice chaps , ive been surprised at the quick response

so , its seems as tho im settling for an engine rebuild (if i cant find a GOOD engine ) and also tyga rc211v style fairings , to bring it up to date . Black is the colour

And to finish it all off .. the de-restricted cdi so i can get better sparking at higher revs ( 20,000 revs not 18,500 ), and a proper race can .
Ive heard the F1 kinda sound a good cbr250 can give ... i want it . I'll always keep the 250rr , as i can save up enough for an r6 really ..

Thanks to the mito , life will be sweeter than b4 .
good ridance to her too , the pest ...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Search tags for this page
2012 cbr250r rattling sound
91 cbr250rr engine rattle

cbr 250 engine noise

cbr 250r engine rattle to much
cbr250r engine noise

cbr250r engine rattle

cbr250r rattle

cbr250rr noisy whine
engine is loud cbr250rr
honda cbr250r engine noise
honda cbr250r rattle
noise cbr250
Click on a term to search for related topics.