Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade » Can't remove bar end...

Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 8:07 AM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
alottaboost is on a distinguished road
Can't remove bar end...

Seem to have some trouble removing the one remaining bar end on my bike. When I bought it, the right one appears to have broken off when it was dropped. I can turn the bar end, but the screw and the bar end spin together. It seems that the weight inside is spinning with the bar end and not loosening. Any ideas on how to remove this thing (besides dropping the bike on the left side )?
alottaboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-22-2009, 9:23 AM   #2
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 218
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can't remove bar end...

Originally Posted by alottaboost View Post
Seem to have some trouble removing the one remaining bar end on my bike. When I bought it, the right one appears to have broken off when it was dropped. I can turn the bar end, but the screw and the bar end spin together. It seems that the weight inside is spinning with the bar end and not loosening. Any ideas on how to remove this thing (besides dropping the bike on the left side )?
Have you tried (while pulling on the bar end) a drill or rattle gun?
Old 05-22-2009, 9:26 AM   #3

Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Have you tried (while pulling on the bar end) a drill or rattle gun?
Nope. That screw looks too easy to strip if I used anything other than a screwdriver...
Old 05-22-2009, 9:41 AM   #4
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 218
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alottaboost View Post
Nope. That screw looks too easy to strip if I used anything other than a screwdriver...
You mean you want to be able to reuse it afterwards?
When I eventually manage to get out a stubborn fastener it goes in the bin - I don't put it back in where I just got it out of :-)
You could try removing the clip-on, stand it vertically and spray WD40 or a light oil like INOX in and hope it lubricates the rubber enough to be able to pull the complete weight out in one piece but I'd be surprised if it'll work.
Otherwise you could grip the bar end in a vice and saw right through it until you cut the screw. then you just have to deal with getting the inner weight out which can be tough as well. One of mine came out easily but the other was a nightmare. I think I ended up going in with something sharp and chewing the rubber to pieces before eventually getting it out.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #5

Reputation Power: 8
The Gerd has a spectacular aura about The Gerd has a spectacular aura about

I had a similar problem on my 08 CBR 1000RR when I wanted o put R&G Racing bar ends on it. Basically the left side would not come off, and then it started spinning in the clip on.

So what I did was, take a medium sized set of vice grips and clamp it to the bar end, I'm only assuming your bike has enough bar end to grip onto. Once you have it clamped on there take a screw driver that fits the screw perfectly, and by perfectly I mean doesnt have any play at all, I had access to a full mechanics set of tools so I really didnt pay attention to what size it really was.

Once I did all this I had a friend hold the vice grip while I took a rubber mallet and tapped the end of the screw driver while turning it. The screw came out and there was much rejoicing.

The only problems I see with this is that the screw head looked like crap, and the bar end itself was scarred from the vice grip. I didnt care since I was replacing them with the R&G ones. So I would suggest going out and getting some after market ends and just doing it this way.
The Gerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #6

Originally Posted by The Gerd View Post
I had a similar problem on my 08 CBR 1000RR when I wanted o put R&G Racing bar ends on it. Basically the left side would not come off, and then it started spinning in the clip on.

So what I did was, take a medium sized set of vice grips and clamp it to the bar end, I'm only assuming your bike has enough bar end to grip onto. Once you have it clamped on there take a screw driver that fits the screw perfectly, and by perfectly I mean doesnt have any play at all, I had access to a full mechanics set of tools so I really didnt pay attention to what size it really was.

Once I did all this I had a friend hold the vice grip while I took a rubber mallet and tapped the end of the screw driver while turning it. The screw came out and there was much rejoicing.

The only problems I see with this is that the screw head looked like crap, and the bar end itself was scarred from the vice grip. I didnt care since I was replacing them with the R&G ones. So I would suggest going out and getting some after market ends and just doing it this way.
Sounds like a plan. I'll just ride into the auto parts store (I know I don't have one that fits exactly) and pick one that fits perfect. I don't plan you reusing them, just replacing as I don't have a match and this one's a little scratched up anyways. Thanks guys!
Old 05-22-2009, 3:09 PM   #7

cerberusnm is on a distinguished road

Instead of the hammer and the Mallet you can try an impact driver, ( available at most auto parts stores) and it might do the job without using vise grips.
cerberusnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 6:20 AM   #8

Reputation Power: 8
sb1000rr will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to sb1000rr

i used an impact driver and vice grips to get the stubborn bastid out of mine
sb1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #9

Reputation Power: 7
JSquier is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sb1000rr View Post
i used an impact driver and vice grips to get the stubborn bastid out of mine
That's what I did, worked like a champ. I borrowed one, so not sure how much $$ they cost but they are nice to have around the house anyways.
JSquier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #10

robertseber is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to robertseber

i agree impact driver works like a charm a tool needed in every box imho
robertseber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #11

I just went to Harbor Freight yesterday and bought one for $2.99. It was marked 5.99 tho. Don't know how it works, but for $3, who cares lol
Old 06-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #12

Reputation Power: 12
BigBassTurd is a glorious beacon of light BigBassTurd is a glorious beacon of light BigBassTurd is a glorious beacon of light BigBassTurd is a glorious beacon of light BigBassTurd is a glorious beacon of light BigBassTurd is a glorious beacon of light

I had one that I actually had to split the clip-on in two to get it out. Luckily the clip-on was bent and was trash anyways. The rubber on the bar-end seems to vulcanize(stick) itself to the inside of the clip-on after a long period of time.
BigBassTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
Out Of Many, We Are One

Reputation Power: 54
Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute Twincam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JSquier View Post
I just went to Harbor Freight yesterday and bought one for $2.99. It was marked 5.99 tho. Don't know how it works, but for $3, who cares lol
An Impact Driver?
Old 06-15-2009, 1:02 PM   #14

robertseber is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to robertseber

Impact driver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you hit the back with a hammer and it goes down and turns at same time

or was you saying damn thats cheap if so i agree 6$ wth
robertseber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 1:25 PM   #15

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Search tags for this page

2009 600rr remove bar ends

how can i unscrew the end weights off my vespa
how to change bar ends on a motorcycle
how to get motorcycle handlebar ends off
how to remove a broken bar end on a street bike

how to remove bar ends

how to remove bar ends motorcycle

how to remove broken bar ends
how to remove broken bar ends on a sportbike
how to remove grip ends honda hornet
my bar ends on my motorcycle wont come off what should i do
stripped bar end screw 600rr
Click on a term to search for related topics.