Rough Idle at low rpm lacks power - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-09-2009, 5:24 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-14-2007
Location: canada
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10
 
Rough Idle at low rpm lacks power

So at idle my 929 makes a knocking noise then the rpms drop down and sometimes it will shut off. When riding it doesn't have the power it should in the low rpms. the knock doesn't happen all the time its when its been running for a few min. then it starts and it doesn't do it if I rev it up. In the video you can hear it near the end and the bike shuts off. Also when the knock happens the exhaust pops almost like its not firing right. Just want to hear your idea's before I take it all apart.

YouTube - Untitled
malleybike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 06-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 50
Posts: 32,035
Images: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227
                     
Re: Rough Idle at low rpm lacks power

Quote:
Originally Posted by malleybike View Post
So at idle my 929 makes a knocking noise then the rpms drop down and sometimes it will shut off. When riding it doesn't have the power it should in the low rpms. the knock doesn't happen all the time its when its been running for a few min. then it starts and it doesn't do it if I rev it up. In the video you can hear it near the end and the bike shuts off. Also when the knock happens the exhaust pops almost like its not firing right. Just want to hear your idea's before I take it all apart.

YouTube - Untitled
Anything been done to the bike or did this start out of the blue?
Have you dropped the oil to see if there's any metal in it?
You said it lacks power at low revs - how low?
But it's fine above that point?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 PM
 
Join Date: 12-19-2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 33
                     
Re: Rough Idle at low rpm lacks power

Sounds cam chain and/or tensioner related. How many miles on the bike?
denzee is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 06-09-2009, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-14-2007
Location: canada
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10
 
Re: Rough Idle at low rpm lacks power

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Anything been done to the bike or did this start out of the blue?
Have you dropped the oil to see if there's any metal in it?
You said it lacks power at low revs - how low?
But it's fine above that point?
Just put the bike together had to get the engine case welded. It sat for a year couldn't stop the stator from leaking, SO not sure if it did it before because I never ran it that long.
Around 5000rpms it feels better but the engine also seems to vibrate the bike alot if I go up to 7-8000. I'm starting to think it is the cam chain, when I was just running it i put the idle up to 2000(so it would make the knock) and it does sound like the chain is makeing a noise. If you have any other ideas let me know Do what to really do anything that isn't going to work.
malleybike is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 06-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 50
Posts: 32,035
Images: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227
                     
Re: Rough Idle at low rpm lacks power

Quote:
Originally Posted by malleybike View Post
Just put the bike together had to get the engine case welded. It sat for a year couldn't stop the stator from leaking, SO not sure if it did it before because I never ran it that long.
Around 5000rpms it feels better but the engine also seems to vibrate the bike alot if I go up to 7-8000. I'm starting to think it is the cam chain, when I was just running it i put the idle up to 2000(so it would make the knock) and it does sound like the chain is makeing a noise. If you have any other ideas let me know Do what to really do anything that isn't going to work.
Was the engine removed and/or diassembled for welding?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 06-10-2009, 1:23 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-14-2007
Location: canada
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10
 
Re: Rough Idle at low rpm lacks power

it was just removed it wasn't taken apart
malleybike is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 06-22-2009, 2:40 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-14-2007
Location: canada
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10
 
Re: Rough Idle at low rpm lacks power

So found out that I had #2 - #3 coils switched....I hope that was the big problem
malleybike is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Search tags for this page
2006 honda shadow spirit 750rough idle
,
honda gl500 1982 how many rpms should it idle
,

how many rpms should my motorcycle idle at

,
how to fix a rough idle in a honda shadow motorcycle
,

motorcycle lacks power

,

motorcycle runs rough at low rpm

,
my 125cc motorcycle lacking power
,
my honda motorcyle idle revs vary
,
my honda valkyrie runs rough at low rpms
,

why is my motorcycle idle low

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rough Idle BurtonF166 Honda FireBlade 4 04-20-2009 4:32 PM
rough idle after riding? joshw Honda FireBlade 2 02-16-2009 12:48 AM
Rough idle on F3!? blkpitbull Honda CBR 600 2 10-26-2008 10:09 AM
Engine noise/very rough idle at startup Mavic Honda FireBlade 15 05-23-2004 8:22 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome