Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade » 929 jerks and hesitates around 3 to 4k rpms

Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010, 1:32 AM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
alanrey82 is on a distinguished road
929 jerks and hesitates around 3 to 4k rpms

ok so this is my first bike i bought it from a guy for really cheap he thought it had a bad motor and couldnt get it to start my friend is a bike tech and we looked at it drained the tank since it sat for almost a year filled it back up put in new battery and it started up but ran kinda funny i found out that a vacuum line was disconnected put it back on and while in neutral it revs fine but while riding it jerks and hesitates bad which starts around 3k or 4k rpms but clears up and goes after a sec no matter what gear it is throwing a code 34 but i looked and saw that the servo motor is not there it had a power commander on it but when i plugged it back in it wouldnt start i saw an old registration in the back under the tank and found out it used to be a friends of mine who was a pro stunter he said it was his race toy and it has about 10k in the motor however my other friend said he tends to blow things out of proportion sometimes my main question i guess would be what else would make it hesitate like that if the servo is already removed sorry for the long post but just wanted to give you all the whole story
alanrey82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-27-2010, 6:31 AM   #2
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 210
bladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 929 jerks and hesitates around 3 to 4k rpms

Originally Posted by alanrey82 View Post
ok so this is my first bike i bought it from a guy for really cheap he thought it had a bad motor and couldnt get it to start my friend is a bike tech and we looked at it drained the tank since it sat for almost a year filled it back up put in new battery and it started up but ran kinda funny i found out that a vacuum line was disconnected put it back on and while in neutral it revs fine but while riding it jerks and hesitates bad which starts around 3k or 4k rpms but clears up and goes after a sec no matter what gear it is throwing a code 34 but i looked and saw that the servo motor is not there it had a power commander on it but when i plugged it back in it wouldnt start i saw an old registration in the back under the tank and found out it used to be a friends of mine who was a pro stunter he said it was his race toy and it has about 10k in the motor however my other friend said he tends to blow things out of proportion sometimes my main question i guess would be what else would make it hesitate like that if the servo is already removed sorry for the long post but just wanted to give you all the whole story
Pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator, prime the fuel pump and look for fuel coming out. It should be dry.
Code 34 is merely telling you the servo motor is missing. As long as the airbox flapper has been removed and the HTEV is set to one of its three positions it's fine.
Is the throttle position light working on the Power Commander?
Is it properly earthed to the battery negative?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #3

it has been awhile since i tried to put the pc on i remember it had one green light and that was it i can try again i got all day also is there a link here where i can dl the service manuel thanx in advance
Old 06-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Global Moderator

bladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

it has been awhile since i tried to put the pc on i remember it had one green light and that was it i can try again i got all day also is there a link here where i can dl the service manuel thanx in advance

PC's are known to fail so it may be bad but it's worth checking it out.
Just search via Google or Torrents and you'll find all the manuals you would want.
Old 06-27-2010, 1:34 PM   #5

well after reading your post i realized that last time i hooked the pc wire to the positive this time i hooked it to the neg and it started right up the idle was a little jumpy and within a minute the temp was 140f so i cut it off it usually sits around 119 or so im pretty sure i have only put about 25 miles on it since i got it in april i didnt hear the fan kick in either when i shut it off its kinda a pain to walk from here to the garage to post so if anyone knowledgable would like to pm their number it would be greatly appreciated like i said i am a noob to bikes i can tear my mustang apart but but dont know **** about bikes lol
Old 06-27-2010, 1:37 PM   #6

also it smelled a little rich and some black smoke came out when i hit the throttle at first but stopped after a few times also what do the three buttons on the pc do i think they say low med high or something im assuming it will boost power at that rpm range but not really sure maybe just a air/fuel mix combo making it richer with each step
Old 06-27-2010, 1:38 PM   #7
Global Moderator

well after reading your post i realized that last time i hooked the pc wire to the positive this time i hooked it to the neg and it started right up the idle was a little jumpy and within a minute the temp was 140f so i cut it off it usually sits around 119 or so im pretty sure i have only put about 25 miles on it since i got it in april i didnt hear the fan kick in either when i shut it off its kinda a pain to walk from here to the garage to post so if anyone knowledgable would like to pm their number it would be greatly appreciated like i said i am a noob to bikes i can tear my mustang apart but but dont know **** about bikes lol
140F?
Normal operating temperature is around 185 or higher. The fan doesn't come in until around 215F.
Old 06-27-2010, 1:40 PM   #8
Global Moderator

also it smelled a little rich and some black smoke came out when i hit the throttle at first but stopped after a few times also what do the three buttons on the pc do i think they say low med high or something im assuming it will boost power at that rpm range but not really sure maybe just a air/fuel mix combo making it richer with each step
If it smells of fuel check the fuel pressure regulator as I said earlier.
The PC buttons are for altering the mapping. No, it doesn't boost power at all :-)
Go to www.powercommander.com and download the manual and software for it. You can also grab some maps if you plan to mess with it.
Old 06-27-2010, 1:42 PM   #9

lol yeah i just looked up the reg temp i might have just mistaked the 219 for 119 just wanted to make sure before i blew my motor like i said major noob i was wondering if you could help me find the vacuum line i need to check to see if my fuel reg is bad please call me if you got time thanx 386 216 3702 or anyone that can help for that matter
Old 06-27-2010, 1:48 PM   #10
Global Moderator

lol yeah i just looked up the reg temp i might have just mistaked the 219 for 119 just wanted to make sure before i blew my motor like i said major noob i was wondering if you could help me find the vacuum line i need to check to see if my fuel reg is bad please call me if you got time thanx 386 216 3702 or anyone that can help for that matter
If you're new to this stuff you need to get yourself a manual before you go much further.
The pressure regulator is part #20 and the vacuum line is indicated by E-18-1.
It's 0143hrs here in Australia just now and I'm ready for bed :-)
Attached Thumbnails
929throttlebodies.gif‎  
Old 06-27-2010, 2:10 PM   #11

oh didnt realize you were so far away i just checked the fuel reg and no fuel came out when i turned it to the on position took it for a quich spin and it feels more p[owerful and responsive with the pc but im still getting the jerk and hesitation around 3.5 to 4k rpms any more suggestions that i could check injectors or spark plugs maybe?
Old 06-27-2010, 2:13 PM   #12
Global Moderator

oh didnt realize you were so far away i just checked the fuel reg and no fuel came out when i turned it to the on position took it for a quich spin and it feels more powerful and responsive with the pc but im still getting the jerk and hesitation around 3.5 to 4k rpms any more suggestions that i could check injectors or spark plugs maybe?

Sounds like the regulator is fine but check it regularly as it will fail one day.
You can try checking the HTEV is correctly positioned and functioning as that turns at 3000rpm.
Don't bother checking plugs. If you have reason to suspect them just replace them. They're not much fun to do and they're not expensive so if you pull them out it's silly putting old plugs back in.
Get a workshop manual and bring all the maintenance items up to date.
Old 06-27-2010, 2:17 PM   #13

do you have a drw up of that as well not really sure what and where it is located also if you know where i can just download the manual it would be greatly appreciated i gotta order one and it will take awhile to get here thanx
Old 06-27-2010, 2:20 PM   #14
Global Moderator

do you have a drw up of that as well not really sure what and where it is located also if you know where i can just download the manual it would be greatly appreciated i gotta order one and it will take awhile to get here thanx
The HTEV is in the exhaust collector but it's best if you get the manual first to check it's set correctly.
The manual is readily available all over the web so just search for it.
Links are not allowed on this forum as the manuals are illegally distributed in breach of copyright.
Attached Thumbnails
929exhaust.gif‎  
Old 06-27-2010, 2:25 PM   #15

could you give me the number location please also is it possible that mine has been removed i have nothing on my exhaust other than a slip on i believe it was all replaced with aftermarket

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Search tags for this page
cbr stutter around 4k rmp
exhaust servo removal 929
honda cbr 929 jerks while riding
motorcycle hesitates at 1/2
motorcycle jerking while riding
motorcycle jerks
motorcycle jerks at high rpm
motorcycle jerks when riding

motorcycle jerks while riding

motorcycle lurches at low speed
my motorcycle is jerking
my motorcycle jerks at high rpm
Click on a term to search for related topics.