Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles

Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 1:03 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
RockDawg is on a distinguished road
93 900RR no spark

Hello, please help if you can. Last week the motor started fine, while letting it idle and warm up, it died. After some checking I found I have no spark to the plugs (all of them). I found the coils getting power with the key and run switch on, and after more testing I found only .2 - .5 volts coming out of my pulse generator. If I checked it correctly.. I just unplugged the connection between the CDI and the pulse Generator, put my multimeter on 2V and turned over the bike. By reading others threads it sounds like mine should be .7 or higher. Is that correct?

If the pulse generator is bad, where do I get a new one? Iím finding a 97 pulse generator on E-bay but nothing 93-95. Do I need to stick with those years, or will any 900RR through 99 work?
RockDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-28-2011, 6:51 PM   #2

Reputation Power: 4
Tomonet will become famous soon enough
Re: 93 900RR no spark

929 sudden no start no fire/no fuel

Might be worth checking your ignition wiring as per the above maybe..??
Tomonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 8:03 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Tomonet View Post
929 sudden no start no fire/no fuel

Might be worth checking your ignition wiring as per the above maybe..??
Thank you. I did find that thread and did some checking before posting my question. My wiring all looks fine and I'm a little concerned about poking holes in the covering of them to do a line check. I don't think it is the wiring because it was running and then without moving it or anything it started to run rough, like it was loading up then died. I've done a fair amount of searching and testing. I'm getting fuel. I have power to the coils. I really think it is the pulse generator from the threads I've read. But I can not find a new one on any of the normal websites I have searched. I can not even find it on the Direct Honda sight. Honda Motorcycle Parts: ATV Accessories, Dirt Bike Scooter Cruiser Touring OEM Parts Off Road Motorcycles Sport ATVs Starter Motors Honda Parts Direct
Or places like,http://www.solomotoparts.com/search....=search&page=3,
Or E-bay..I can only find old used ones and NONE that are 93-95.

I don't know if a 96-99 will work. Does anyone know if they will?

I'm also wanting confirmation I did the pulse test correct. Unplug it, set the meter to 2V then turn it over like you are going to start it. Is that process correct? If so, then mine shows .2 to .5 From what I've read it needs to be .7 or higher for the CDI box to send the pulse to the coils.

Can anyone confirm and or, find me a new or.. If I have to.. Good used 93-95 pulse generator?

Thanks again!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #4

Reputation Power: 11
unfetteredmight is a glorious beacon of light unfetteredmight is a glorious beacon of light unfetteredmight is a glorious beacon of light unfetteredmight is a glorious beacon of light unfetteredmight is a glorious beacon of light unfetteredmight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to unfetteredmight

Originally Posted by RockDawg View Post
Thank you. I did find that thread and did some checking before posting my question. My wiring all looks fine and I'm a little concerned about poking holes in the covering of them to do a line check. I don't think it is the wiring because it was running and then without moving it or anything it started to run rough, like it was loading up then died. I've done a fair amount of searching and testing. I'm getting fuel. I have power to the coils. I really think it is the pulse generator from the threads I've read. But I can not find a new one on any of the normal websites I have searched. I can not even find it on the Direct Honda sight. Honda Motorcycle Parts: ATV Accessories, Dirt Bike Scooter Cruiser Touring OEM Parts Off Road Motorcycles Sport ATVs Starter Motors Honda Parts Direct
Or places like,http://www.solomotoparts.com/search....=search&page=3,
Or E-bay..I can only find old used ones and NONE that are 93-95.

I don't know if a 96-99 will work. Does anyone know if they will?

I'm also wanting confirmation I did the pulse test correct. Unplug it, set the meter to 2V then turn it over like you are going to start it. Is that process correct? If so, then mine shows .2 to .5 From what I've read it needs to be .7 or higher for the CDI box to send the pulse to the coils.

Can anyone confirm and or, find me a new or.. If I have to.. Good used 93-95 pulse generator?

Thanks again!
As long as your meter was set to AC and not DC scale then yes, it's bad.

Cross reference parts numbers in the fiche here to see which ones are compatible with your bike.

Ronayers.com Ron Ayers Motorsports

Also, the ECM doesn't send a pulse to the coils, the coils are always charging and it shuts off the ground, thereby collapsing the magnetic field and causing the charge to jump to the secondary side and then to the plug. Important to know how a system works if you want to properly diagnose it.
unfetteredmight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #5

Reputation Power: 10
900RR is a glorious beacon of light 900RR is a glorious beacon of light 900RR is a glorious beacon of light 900RR is a glorious beacon of light 900RR is a glorious beacon of light 900RR is a glorious beacon of light

The requested information you wanted,,,30300-MW0-003 is the pulse generator part number and covers from 1993 to 1999 900RR models.
900RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #6

Originally Posted by unfetteredmight View Post
As long as your meter was set to AC and not DC scale then yes, it's bad.

Cross reference parts numbers in the fiche here to see which ones are compatible with your bike.

Ronayers.com Ron Ayers Motorsports

Also, the ECM doesn't send a pulse to the coils, the coils are always charging and it shuts off the ground, thereby collapsing the magnetic field and causing the charge to jump to the secondary side and then to the plug. Important to know how a system works if you want to properly diagnose it.
Originally Posted by 900RR View Post
The requested information you wanted,,,30300-MW0-003 is the pulse generator part number and covers from 1993 to 1999 900RR models.
Thanks to both of you! I'll triple check my meter and setting that was on AC and will check it again before ordering it. I knew the coils are always charging but thought the pulse generator needed .7 or higher for the CDI to understand it was a pulse and to send the signal to the coils to have them discharge. Thinking about it more you are correct in the fact the wires have power in them now and the CDI must ground them out for the pulse.

I still can not find a new part to order. Does it have a different name? I can not find it on the laser fiche under electrical, or wiring. If checked every logical place on the fiche I can think of. I'll check with my local Honda dealer and see if they can find it and if so how much.

Can anyone tell me why this part would go bad.. AGAIN? Can using a trickle charger (2 amp) turned on and hooked to the battery during a start fry the pulse generator? The person I bought the motor from had to replace the pulse generator just before I got it. She got a used one off of E-bay and if it is truly bad, then it didn't last 100 miles. Seems strange to me to have a second pulse generator go bad in such a short amount of time. The wires from the pulse generator, though the connector to the CDI are all stock and unmodified. The wires coming our of the CDI to the new coils have been cut and replaced. They look correctly done with the same size wire as what comes out of the CDI and are nicely soldered and heat shrieked back together. I didn’t even know they had been replaced until last night when I cut into the wiring harness so I could do a continuity test on the wires...
Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #7

Originally Posted by 900RR View Post
Great! Thank you. I was able to find it becasue you posted the part number. Wow I struggled looking for this part online. I problably spent 4+ hours looking without finding it.

Thanks again for your help! I'll order it today and hope the bike will be ready to ride by this nice weekend comming up!!
Old 03-29-2011, 3:07 PM   #8

Reputation Power: 10
900RR is a glorious beacon of light 900RR is a glorious beacon of light 900RR is a glorious beacon of light 900RR is a glorious beacon of light 900RR is a glorious beacon of light 900RR is a glorious beacon of light

The pulse generator is shown on the page with the front right side engine case cover and its related parts. Its not where you were looking.
900RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 3:12 PM   #9

Reputation Power: 11
unfetteredmight is a glorious beacon of light unfetteredmight is a glorious beacon of light unfetteredmight is a glorious beacon of light unfetteredmight is a glorious beacon of light unfetteredmight is a glorious beacon of light unfetteredmight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to unfetteredmight

Thanks to both of you! I'll triple check my meter and setting that was on AC and will check it again before ordering it. I knew the coils are always charging but thought the pulse generator needed .7 or higher for the CDI to understand it was a pulse and to send the signal to the coils to have them discharge. Thinking about it more you are correct in the fact the wires have power in them now and the CDI must ground them out for the pulse.
It does need .7 or higher.

The ECM(CDI) is always grounding the coils to charge them and then when it receives a signal from the IPG, it disconnects the ground to fire the appropriate coil.

Can anyone tell me why this part would go bad.. AGAIN? Can using a trickle charger (2 amp) turned on and hooked to the battery during a start fry the pulse generator? The person I bought the motor from had to replace the pulse generator just before I got it. She got a used one off of E-bay and if it is truly bad, then it didn't last 100 miles. Seems strange to me to have a second pulse generator go bad in such a short amount of time. The wires from the pulse generator, though the connector to the CDI are all stock and unmodified. The wires coming our of the CDI to the new coils have been cut and replaced. They look correctly done with the same size wire as what comes out of the CDI and are nicely soldered and heat shrieked back together. I didnít even know they had been replaced until last night when I cut into the wiring harness so I could do a continuity test on the wires...
I got a used kill switch off ebay once, it was bad too. Ebay = used parts (usually). As for the wiring repair, sounds like they did it correctly.

Double check the IPG signal on AC scale, if it is testing below .7 then replace it, if that doesn't fix it (it probably will) then we can go from there.
unfetteredmight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 2:31 AM   #10

carb900fan is on a distinguished road

Question! i'm having the same problem crank no start and no spark. How exactly did you go about testing the IPG
carb900fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Search tags for this page

900rr no spark

93 900rr no spark

99 fireblade where do the coils ground

cbr 900 no spark

cbr 900 rr and 600 cdi compatible?

cbr 900rr no spark

cbr900rr no spark

motorcycle losing spark when warm

motorcycle no spark when hot

no spark 900rr

no spark on my 93 900rr

trail 70 wiring no spark

Click on a term to search for related topics.