Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade » how will changing my gearing effect my milage

Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
comokiller is on a distinguished road
how will changing my gearing effect my milage

00 929 has 15 front 46 rear
comokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-02-2011, 1:29 PM   #2
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 214
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: how will changing my gearing effect my milage

Originally Posted by comokiller View Post
00 929 has 15 front 46 rear

Lowering the gearing just allows the engine to rev higher at the same road speeds.
Those extra revs mean you burn more fuel.
Old 04-02-2011, 1:34 PM   #3

comokiller is on a distinguished road

how does the bike read mileage ?? is it mechanical ?? like in the gear box or something?
comokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 1:37 PM   #4
Global Moderator

bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comokiller View Post
how does the bike read mileage ?? is it mechanical ?? like in the gear box or something?

Do you mean the odometer?
It uses a speed sensor to count the revolutions of the output shaft.
Lowering the gearing will make your speedo and odo read higher.
Old 04-02-2011, 3:35 PM   #5

Reputation Power: 5
cbr guy will become famous soon enough cbr guy will become famous soon enough

you will see poorer gas mileage...
cbr guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 5:04 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 48
backdoc has a reputation beyond repute backdoc has a reputation beyond repute backdoc has a reputation beyond repute backdoc has a reputation beyond repute backdoc has a reputation beyond repute backdoc has a reputation beyond repute backdoc has a reputation beyond repute backdoc has a reputation beyond repute backdoc has a reputation beyond repute backdoc has a reputation beyond repute backdoc has a reputation beyond repute

With a -1 front sprocket on my 954 when I ride 1 mile it shows 1.1-1.2 on the speedo. I checked it using mile posts on the interstate. So with lower gearing changes it could be off much more. This can add up fast and make your bike look as though it has more miles on it than it actually does. It also makes it hard to determine gas mileage because your trip mileage is higher than it should be inflating your mpg.
2003 CBR954 - Hindle High Mount w/ Ceramic Evolution Muffler, PCIII w/Hub&Quickshifter, Custom Tune 146.5HP/71, 40 Shot NOS, BMC Race Filter, Factory Pro Evo shift kit, 520 Chain -1/+5, Swingarm Extensions 9", Racetech G2R Gold Valves, GPR V4 Damper, OE Solo Cowl, Adj Lowering Link, Shinko Hook-up tire
backdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
With a -1 front sprocket on my 954 when I ride 1 mile it shows 1.1-1.2 on the speedo. I checked it using mile posts on the interstate. So with lower gearing changes it could be off much more. This can add up fast and make your bike look as though it has more miles on it than it actually does. It also makes it hard to determine gas mileage because your trip mileage is higher than it should be inflating your mpg.

Gearing changes are simple percentages so it's not at all difficult to work out how much difference it makes to the speedo and odo.
If your final ratio is 16/48 or 3.0:1 for example, and you drop one front tooth to 15/48 or 3.2:1 then you have lowered your gearing by 7%. Your speedo and odo will thus read 7% higher.
Old 04-03-2011, 1:46 AM   #8
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 151
jondog9 has a reputation beyond repute jondog9 has a reputation beyond repute jondog9 has a reputation beyond repute jondog9 has a reputation beyond repute jondog9 has a reputation beyond repute jondog9 has a reputation beyond repute jondog9 has a reputation beyond repute jondog9 has a reputation beyond repute jondog9 has a reputation beyond repute jondog9 has a reputation beyond repute jondog9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Gearing changes are simple percentages so it's not at all difficult to work out how much difference it makes to the speedo and odo.
If your final ratio is 16/48 or 3.0:1 for example, and you drop one front tooth to 15/48 or 3.2:1 then you have lowered your gearing by 7%. Your speedo and odo will thus read 7% higher.
you're so right! It is pretty simple. I'm speaking strictly from my experience with my RC51 tho. I'm not familiar with factory gearing on the Blades and if it even makes sense to change it. But it does on the RC. Stock is a 530-16/40. The most common swap is 15/42. That makes the rc more spirited in lower gears and lower rpms. Here's a good link that goes in depth.

ROGUE RC51 Common Gearing

I apoligize if this has been posted a hundred times before, kinda brand new to this forum
jondog9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 3:51 PM   #9

KeenGolfer is on a distinguished road

You won't necessarily see poorer economy, it will depend on your riding style and type of riding. Whilst I haven't changed the gearing on my 929 I have on my previous bike (-1 on the front) and it made no difference to the economy that I could tell and I measured economy on every tank fill.
KeenGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 6:18 PM   #10

Reputation Power: 5
letsride has a spectacular aura about letsride has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to letsride

you should only see about a 10 mi difference per tank with the gearing change.
letsride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 9:36 PM   #11
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by drewbytes View Post
You won't necessarily see poorer economy, it will depend on your riding style and type of riding. Whilst I haven't changed the gearing on my 929 I have on my previous bike (-1 on the front) and it made no difference to the economy that I could tell and I measured economy on every tank fill.

Did you remember to deduct the extra miles from the trip meter?
Old 04-05-2011, 7:14 AM   #12

KeenGolfer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Did you remember to deduct the extra miles from the trip meter?
Yeah. Checked speedo before/after with GPS. Can't remember how much speedo was out now, but from what I could tell it made 2/5 of SFA difference to economy.
KeenGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 7:23 AM   #13
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by drewbytes View Post
Yeah. Checked speedo before/after with GPS. Can't remember how much speedo was out now, but from what I could tell it made 2/5 of SFA difference to economy.

It depends on how accurately you're measuring your fuel economy.
But -1 off the front is a pretty minor drop in gearing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Search tags for this page
bigger sprocket affecting mileage
changing gear raito doesnt change thw milage
changing gears on bike effect odometer
does gearing motorcycle affect odometer
how much is mpg affected by changing sprocket size
how will changing gears effect my gas mileage
lower the gear ratio can affect motorbike
motorbike gearing for economy

motorcycle changing gears for gas mileage

motorcycle mileage after gear change
sprocket change fuel mileage
what is the best gear ratio for gas mileage for a motorcycle
Click on a term to search for related topics.