Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles

Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 3:49 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 7
Racing is just really nice Racing is just really nice Racing is just really nice Racing is just really nice
900RR clutch

Right. I just bought me an old -93 vintage blade. As iīve took it upon myself to just give things in general a go over i took the clutch down.
Q is;
Does the early blades all carry 9 friction discs? Cause when i take a look in the OEM -96;er manual it sure looks like the 919 carries 10.
Or an i just barking up an empty tree here?
Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 219
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 900RR clutch

Originally Posted by Racing View Post
Right. I just bought me an old -93 vintage blade. As iīve took it upon myself to just give things in general a go over i took the clutch down.
Q is;
Does the early blades all carry 9 friction discs? Cause when i take a look in the OEM -96;er manual it sure looks like the 919 carries 10.
Or an i just barking up an empty tree here?

Nine, but it may not be the original clutch.
OEM Parts Honda CBR954RR (CBR900RR) 1993 CLUTCH - Cheap Cycle Parts
Old 07-15-2011, 6:19 AM   #3

Racing is just really nice Racing is just really nice Racing is just really nice Racing is just really nice

True.
I measured them tho and they clicked at just over 3mm thickness. The issue is that when i picked the bike up all slack in the adjustment dept was used up.
Took the clutch apart and checked and the thing is that i didnīt really find anything out of normal.
So,to get the lever at the engine side more in phase as far as correct angle vs the wire what i did was that i turned a 5mm spacer in the lathe and installed that between the actuator(pt 13 in the scetch) and the throwout bearing-kind of problem solved cause all the adjuster could be turned back asf.....and the clutch sure turned a LOT lighter as the lever was set at a more appropriate angle due to a more correct tangial movement.

Now..it doesnīt slip as is. Iīve got no appreciable wear at the longitudal actuator bar...nor at the actuator itself,not that i can see at least,but i appreciate that something is amiss here and the Q is what?

Donīt get me wrong!
Clutch works all fine n dandy. Thatīs not the issue. Itīs just that my homebrew 5mm spacer of course shouldnīt be needed to make this work.
Old 07-15-2011, 7:44 PM   #4

Reputation Power: 9
98cbr9rr is just really nice 98cbr9rr is just really nice 98cbr9rr is just really nice 98cbr9rr is just really nice 98cbr9rr is just really nice

Please let us know if you find out what the issue is, Im all out of adujustment space as well and my clutch is fine. Had me scratching my head as well, altough I did find out that the springs in my bike are not stock.....all except 1!!!!wtf This bike came from the land of the hack if you ask me.
98cbr9rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #5

Iīd be happy to.
What you can do,as a temp fix,is to do what i did. Just turn a small spacer of 5mm height.(Any machine shop should be able to pull that for a pack of coffee..)
Get the pressure plate off the bike. I presume youīre aware that you need to unbolt the 6 (?) screws holding the pressureplate springs and pressure plate in place.

As you get the pressureplate off of there the actuator and throwout bearing will follow suite.
Take the actuator out of the throwout bearing and install the spacer onto the actuator,where the throwout bearing resided earlier. Then install the bearing ontop of the spacer.
Put it all back together and in doing so check to see that the actuator still has freedome of movement back and forth with finger pressure ONLY. This freeplay is what sets the angle of the clutch arm that you activate with the clutch wire and the point here is to check that the armtravel in "idle" so to say is past the center/tangents position for the arm.
This way the arm will travel over the point of maximum fulcrum as you depress the clutch and that brings that the gearing of the arm will be put through its maximum-which in turn is what can be felt in the clutchlever as it turns MUCH softer to use.

Point here is...this way,with the little spacer installed,you havenīt really destroyed anything. It is a quick fix to alleviate the issue at hand-which is a clutchlever that first and foremost canīt be adjusted and whatīs more,by that,just turns heavier to work than it should.
Ie; if we DO find out why this is....u can just pick it apart and toss the spacer out of there and til we do..it is a quick fix to handle the problem at least.
Old 07-19-2011, 4:56 PM   #6

Have given this some thought...and first of all it might very well be that Bladeracer hit a point.
The friction discs might FIT alright...that is NOT to say that they are the stock thickness for an early Blade.
For the -96 vs the late -97 alone Honda specs a thickness difference of approx 0.3mm.
That stack up...as 9 discs times 0.3mm in this case turns out to almost 3mm.
Have in mind that the shim i turned in my lathe...i made 5mm thick and that makes the whole thing work as clockwork.
Now...if we presume slight differences in steel thickness too...that also stacks up..

Zee....just like you i have no issues per se with my clutch at all. Doesnīt slip or anything of the sorts. It is JUST a question of set height for the activator that works the throwoutbearing alone...which if left unaltered will have you use up all of the adjustment of the clutchwire.

Now...like in your case my clutchsprings hasnīt been left alone either. In my case though they look like the originals itīs just that they for some reason are shimmed. To use shims for a coilspring to develop any serious difference in clamping pressure...yeah well...2mm wonīt really suffice for much.
Dunno at your end but around here a popular mod to more or less any high power bike is to use the Hayabusa dittos. In short? No matter what spring really as it is within realms and gets the job done.

So.
What iīm proposing is that there really isnīt anything wrong with our clutches...very much like what BR implies....itīs just that although our friction discs FIT...that doesnīt say they are the correct thickness,and if someone around with the OEM spec for the early blades could voice up here...that might very well be log,stock n barrel...in which case i at least advice you to turn a spacer like i did on a lathe...easy enough to do as long as the lathe is there and is all in all a to the letter 5 min job.
What i in that case CAN tell you is that if your frictions clock in at 3mm+....a total 5mm spacer between the activator and the throwout bearing WILL do the trick. Difference in force needed to work the clutch is like night n day even...it turns that much smoother.

Btw.
When having your clutch apart in such a scenario it might be an idea to have an orbital sander with some 120 grit at hand. Sand each steel a minimal amount on both sides before putting it all together again. Just a word of advice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Search tags for this page
1993 honda cbr900rr clutch adjustment
93 honda cbr900rr clutch not working

94 cbr 900 clutch

cbr 900 clutch bearing replacement
clutch actuator bearings cbr900rr
clutch for 900 cbr
clutch slips on my 95 cbr can i refurbish it to make it work again

clutch wear cbr 900

honda cbr 900rr oem clutch
how many friction plates and metal disc does a 95 honda 900rr have
how to repair the push and pull cable on 1993 honda cbr 900 rr
my 93cbr 900 needs coil packs
Click on a term to search for related topics.