Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade » Horrible clunking noise from gearbox

Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 9:15 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
AeroSS_87 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AeroSS_87
Horrible clunking noise from gearbox

Hey all, the thread title I just had to type has me in a real wreck right now. Basically, I noticed about 3 days ago I was having a clunk come when I was starting out in first gear, about half way through the clutch being released, and sometimes there would be a second one just after the clutch was out and I start accelerating. That had me very worried, but I suddenly realized I hadn't checked my chain tension in a long time and chocked it up as that.

So today I cracked $80 on oil/filter and some good chain lube and went to work. Chain was considerably loose, but I had room for adjustment and both sprockets have good teeth. Adjusted everything and lubed the chain, only to realize that clunk is consistent when there isn't any friction on the drivetrain. I.E., sitting on my service stand idling in first gear.

I've attached a quick video here that should pretty much sum up everything going on. The vid is idling first gear, but I tried upshifting to get a better listen and couldn't get past third. It was just insanity coming out that little engine.

And to think, not long ago I was doing 155 out on the backstretch to my house. Yikes...

March 17, 2012 7:30 PM - YouTube
AeroSS_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-17-2012, 9:34 PM   #2
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 210
bladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Horrible clunking noise from gearbox

Originally Posted by AeroSS_87 View Post
Hey all, the thread title I just had to type has me in a real wreck right now. Basically, I noticed about 3 days ago I was having a clunk come when I was starting out in first gear, about half way through the clutch being released, and sometimes there would be a second one just after the clutch was out and I start accelerating. That had me very worried, but I suddenly realized I hadn't checked my chain tension in a long time and chocked it up as that.

So today I cracked $80 on oil/filter and some good chain lube and went to work. Chain was considerably loose, but I had room for adjustment and both sprockets have good teeth. Adjusted everything and lubed the chain, only to realize that clunk is consistent when there isn't any friction on the drivetrain. I.E., sitting on my service stand idling in first gear.

I've attached a quick video here that should pretty much sum up everything going on. The vid is idling first gear, but I tried upshifting to get a better listen and couldn't get past third. It was just insanity coming out that little engine.

And to think, not long ago I was doing 155 out on the backstretch to my house. Yikes...

March 17, 2012 7:30 PM - YouTube

It's always going to be noisy when the wheel is unloaded, but that doesn't sound quite right to me. I really can't tell you what it is but I would probably pull the clutch cover and clutch to see if anything is broken in the clutch.
What do you mean you couldn't get past third?
Old 03-17-2012, 9:36 PM   #3

I mean it was such a horrible clunk/shake like something was binding up. I plan to check the clutch, but it's working great. I'd be reeeeally happy if that's all it was.
Old 03-18-2012, 7:46 AM   #4

Reputation Power: 5
jupiter is a jewel in the roughjupiter is a jewel in the roughjupiter is a jewel in the rough

That was the same sound a friends bike had. Come to find out he had a broking dog and two of the gear had a broking tooth on them
jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 7:48 AM   #5

Reputation Power: 5
jupiter is a jewel in the roughjupiter is a jewel in the roughjupiter is a jewel in the rough

If your going to pull the cover off i would also pull the oil pan and see if there's anything in there as well..
jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 6:11 PM   #6

Reputation Power: 3
Scrach is on a distinguished road

My 96 cbr 900 rr made that same noise ,turned out to be a couple of bad links in my chain....... pull your chain off, & look for a stiff link & or a missing inner sleeve in your chain , you also might find that your sprockets may have a slight curve at the end of the teeth ,& that isn't good either ..... if its bad .....DO NOT JUST PUT A NEW CHAIN ON IT .... get yourself a new chain & sprocket set ......
Scrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 6:20 PM   #7

a quick visual ...... let the rear tire free spin in nutural ....... spin the tire by hand & check to see if the chain alternates from loose to tight
Old 03-18-2012, 6:25 PM   #8

looks like you might also be running your chain too tight ,you need a little slack on it ..... about 2.5 - 3 inches of play , up and down on the lower part of your chain
Old 03-18-2012, 6:34 PM   #9
Global Moderator

bladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scrach View Post
looks like you might also be running your chain too tight ,you need a little slack on it ..... about 2.5 - 3 inches of play , up and down on the lower part of your chain

You only want half that actually - 20-30mm slack.
Always adjust the chain to have the slack at its tightest point.
Old 03-18-2012, 6:41 PM   #10

Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Thanks for the input, guys. And yes I just adjusted/lubed the chain 5 minutes before this video. My Clymer manual said 1 to 1 3/8" travel adjusted at its tightest.

I can't tell you how hopeful I am it's just that front sprocket (where the noise is coming from) but it sounds internal. I'll inspect further. The bonus is I'd have reason to finally order my 15/43 520 chain kit. Oh darn.. lol
Old 03-18-2012, 6:45 PM   #11

Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
ok ....to be corected about 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" & thats 30- 40 mm looking at the manual
Old 03-18-2012, 6:47 PM   #12

mine was the front sprocket & a few bad links in the chain .... sounded just like that
Old 03-18-2012, 6:56 PM   #13
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by Scrach View Post
ok ....to be corected about 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" & thats 30- 40 mm looking at the manual

Yep, I should've checked the manual myself :-)
Old 03-18-2012, 7:12 PM   #14

you can confirm this by pulling the chain off & running it in first gear ....see if the nois goes away
Old 03-18-2012, 8:49 PM   #15

UPDATE:

I took off the front sprocket and ran it through first. The noise was very quietly audible. Given I just took alot of rotating mass off the driveline, I idled it in 5th and shot a new video. It's pretty loud. A local bike tech of Godly levels here said from what he could tell just from my vid, it sounds somewhat normal. He said he's ran them on stands before and gotten some noise. Also, went on to explain if it was a chipped gear tooth or just about anything wrong in the internal crankcase, I'd definitely feel/hear it on the streets and most likely in one single gear, rather than all. As I said before, I was doing some crazy speeds just before I first noticed the clunk when starting out from a stop. I didn't feel or hear anything out of place outside of that... which once again, I highly assumed was my loose chain.

Here's the vid I just took, along with pics of my front sprocket, just for good measure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Search tags for this page
2006 cbr1000rr transmission binding
chain clunking motorcycle

clunk sound when start motorcycle

glunk when sfiting in first gear900 rr

honda motorcycle clunks when shifting

motorcycle clunking when accelerating

motorcycle clunkinhg when releasing in 1st
motorcycle gearbox noisy when in gear

riding motorcycle clanking noise from sprocket and chain.

when istart out from a stop in my f150 i hear a clunk in the rear end
why i hear clunk on my motorcycle motor

why is there a popping sound coming from my chain areaon my zx636

Click on a term to search for related topics.