Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade » 954 track bike wiring harness w/ race fairing

Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 4:15 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 6
mgolden is on a distinguished road
954 track bike wiring harness w/ race fairing

This is mostly aimed at bladeracer since I'm sure he's dealt with it, but I welcome anyone else's opinions too.

I put together a track 954 out of mostly spare parts - it runs great! One minor problem I'm fighting with is the wiring harness going from the main harness, into those big plugs, and then to the gauges. They originally ran inside the fairing on the right, around the forks, and to the gauges. I have race fiberglass fairings on it now so that routing is not an easy task - plus it'd make it harder to yank off the bodywork if the harness was attached to it.

How does everybody usually run those? I currently have them zip-tied so they run next to the frame, inside the forks, and up to the gauges. The problem is (aside from them being ugly) that when you turn the forks full lock to the right they hit the wiring. Do most people usually find some way to attach them to the race plastics and run them in the stock configuration? I guess I could fiberglass a tab to zip-tie to on the inside. Or is there a better option I'm not seeing?

I can take some pictures when I get home if this isn't clear.

Thanks!
mgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-11-2012, 1:28 PM   #2
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 218
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 954 track bike wiring harness w/ race fairing

Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
This is mostly aimed at bladeracer since I'm sure he's dealt with it, but I welcome anyone else's opinions too.

I put together a track 954 out of mostly spare parts - it runs great! One minor problem I'm fighting with is the wiring harness going from the main harness, into those big plugs, and then to the gauges. They originally ran inside the fairing on the right, around the forks, and to the gauges. I have race fiberglass fairings on it now so that routing is not an easy task - plus it'd make it harder to yank off the bodywork if the harness was attached to it.

How does everybody usually run those? I currently have them zip-tied so they run next to the frame, inside the forks, and up to the gauges. The problem is (aside from them being ugly) that when you turn the forks full lock to the right they hit the wiring. Do most people usually find some way to attach them to the race plastics and run them in the stock configuration? I guess I could fiberglass a tab to zip-tie to on the inside. Or is there a better option I'm not seeing?

I can take some pictures when I get home if this isn't clear.

Thanks!

On my road and race bikes I cut a big "C" shape out of aluminium or nylon plate 5mm thick and 20-30mm wide as required to support its length and the amount of wiring.
I run it from the frame wherever I bring the wiring through, around the fork and attach it to the bottom of the front subframe. Then cable-tie all the wiring to it so nothing at all drags against the steering.
I just went through my pictures and can't find anything decent that really shows how I do it but it's fairly simple to understand I think.

The best pics I have handy might help though. On the ZX6R the wiring goes around the left side and I don't bother running the intakes so there's plenty of room.
Attached Thumbnails
ZX6R_cockpit.jpg‎   October 4th 2007 006.jpg‎   ZX6RG2Bulldog.jpg‎  
Old 05-11-2012, 1:34 PM   #3

Brilliant! That makes perfect sense, thanks! How do you have the "C" attached to the frame and subframe sides? Just zip-tied in place, or it is bolted?

Thanks for the tip, that's exactly what I was looking for!
Old 05-11-2012, 1:51 PM   #4
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 218
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
Brilliant! That makes perfect sense, thanks! How do you have the "C" attached to the frame and subframe sides? Just zip-tied in place, or it is bolted?

Thanks for the tip, that's exactly what I was looking for!

No fixed rule, just depends on the bike and what material I have on hand at the time :-)
I prefer to use Nylon to make the front subframe purely from a safety point of view in the hope it'll do less damage if somebody ever gets hit by my bike, but I don't always have it on hand. The weight is only marginally less than aluminium and it's not great for tapping threads into, self-tappers work well though.
Because I don't run the intakes on the ZX6R, the holes through the frame are very handy for running things through and they have a handy bolt hole so I just cable-tied it in place. The front subframe is a somewhat modified OEM one but I think I've got the harness support bolted to it.
The 929 has a nylon subframe with the harness support bolted to it. I think the rear is attached to the upper radiator mount but I'd have to check that. I never bothered running the duct covers.
My '98 GSXR750 I made an aluminium subframe but I do have the ducts on that so I can't see how I've supported the harness sorry.
If I come across a better pic I'll add it here.
Old 05-11-2012, 1:55 PM   #5

Perfect, I'm sure I can dig something out of the bowels of my garage to make that work. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Search tags for this page

929 race harness

cbr 954 race fairings

cbr 954 race harness
cbr 954 racing bike wiring

cbr954 trackbike

find fast honda 954rr on race track

honda 954 race fairing

honda f3 racing wiring harness

how to make racing wiring harness

race 954 w
track bike wiring
trackbike bodywork
Click on a term to search for related topics.