1986 VF500F 2 stroke build - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda Interceptor / VFR Discussion of the Honda Interceptor and Honda VFR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-28-2015, 5:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

1986 VF500F 2 stroke build

Recently, I bought a 86 VF500 roller with a title. I owned one of these back in the day, and always thought it would be a great idea to own one again. 20 years later, I am living my dream I do have plans for this build, but first things first, I need to get a 1978 YZ400 thumper nestled in the frame and get it running. I'll ride it like that for awhile, and after that I will look into upgrading most everything. Probably a complete front USD fork conversion, upgraded rear shock swap, some frame stiffening, brake upgrade and new tires. As far as bodywork goes, no need to change anything there. I have always thought the bodywork was amazing on these bikes. I'll see how the stock rear sets will feel with clip-ons. If it is not right, I will look into moving the stock ones or adding something different. As far as the engine goes, when the time is right, it will get a fair amount of attention. A small overbore, piston and rings, rebuild crank, new seals, reed valve, 38mm flat slide carb, skimmed head and an exhaust system. With these mods, I feel that I should be pushing around 55-60 hp. And I'm really hoping that the DT400 electrical system is a direct bolt on affair If not, I'll have to figure that part out later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-28-2015, 9:08 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Re: 1986 VF500F 2 stroke build

Pics would make this more exciting.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-28-2015, 1:04 PM Thread Starter

Here are some pictures. I know it's not much to look at right now, but I promise you, if you stick with the build, you will not be let down. A suggestion was given to me to add some rubber engine mounts, much like the Harleys have to take away some of the vibration from the engine. I really like this idea, and will look into those when the time comes. Engine is arriving to me next Friday. In the meantime, I am still looking for a cheap donor bike. If anybody has one sitting around, let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-31-2015, 1:29 AM Thread Starter

I have been searching endlessly for random parts I need to at least get this bike running and stopping. I have found most parts needed to do at least that and keep the vintage look of the VF500F. Parts are going to start arriving by the end of this week. I'll post some pictures of the 'new' parts when I can
post #5 of 8 Old 04-03-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, just a quick update on my little project here. Engine came in yesterday and I quickly mocked it up this morning to see how it fits. I'm surprised how much room it takes up in that space.

It's not exactly where it needs to be yet, it's just for my satisfaction that I see it in there Other parts have been arriving and will quickly make their way on the bike for a total mock up. I found a lighting coil that I will buy this weekend, and am looking for a R/R to convert it to a 12V system. All in all, I am happy with how everything is working out.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-03-2015, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Looking forward to seeing the end result, and the whole build process.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-25-2015, 2:27 AM Thread Starter

I have been busy with spring time obligations, but have found a little time to tinker with the project.
Just a few things happening:
I have a friend who has access to a machine shop making me a top clamp. I wanted to use clip-ons, but don't think the geometry is correct for that unless I push the foot pegs back some. So I will have pro taper bars instead.
I also have a complete front brake assembly coming to me in working order. I don't want to use the anti dive mechanism, so I will simply remove that side from the circuit so I will only have a single front disc. I like the idea because it allows me to shed some weight. I will also drill holes in the rotors (front/back) to aid in braking and also to shed some weight.
I located a battery tray for a good price and have installed that.
A free Ninja 250 tank is now in my possession. While it doesn't really fit, I like the shape and will try to 'make' my own tank by cutting this one up and shaping some new pieces. I'll tack it in place, but will have a professional weld it up. (This should be interesting)
I need to figure out which rear sprocket to use. The only thing I know right now is that it needs to be .100 of an inch thinner to match the one on the YZ engine.

Adding a clutch perch so I can use a stock clutch cable should not be a problem, but I need the front brake handle assembly so I can figure out how to retrofit a stock throttle cable to the YZ's carb. I may have to have one made if it doesn't work together.

I also have a stock YZ400 kick starter coming my way. I think it'll have to be heated and bent a little to make it miss the foot peg, but only by an inch or so.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2016, 11:46 PM

I thought about this as i have honda vt 250 rolling frame

Engine is knacked how do you line up the engine sprocket to the chain line

and the rear sprocket is there a postion it needs to go .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Interceptor / VFR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Search tags for this page

vf500 build thread

vf500 over bore

vf500 race pipe

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page