Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles

Honda Interceptor / VFR Discussion of the Honda Interceptor and Honda VFR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 2:49 AM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
trikeguy is on a distinguished road
reverse trike

Hey what up guys I'm building a project and I thought I would post here. I don't really know where to post and you'll see why in a minute. Sorry if this is the wrong place. Anyway, I'm building a reverse trike. Not like the can-ams like a t-rex. I'm building it with an 85 vf700. I 'm going to put a turbo on it. Is there any thng I need to do to the engine for turbo? How much boost can it handle? Any advice is appreciated. Let me know what you think. I know the stock compression ratio is 10.5:1ish. Someone told me this is to high to run with a turbo is this true? If so what would be a good compression ratio be and how thick would I need to make the new head gasket. People have been telling me that this is not enough motor for this build but I build bugs and buggies with vw motors that push like 50hp and this wll be lighter than a buggy. I have the floor made already and I'm just looking for a front end to use(probably a vw super). Let me know what you think thanks. Pics to come soon.
trikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-02-2010, 4:33 AM   #2
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 210
bladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: reverse trike

Originally Posted by trikeguy View Post
Hey what up guys I'm building a project and I thought I would post here. I don't really know where to post and you'll see why in a minute. Sorry if this is the wrong place. Anyway, I'm building a reverse trike. Not like the can-ams like a t-rex. I'm building it with an 85 vf700. I 'm going to put a turbo on it. Is there any thng I need to do to the engine for turbo? How much boost can it handle? Any advice is appreciated. Let me know what you think. I know the stock compression ratio is 10.5:1ish. Someone told me this is to high to run with a turbo is this true? If so what would be a good compression ratio be and how thick would I need to make the new head gasket. People have been telling me that this is not enough motor for this build but I build bugs and buggies with vw motors that push like 50hp and this wll be lighter than a buggy. I have the floor made already and I'm just looking for a front end to use(probably a vw super). Let me know what you think thanks. Pics to come soon.

As long as the engine is in good condition it'll work fine with a turbo.
These engines are known for poor cams so I'd definately consider fitting aftermarket cams - and you can probably get some that are specifically designed to compliment the turbo.
The 700cc versions are US only so I don't know if the capacity decrease is via smaller pistons or stroke.
Stock compression is fine with a turbo. I wouldn't suggest pushing the engine any higher than perhaps 140hp unless you totally rebuild it first though.
I wouldn't say it's not enough engine but I would say it's not a good choice of engine because of it's size and weight alone. It's low power would be another consideration. They're also not known for good crank lubrication which might be worse in a car due to the oil being pushed from side to side when cornering. You can get significantly smaller inline engines that will put out the sort of power I'd expect is possible from a turbo VF700 but without the complications of having to run a turbo. Trying to get a single turbo to draw gas from all four headers and then feed into the V is going to make the engine even larger and taller and potentially run hotter - not to mention the pain of trying to build the exhaust and intake manifolds. Of course, you could try it just drawing off the front two headers.
I can't imagine how you'll make it lighter than a buggy but I don't know exactly what your definition of buggy is. The bare engine is over 80kg without headers, radiator, carbs, fluids, etc.
Is it for road or dirt use?
Are you going to run a differential?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #3

Hey I appreciate the info. You think it wil run hot even f it's out in the air with the liquid cooling system? I don't really know to much about these engines. Building the manifolds and stuff is no problem I am a fabricator. I really want to run the turbo on this motor just so it can be different. I don't want it to run the same as everyone else has. A buggy with a volkswagon tranny weighs aat least 1200 lbs(544kg). I will be using 1" dom tubing. On a buggy I sometime run 1.5" dom and sometimes 1". The front end will be a strut setup off of a super beetle so that will save weight also. I won't be using sheet metal for the body just fiberglass so that will save weight also. I'm not sure if I want to run it on the street or in the dirt. I've beeen thinking about it and I really don't know. Maybe the street. I don't want i to be incredibly fast just something I can take out and cruise around and be unique. Let me know thanks. I would like to have the saqme rim with a street tire and one in the dirt so I can switch them if thats possible.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #4

o and yes a differential and driveshaft. That probably wouldn't be good for the dirt right.
Old 07-02-2010, 1:10 PM   #5
Global Moderator

bladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond reputebladeracer has a reputation beyond repute

Hey I appreciate the info. You think it wil run hot even f it's out in the air with the liquid cooling system? I don't really know to much about these engines. Building the manifolds and stuff is no problem I am a fabricator. I really want to run the turbo on this motor just so it can be different. I don't want it to run the same as everyone else has. A buggy with a volkswagon tranny weighs at least 1200 lbs(544kg). I will be using 1" dom tubing. On a buggy I sometime run 1.5" dom and sometimes 1". The front end will be a strut setup off of a super beetle so that will save weight also. I won't be using sheet metal for the body just fiberglass so that will save weight also. I'm not sure if I want to run it on the street or in the dirt. I've beeen thinking about it and I really don't know. Maybe the street. I don't want i to be incredibly fast just something I can take out and cruise around and be unique. Let me know thanks. I would like to have the same rim with a street tire and one in the dirt so I can switch them if thats possible.
It's already water-cooled but the turbo is sure to increase operating temp.
That seems incredibly heavy for a buggy. Do you have pictures of these things? My five-seater Suzuki Swifts only weigh 795kg and put out 70hp. According to Wiki the Beetle only weighed 840kg complete with four seats, glass and complete body panels and trim.
I'm all for being different :-)
As I said, my biggest concern with the engine choice is high CoG, but if the buggy is that big I doubt room will be a problem. Consider that the early CBR600 engine is 10kg lighter, significantly smaller, puts out similar power and I would think is a stronger base for a turbo build.
I'd look at the VFR800 5.5" wheels as a good option. They're lightweight (compared to car wheels) but you might struggle to find car tyres to fit - something like 215-17 should work. Their design load rating may be a problem for licencing also but they're not a lightweight bike so they should be fine.

Last edited by bladeracer; 07-02-2010 at 1:26 PM.
bladeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 1:20 PM   #6
Global Moderator

o and yes a differential and driveshaft. That probably wouldn't be good for the dirt right.
Do you mean a propshaft from the transmission to drive the diff or the driveshafts from diff to wheels? If you want to run a propshaft instead of chain-drive I'd suggest starting with a shaft-drive engine. The Kawasaki GT750 is one option off the top of my head.
Considering the weight you have the diff would probably be an advantage in dirt. I've spent time in single-seater buggies like Honda Odyssey's as well as homebuilt ones using Mini engines. The fun of the Odyssey is its solid axle and light weight (270kg dry) but I would think even on dirt trying to steer a solid-axle 650kg+ car would be difficult at best?

Last edited by bladeracer; 07-02-2010 at 9:03 PM.
bladeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 2:30 PM   #7

I have the back tire from the sabre already so if anything I'll use that. The tranny on the bike is shaft drive I just don't have the final drive and driveshaft yet. Do you think it will still run hot if I wrapthe headers and use a larger radiator with dual fans. What do you mean CoG(sorry). I really want to use this engine because I already have it and I am on a budget. Anythng else I can do to lower operating temps? I'm just curious of anyway I can make this combo work. I will definetely look into new cams anything else that would be necessary? Maybe the buggies aren't that heavy(my bad) I thought they were around there. I don't have any pics as my computer has recently had some problems. If you really don't think it wil work let me know but I really want to use this platform to keep costs down. Thanks. I will be running only one tire in the back. 2 in the front.
Old 07-02-2010, 5:15 PM   #8

oh CoG you mean center of gravity nuh. I was looking at this site about the dimensions a 3 wheel vehicle needs to be stable.
Old 07-02-2010, 8:59 PM   #9
Global Moderator

I have the back tire from the sabre already so if anything I'll use that. The tranny on the bike is shaft drive I just don't have the final drive and driveshaft yet. Do you think it will still run hot if I wrapthe headers and use a larger radiator with dual fans. What do you mean CoG(sorry). I really want to use this engine because I already have it and I am on a budget. Anythng else I can do to lower operating temps? I'm just curious of anyway I can make this combo work. I will definetely look into new cams anything else that would be necessary? Maybe the buggies aren't that heavy(my bad) I thought they were around there. I don't have any pics as my computer has recently had some problems. If you really don't think it wil work let me know but I really want to use this platform to keep costs down. Thanks. I will be running only one tire in the back. 2 in the front.

I forgot you said you were building a trike this time :-)
Where do you intend to mount the turbine?
Wrapping the headers works well to reduce the heat in the oil and you can get a blanket for the turbo as well.
There are several things you can do to reduce the operating temperature but they tend to add weight which works against the reasoning behind using a bike engine to begin with.
I would just build it first and then turbo it later if you still feel the need to.
Are you intending to blow through the stock carbs or replace them with a single carb of some kind?
CoG meaning centre of gravity and the need to keep it low to the ground for stability and traction. Being a trike though, is this something you plan to ride like a bike or sit in like a car?
As I said earlier, I personally think it's a poor choice for a turbo build even starting with a brand new engine. You can turbo anything of course, and enjoy it for what it is - but I personally wouldn't invest my time and energy into this engine design. Being shaft drive and shrunk down to 700cc do you know what the bike was putting to the tyre when it was new? I think the VF750 with chain drive was barely making 75hp or so - was the Sabre tuned down from that? How much mileage is on it now? They don't have a strong bottom end and a valve train that is known for failing even with their low power ouput. Doubling the load you expect it to push as well as trying to push more power out of it is just asking for it to experience a catastrophic death I think.
To turbo it I would think you'd want to start with not simply rebuilding the engine to as new spec but strengthening it significantly - particularly the crank, cams and lubrication system.
I was thinking of the wheels as suitable for a buggy rather than a trike as they're single-sided (like car wheels) but you could consider them for the front wheels I guess.
Old 07-02-2010, 9:39 PM   #10

ok i think if anyhting I'm just gonna build it with this motor and build a good solid motor to turbo. That way I can build me a good strong motor that I can turbo to 20 lbs. if I want to. I will mount the turbine anywhere really when I get the frame put to gether I'll probably see where I can get it. Do you know where I could find good cheap used engines. What sort would you recommend. I think you said over 1000cc right? I will probably keep the shaft drive I heard they were stronger than the chain. Can you use the stock carbs I haven't been able to find any parts for this engine I couldn't even find cams. You will be sitting in it like a car. I will probably just use some vw front tires they are good enough and wil fit with the front end. It was about the 70-80 hp. If I were to try and strengthen this engine I would probably spend enough for a new engine with the crank and everything right? Thanks for all the advice I didn't realize this engine had so many problems. What about the vf1100. Same problems? Let me know. Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it. I have done a lot with cars and I really want to build this to be unique and I appreciate it.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
Global Moderator

ok i think if anyhting I'm just gonna build it with this motor and build a good solid motor to turbo. That way I can build me a good strong motor that I can turbo to 20 lbs. if I want to. I will mount the turbine anywhere really when I get the frame put together I'll probably see where I can get it. Do you know where I could find good cheap used engines. What sort would you recommend. I think you said over 1000cc right? I will probably keep the shaft drive I heard they were stronger than the chain. Can you use the stock carbs I haven't been able to find any parts for this engine I couldn't even find cams. You will be sitting in it like a car. I will probably just use some vw front tires they are good enough and wil fit with the front end. It was about the 70-80 hp. If I were to try and strengthen this engine I would probably spend enough for a new engine with the crank and everything right? Thanks for all the advice I didn't realize this engine had so many problems. What about the vf1100. Same problems? Let me know. Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it. I have done a lot with cars and I really want to build this to be unique and I appreciate it.
If you want to run 20psi you will need to reduce compression considerably, which will make it fairly gutless when it's off boost. I'd prefer to run stock compression and lower boost, so the bike performs normally when off boost. If you've ever driven a turbo car with a dead turbo you'll know what I mean.
I'd suggest probably around 9.5:1 at most for that amount of boost and I'd do it with pistons rather than gaskets.
As for mounting the turbine, I would be trying to run it off all four headers which probably means mounting it alongside the engine (left side so you can still access the clutch easily) with the compressor feeding up into a plenum chamber above the V - you will need a plenum to contain that much boost.
I didn't say about engine capacity, but if the weight you mentioned is in the ballpark I'd suggest 1000cc minimum. No idea where you might find engines in your area but Ebay is always a good start. I'd strongly suggest the Blackbird engine if you can find one within your budget. Same weight as the VF700 engine but more than twice the power, and it's a solid base for performance work. Another good choice could be the early CBR1000F engine as that was in production longer than the Blackbird was. The ultimate choice for any car project would be the Hayabusa engine I would think, but for that very reason they're not cheap if you can even find one.
Something that may be of interest is the 929/954 engine. It already has the swingarm attached to the transmission so you don't need any of the bike's frame at all.
I would probably consider a chain drive to be stronger than shaft drive, especially on a boosted engine. Trying to put big power through two ninety-degree gearsets is asking for trouble. There's good reason why shaft drive bikes aren't generally known for big power.
You can use the stock carbs but as you would have noticed on the engine you have they're pretty cramped up which is going to make for a painful jetting exercise while you're setting it up. You may want to go with an injection system purely for the ease of tuning.
Rebuilding the engine yourself back to stock will probably cost you more than double what you would pay for the engine itself, building it for 20psi boost will probably double that again (a piston kit is probably around US$600 alone and good rods could go close to US$1000). All the VF-series were weak. A mate of mine had the VF1000R and had to rebuild it twice after engine failures just from normal road use (a stunningly gorgeous bike crippled by a crap engine design). I think they built the VF-series for maybe five years but the VFR-series went for twelve years without including the VFR800 that is still going another twelve years after that.
Since it doesn't sound like the trike is going to be small maybe just build it around a nice roomy engine bay and then you can swap any engine in as and when you find one.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #12

Ya for sure ok I got you I will definetly look into the 929/954 engines that would really simplify the amount of fab work in the back. I got you about the compression and low boost I won't need that much boost anyway. If I put a cbr1000 or something that has 150hp already won't take much to get me to 2-300 hp. I would like to build an engine made to run turbo form the ground up and maybe I'll just cruise it around with the vf700 for now while I build a serious motor. I would love to get a hayabusa motor. DOo you or know anyone that has an engine for sale I can't find much on ebay and stuff. Or do you know a good place I could get a motor from. Someone told me that the shaft engines were stronger that the chain strips gears off the sprocket under a lot of power. But thats better if I vould use a chain simpler, and I would imagine easier too. This is really the first project I've done with a bike engine and I really appreciate all your help. You obviously know exactly what your talking about. I might to go with fuel injection? I wanted to but wasn't sure if I could. Could I run a megasquirt kit on there? I will keep you posted for sure and I'll get some pics up here so you can see what I have so far.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #13
Global Moderator

Ya for sure ok I got you I will definetly look into the 929/954 engines that would really simplify the amount of fab work in the back. I got you about the compression and low boost I won't need that much boost anyway. If I put a cbr1000 or something that has 150hp already won't take much to get me to 2-300 hp. I would like to build an engine made to run turbo form the ground up and maybe I'll just cruise it around with the vf700 for now while I build a serious motor. I would love to get a hayabusa motor. DOo you or know anyone that has an engine for sale I can't find much on ebay and stuff. Or do you know a good place I could get a motor from. Someone told me that the shaft engines were stronger that the chain strips gears off the sprocket under a lot of power. But thats better if I vould use a chain simpler, and I would imagine easier too. This is really the first project I've done with a bike engine and I really appreciate all your help. You obviously know exactly what your talking about. I might to go with fuel injection? I wanted to but wasn't sure if I could. Could I run a megasquirt kit on there? I will keep you posted for sure and I'll get some pics up here so you can see what I have so far.

Another advantage of the 929/954 engine is they're already injected. I doubt the CBR1000F will give you 150hp (closer to 130hp I would think)but the Blackbird will. 300hp is a lot of power to put through an engine you want to cruise around town in though. Doubling the output is more like something for drag racing and very short engine life. I'm not sure how well you'll be able to get that sort of power to the ground if you're planning to sit ahead of the engine though. Doesn't sound like there's going to be much weight over the rear tyre?
I'm in Australia and I could probably find some engines but the cost of shipping to you would probably kill it. I bought a 954 engine out of the US last year though.
As for shaft drive, when was the last time you saw a drag bike running anything except chain drive :-)
I don't know anything about the Megasquirt but I would assume you could. Or simply put the injection system from another bike on it and tune it with a Power Commander.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #14

I meant more like 200 with a turbo and internals and stuff for sure. I really like the 954. The blackbird too. Thanks for all your help. Is there a way to mount a wider tire with these engines? Ya the only weight will be the engine close to the back. It doesn't really matter if it hooks or spins I doubt I'll even race it really probably just cruise it to work and stuff.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #15
Global Moderator

I meant more like 200 with a turbo and internals and stuff for sure. I really like the 954. The blackbird too. Thanks for all your help. Is there a way to mount a wider tire with these engines? Ya the only weight will be the engine close to the back. It doesn't really matter if it hooks or spins I doubt I'll even race it really probably just cruise it to work and stuff.

Since you won't be restricted to keeping the engine and wheel in alignment you can run whatever width wheel you want to, just offset the engine to the side as required. If you want to run the standard 929 or 954 swingarm then you're restricted to tyres around 200mm unless you space the sprockets. The stock rear wheel is 6x17". You might want to run a car tyre since it's never going to lean over but 17" tyres narrow enough to fit the 6" wheel are going to be tough to find.
What design rules do you need to comply with for this thing to be licenced for the road?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Interceptor / VFR

Tags
trike, vf700

Search tags for this page
honda reverse motorcycle trike plans
honda reverse trike
honda reverse trike motorcycles
how to build a reverse trike motorcycle

reverse trike

reverse trike honda

reverse trike motorcycle

reverse trike motorcycle for sale

reverse trike motorcycles

reverse trike plans

reverse trike plans motorcycle
reverse trikes
Click on a term to search for related topics.