Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles

Honda Interceptor / VFR Discussion of the Honda Interceptor and Honda VFR Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 7:46 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
2007VFR is on a distinguished road
2007 VTEC with knock

I bought a 2007 VFR with only 1900 miles. Bike is spotless. I test rode it and didn't hear the noise it's now making. It's got a knock that intermittant. It sounds like it's at camshaft speed, but this knock comes and goes. Sometimes the engine knocks like crazy and then then next minute it's quiet as a mouse. Sounds like a wristpin knock, it's not a heavy knock like a con rod. And the severity of this knock varies too. Bike is most apt to start doing it after you've ridden it a little and then you shut it off for a bit. Start it back up and boom it's knocking again. Then as you ride it seems to go away. Seems like the hotter the bike gets and the more you ride the less you hear it.
2 0r 3 times I've also heard backfiring through the airbox before it got warmed up.
I've checked the plugs and the cam chain tensioners, that's it. This VTEC engine scares me to death so I don't mess too much with it.
Does anyone have any suggestions about this?
This bike has sat a lot in it's life, obviously 1900 miles since 2007 is practically nothing.
2007VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 218
bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute bladeracer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 VTEC with knock

Originally Posted by 2007VFR View Post
I bought a 2007 VFR with only 1900 miles. Bike is spotless. I test rode it and didn't hear the noise it's now making. It's got a knock that intermittant. It sounds like it's at camshaft speed, but this knock comes and goes. Sometimes the engine knocks like crazy and then then next minute it's quiet as a mouse. Sounds like a wristpin knock, it's not a heavy knock like a con rod. And the severity of this knock varies too. Bike is most apt to start doing it after you've ridden it a little and then you shut it off for a bit. Start it back up and boom it's knocking again. Then as you ride it seems to go away. Seems like the hotter the bike gets and the more you ride the less you hear it.
2 0r 3 times I've also heard backfiring through the airbox before it got warmed up.
I've checked the plugs and the cam chain tensioners, that's it. This VTEC engine scares me to death so I don't mess too much with it.
Does anyone have any suggestions about this?
This bike has sat a lot in it's life, obviously 1900 miles since 2007 is practically nothing.

How long since the oil has been changed?
VTEC is a _very_ simple (and totally pointless) system so you don't need to be frightened of it.
It simply uses oil pressure to push pins into place to activate the other valves.
Old 06-09-2011, 3:19 AM   #3
Piz

Piz is on a distinguished road

I used to own a 1995 VFR750, which, at idle, made an intermittent knocking noise. I bought it in '96 with only 3600 k's on the dial. I owned it two years and never had any mechanical issues as a result of the occasional knocking. This was obviously well prior to Vtec. I currently own a 2006 VFR800 (Vtec) which I bought brand new, and I haven't heard any knocking, but, it does emit an occasional 'ticking' sound at idle. It does need a service though, so maybe fresh oil may be the required medicine
Personally, any weird noises made by VFR's are shrugged off as a VFR trait. After all, they're supposed to be 'legendary' in their reliability.
Piz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 5:11 AM   #4

2007VFR is on a distinguished road

Well, before I bought the bike, the previous owner took the bike to a dealer for a total inspection simply because it had sat so much during it's life. It passed with a clean bill of health.
2 days after I got it home we headed out on a nearly 1000 mile trip to some southern states, and half-way along on this trip is where I first heard it. It was very intermittent at that point. So when we got back home the FIRST thing I did was change the oil and filter. I used good Honda Pro GN4 per the manual, and a factory Honda filter. It made no difference. If anything, at this time the knock is much more consistent than it was, and at times very loud.....I am talking embarrassingly loud because I know others can hear it.
This isn't some VTEC normal noise, this is something wrong in the engine. I have done search after search after search on the web about this, and my problem just doesn't exist. The only thing I found is a claim that throttle bodies out of synch will cause a knock. This may be true, but the knock I hear sounds more severe and detrimental than some fueling issue could cause.
Love the bike though, I mean I absolutely adore this machine. I just don't want to have to spend a fortune to diagnose and fix this thing. I mean, I will obviously if I must, but on a 3100 mile machine should I really be having a problem like this?? I'd say not. This bike was hardly ridden during it's life, and it was garaged, covered, and the minimal service done by the previous owner (which amounts to the inspection I spoke of and 1 oil change) was always done by the local dealer, I called the dealer to verify this. It's a pristine bike and thus the reason I bought it. Like I said, since 2007 he only put 1900 miles on it.
2007VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 3:15 AM   #5

n13ldo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to n13ldo

Howdy,

My 2004 VFR has the same issue. Almost 28k miles on it, 21k by me (spring/summer/autumn commuting over 6 years).

I had it checked over by a VFR expert here in Scotland (at a cost of almost 800 GBP) and he could find no mechanical issues although he did hear the sound. His recommendation - 'just rag it' (translated: try to visit the red line whenever you can ;-) )

Interestingly in this saga:

- The noise first appeared 2 years ago. Noise would appear a few minutes after cold start and be annoyingly loud for about 10 minutes until running temperature and then disappear.
- Then towards the end of the year (around October) the noise cycle changed from not being there from a cold start then appearing when engine was at running temperature and remaining until engine went off. This prompted the expensive investigation.
- This year it's back to it's old ways, noisy at start then gone at running temperature.

It sounds like a loud slap at the front right top side of the engine (while sitting on the bike). This area was checked and nothing out of the ordinary was found.

The engine is really good, lots of power (the Powercommander PCV5 helps though). If performance was poor or engine rattley then I would have changed it.

Hope this helps...
n13ldo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Interceptor / VFR

Search tags for this page
2004 vfr 8oo engine noise after warm up
2007 engine knock vfr
2007 honda vfr 800 performance upgrades
engine knock on vfr800
honda intercepter nocking
honda intercepter nocking ticking noise
honda vfr800 vtec oil filter fault
knocking noise in vfr800

vfr 800 valve tapping

vfr noise from engine front right
vfr800 tapping in the head sound

vfr800 vtec knocking when pull away

Click on a term to search for related topics.