Bought '07 CRF 150 for grandson...advice please. - Page 2 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda Off-Road Discussion of Honda Off-Road Vehicles, including Honda Dirt Bikes, Honda ATVs, Honda 4-Wheelers, and Honda Watercraft.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 03-21-2013, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

UPDATE!!!

BlindChaos scored. I pulled the air cleaner foam all the way off and she started. It idles, but very rough. Started out smoking along exhaust pipe, I'm thinking just years of whatever on there. That cleared up. Some smoking on exhaust with some gray/tan smoke drifting out of tailpipe when I stopped it. Started again, no more smoking out of exhaust, but idle is rough...sorta idles high, then higher, then lower...then higher...surging. Should I take the carb apart again and really soak it all? I did see air holes in all the side pin holes of both jets. HOWEVER: I did loose this little white hat/lampshade looking piece of plastic that sits over the bigger jet...? I've looked all over, I've no idea. I did just order that piece from Honda dealer; I'm thinking it's in there for a reason...but she is running. Thoughts? Resoak? Change jets completely? --Bryant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 03-21-2013, 3:04 PM
Greenie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 181

Re: Bought '07 CRF 150 for grandson...advice please.

It's the starter jet that's probably giving you the trouble. I would buy a jet kit and start trying bigger size's. These carbs come from the factory too lean.
post #18 of 26 Old 03-21-2013, 11:01 PM

Check your pilot jet again the issue could be that or a air leak make sure both boots are on the carb all the way and the clamps are tight also that " D shaped tool" you mentioned earlier is to adjust your air fuel mixture use that tool and turn the air fuel screw all the way in. ( to the right) then 2 turns out(to the left) see if it runs better, but if you have to go more than 2 turns to get it to run right then you need to go up in pilot jet size. i think stock is 42? in that bike maybe go to a 45? id check those numbers before ordering anything lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 26 Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 PM

* My mistake* i mis read thought you had that tool . i would try to borrow or buy one . It can be better adjusted now that it runs. But before you do that start the bike and get a can of brake or carb cleaner and spray a little on or near the boots of the carb if it surges when you do that you have an airleak near where ever your spraying it just a simple way to test it .
post #20 of 26 Old 04-27-2013, 9:30 PM
Greenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindChaos View Post
Check your pilot jet again the issue could be that or a air leak make sure both boots are on the carb all the way and the clamps are tight also that " D shaped tool" you mentioned earlier is to adjust your air fuel mixture use that tool and turn the air fuel screw all the way in. ( to the right) then 2 turns out(to the left) see if it runs better, but if you have to go more than 2 turns to get it to run right then you need to go up in pilot jet size. i think stock is 42? in that bike maybe go to a 45? id check those numbers before ordering anything lol
You nailed it! I had the exact same problems as ArmyAviator, except with my 450. Just as stated above, my factory pilot jet was 42. Changed it for a 45 - air/fuel adjustment 2-1/2 turns out, (as per my manual), idle adjustment as needed - AND Presto Welha!
It cranked for about four revolutions, fired- caught- ran- and quickly I didn't need choke anymore. About 15 seconds of choke at 80F degrees. It ran smootha as butter once I got the idle dialed right. Aprox 1700 rpm for my bike. Rode it around my neighborhood for a bit, and I can feel it - It's Back!
The bigger pilot jet makes all the difference on start-up. No more struggle.

The pilot jet only cost about $5.00 or so at a shop. No need to get the full main-jet kits. Although you may still want that - but start with a simple pilot jet size increase.
post #21 of 26 Old 04-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
You nailed it! I had the exact same problems as ArmyAviator, except with my 450. Just as stated above, my factory pilot jet was 42. Changed it for a 45 - air/fuel adjustment 2-1/2 turns out, (as per my manual), idle adjustment as needed - AND Presto Welha!
It cranked for about four revolutions, fired- caught- ran- and quickly I didn't need choke anymore. About 15 seconds of choke at 80F degrees. It ran smootha as butter once I got the idle dialed right. Aprox 1700 rpm for my bike. Rode it around my neighborhood for a bit, and I can feel it - It's Back!
The bigger pilot jet makes all the difference on start-up. No more struggle.

The pilot jet only cost about $5.00 or so at a shop. No need to get the full main-jet kits. Although you may still want that - but start with a simple pilot jet size increase.

Are you sure the difference is because the jet is bigger and not simply because it's a new one? Maybe a new 42 would work also? Was the mixture screw already at 2.5 turns with the old jet?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #22 of 26 Old 04-28-2013, 12:06 AM

Reputation Power: 33

I found that a little funny also. Lol cause when these bikes are new they'll fire right up and after time gets worse and worse. I got some tip cleaners for a torch and they clean and resize jets if necessary for fine tuneing.
I rebuild lots of carbs from hard starting bikes. And Lil time and shell kick first time I like to strip some wire and run few strands of wire and besure all residue is gone.
Usually if jetting is lean stock its on idle not under throttle. unless you put muffler or changed filter then will be lean everywhere. But their are some bike that come detuned 2000+ yr model dirtbikes. Lol gutless compared to what they used to run like Mannn....
post #23 of 26 Old 04-28-2013, 3:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Re: UPDATE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyAviator View Post
BlindChaos scored. I pulled the air cleaner foam all the way off and she started
OK. Great. Now don't forget to clean or replace the foam and to re-install it. Otherwise you'll be running lean.
post #24 of 26 Old 04-28-2013, 8:35 AM Thread Starter

I'm late in responsibly posting an update; this modern Army.

Stock slow jet was a 400; many posts herein advised me to go to the 420; I did. I ordered it all from another recommended source in here...Part (the second part of that name is a derivation of King Kong's foe 'Zilla). I also bought the gasket set and replaced them all; the airfilter was literally "melting"...just rotted to a near ooze. Bought a new one of those two, same source.

So, I re-gasket, put the 420 slow jet in, new air filter.....lift choke, she turns over maybe twice and starts. Sounds very rich. I finished crafting a set of pliers to be able to grab the air/fuel mixture..screw it all the way in, noticing that it was 2 1/2 turns in....so I just swag it at 1 1/2. Hit the starter...nearly perfect....adjust idle and it's done.

I can fly the hair off of multi-million $$$ Army helicopters, but this was a first for me. I can say that I really enjoyed this and marvel at how you guys can "smell these issues out." Thank you all for the substantial help...and patience. --Bryant
post #25 of 26 Old 04-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Greenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Are you sure the difference is because the jet is bigger and not simply because it's a new one? Maybe a new 42 would work also? Was the mixture screw already at 2.5 turns with the old jet?
Pretty sure Larry. An experienced buddy helped me clean the carb and jets the first time. We cleaned the jets with cutting torch bits and compressed air. Soaked the body, put it back together. Wouldn't start and run unless choke was out and fuel/air was 3-3/4 to 4 turns out. Then it barley stayed running unless you would keep rolling the throttle. So I took it back apart, replace the 42 with a 45, set the air/fuel at 2-1/2 turns, and it starts and idles very nice now.

The research I did on dirtbike forums suggested that the dirtbikes sold in CA are lean from the factory. First thing many do is increase that pilot jet.
post #26 of 26 Old 04-28-2013, 3:59 PM

Glad you got it sorted! Even when cleaned as much as you can sometimes the small/slow jets are still compromised in that just the tiniest bit of crud makes them run lean.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Off-Road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Search tags for this page
05 crf150f idle jet

2007 crf150r rebuild the engine and wont start

2007 honda 150 r cleaned carb now it leaks gas ?

crf 150 running probs
crf150f 2008 mixture screw
crf150f carb adjustment
crf150r will not idle

how to drain gas honda crf 70

what is the factory setting on honda crf 150 carbaretor
where to putcarburator cleaner honda crf 150
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page