If you know ANYTHING about the XL100s please click here! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda Off-Road Discussion of Honda Off-Road Vehicles, including Honda Dirt Bikes, Honda ATVs, Honda 4-Wheelers, and Honda Watercraft.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 2:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

If you know ANYTHING about the XL100s please click here!

Hey guys,
I created an account here because I needed some information on this bike and I have not been able to find much online. I'm trying to buy one of these for my father who used to have to one in the 80's. I can only find an 83' XL100 (no "s") and it has a humped tank. I was wondering if I would be able to convert it to a XL100s like he had before? The main thing I see differently are the tanks. I was wondering if I could buy the flatter tank that came on the "s" models and put it on this 83'. This is the bike I'm trying to buy http://images.craigslist.org/00p0p_d...rm_600x450.jpg any help/info would be GREATLY appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 1:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 116

Garage
Re: If you know ANYTHING about the XL100s please click here!

Shouldn't be too difficult. Anything's possible with a little ingenuity. Try to get the mounting method for both tanks and try to find the length from the front mounts to the rear, there may be a slight gap between the seat and the tank if the tank is shorter. I replaced a rusted/holed metal Yami tank with a plastic Suzuki one on an "82 with little effort. Looking at images of both bikes, it wouldn't surprise me if the frame was the same, in which case the tank will probably slide right on, it looks like the only obvious change was the tank and side covers.
Here's an image of the 100S tank, they don't list an XL100, compare it to the XL100. As I remember, the tank mounting method on most steel tanked enduros of that generation was pretty much the same, if it doesn't line up with the mounting hole in the rear that should be an easy fix, just fab a sheet metal tab.:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...m2978#sch11484
Don't get confused if you look up a 1983, the image is the same but the P/N is different, the image is probably just for illustration.

Besides, if it's a gift for your father to put around on I doubt he'll be to put off by the humped tank.

1982:

1983:

Yours:

Not exactly cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-HONDA-X...24c79e&vxp=mtr

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli

Last edited by fj1200rj; 11-14-2013 at 2:49 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 1:58 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

Thanks a lot rj! If anybody else can give me some info that would be awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 2:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 116

Garage

Not exactly cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-HONDA-X...24c79e&vxp=mtr

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #5 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 11:21 PM

Reputation Power: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresentforPapa View Post
Hey guys,
I created an account here because I needed some information on this bike and I have not been able to find much online. I'm trying to buy one of these for my father who used to have to one in the 80's. I can only find an 83' XL100 (no "s") and it has a humped tank. I was wondering if I would be able to convert it to a XL100s like he had before? The main thing I see differently are the tanks. I was wondering if I could buy the flatter tank that came on the "s" models and put it on this 83'. This is the bike I'm trying to buy http://images.craigslist.org/00p0p_d...rm_600x450.jpg any help/info would be GREATLY appreciated!
What a cool son.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Off-Road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Search tags for this page
1982 honda 100 xl

1982 honda xl 100

1982 honda xl100s
honda 100 xl

honda xl 100

honda xl 100 s
honda xl 100s
honda xl100s
honda xll 100
xl100
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page