Honda XL 600......? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda Off-Road Discussion of Honda Off-Road Vehicles, including Honda Dirt Bikes, Honda ATVs, Honda 4-Wheelers, and Honda Watercraft.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-18-2010, 4:18 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-18-2010
Location: QLD
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Honda XL 600......?

hi guys,
have just bought a 1983 Honda XL 600.
bike runs really well and has alot of get up and go. only thing is it blows a bit of smoke on start up, but not as much when it warms up unless you flog it.
the muffler has leaks and the spindle the gear lever go's on has snapped and the motor probably needs new gaskets.
it it also needs a battery and lights and blinkers for rego.
wondering how much i am looking at for those sorts of things and where can i buy parts for a 83 xl 600?
starts first or second kick with no choke contrary to what i have read and is easy to kick over (i am 65kg).
thanks for any help
having a ball on it so far.
oh will also need the right tyres for rego too, it currently has a new front knobby and a worn back knobby.
really would like to know where to get parts in qld.
thanks heaps
A
XL 600 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 07-18-2010, 4:49 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 50
Posts: 32,217
Images: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227
                     
Re: Honda XL 600......?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL 600 View Post
hi guys,
have just bought a 1983 Honda XL 600.
bike runs really well and has alot of get up and go. only thing is it blows a bit of smoke on start up, but not as much when it warms up unless you flog it.
the muffler has leaks and the spindle the gear lever go's on has snapped and the motor probably needs new gaskets.
it it also needs a battery and lights and blinkers for rego.
wondering how much i am looking at for those sorts of things and where can i buy parts for a 83 xl 600?
starts first or second kick with no choke contrary to what i have read and is easy to kick over (i am 65kg).
thanks for any help
having a ball on it so far.
oh will also need the right tyres for rego too, it currently has a new front knobby and a worn back knobby.
really would like to know where to get parts in qld.
thanks heaps
A
I hope you bought it really cheap :-)
If it's really easy to kick perhaps it's low on compression?
If it starts easily when it's cold maybe it's too rich?
No idea where you would find parts in Queensland but I'd be looking online. It's only a week from the US.
Try these guys if you're chasing OEM parts.
OEM Parts Honda XL600R 1983 A CARBURETOR 83-85 - Cheap Cycle Parts

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 07-21-2010, 6:15 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-18-2010
Location: QLD
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Honda XL 600......?

yeah mate it was pretty cheap, $800 AU (just realised this is an american forum).
dont think it is low on compression as it has a heap of grunt, sideways in any gear on anything but bitumen but i did notice at the bottom of the kick start there is a cable that pulls on when you start to kick the kick start, would that be a decompression cable?
although on the XR 250 post he asks about a decompression lever and my bike has the same thing as that in the same place with wire seemingly holding it on?????
either way it kicks over easily and has plenty of power.
thanks for the link to parts too mate
cheers
XL 600 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 Old 07-21-2010, 6:21 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 50
Posts: 32,217
Images: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227
                     
Re: Honda XL 600......?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL 600 View Post
yeah mate it was pretty cheap, $800 AU (just realised this is an american forum).
dont think it is low on compression as it has a heap of grunt, sideways in any gear on anything but bitumen but i did notice at the bottom of the kick start there is a cable that pulls on when you start to kick the kick start, would that be a decompression cable?
although on the XR 250 post he asks about a decompression lever and my bike has the same thing as that in the same place with wire seemingly holding it on?????
either way it kicks over easily and has plenty of power.
thanks for the link to parts too mate
cheers

$800 sounds reasonable.
Yep, that's the decompression lever :-)
Very easy to throw rings or a bigger piston into those single-cylinder beasts.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 07-21-2010, 7:28 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-18-2010
Location: QLD
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Honda XL 600......?

thanks mate,
so pretty cheap to do up then?
are the parts i need cheapish?
or do i need genuine honda parts?
cheers
edit. will probably do rings and engine gaskets but it has more than enough power for me (im 65kg)
XL 600 is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 07-21-2010, 1:04 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 50
Posts: 32,217
Images: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227
                     
Re: Honda XL 600......?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL 600 View Post
thanks mate,
so pretty cheap to do up then?
are the parts i need cheapish?
or do i need genuine honda parts?
cheers
edit. will probably do rings and engine gaskets but it has more than enough power for me (im 65kg)
A mate of mine used to race Sound of Singles using XT/TT550/600 engines, very easy to rebuild.
No, you don't need OEM parts. You can probably buy aftermarket piston kits as well.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 07-22-2010, 4:59 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-18-2010
Location: QLD
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Honda XL 600......?

thanks mate,
rang around for prices today and got told by one place that it would be $1000 to replace the gear spindle, because it is a massive job to split the engine???
have since asked others and have been told that's way too much.
another person said just weld the lever onto the shaft/spindle???? i dont know....
seems a mate down the road knows his stuff with these old thumpers, he grew up rebuilding them and doing them up, so looks like labour will be cheap.
seems the lights, blinkers and switches to control those will cost the most, although i haven't recieved any actuall prices yet.
what can i use to patch a small (10mm) hole in my muffler?
i have some blue stuff i used for my hilux diff, will that handle the heat of a muffler though? doesn't say anything about temp on the tube.
thanks heaps hey mate
XL 600 is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 07-22-2010, 6:09 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 50
Posts: 32,217
Images: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227
                     
Re: Honda XL 600......?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL 600 View Post
thanks mate,
rang around for prices today and got told by one place that it would be $1000 to replace the gear spindle, because it is a massive job to split the engine???
have since asked others and have been told that's way too much.
another person said just weld the lever onto the shaft/spindle???? i dont know....
seems a mate down the road knows his stuff with these old thumpers, he grew up rebuilding them and doing them up, so looks like labour will be cheap.
seems the lights, blinkers and switches to control those will cost the most, although i haven't received any actual prices yet.
what can i use to patch a small (10mm) hole in my muffler?
i have some blue stuff i used for my hilux diff, will that handle the heat of a muffler though? doesn't say anything about temp on the tube.
thanks heaps hey mate
Sounds way over the top to me. It's not what I would call a massive job but it does require totally stripping the engine. You need to remove the head and cylinder to get the cases apart so you may as well replace everything if you have that far apart. If you have enough length to weld a lever to it I would certainly try that first until you're ready to rebuild the engine. At least that would allow you to ride it and see if there are any other problems you can address when you rebuild it later on. Be sure to wrap wet rags around it to limit the amount of heat getting to the seal and crankcases as you don't want an oil leak and you don't want to warp the cases. If you can braze it I'd do that over arc or MiG.
The electrics on these are really simple so as long as you're happy to re-wire them you can run whatever switches and lights you can find at the right prices.
For the muffler you can weld or braze a plate over the hole or try an epoxy. If the hole is due to rust though you'd be better off replacing the muffler.
I don't know the blue stuff you mentioned but a diff wouldn't get anywhere near as a hot as a muffler. Araldite might handle the heat though.

For parts you can try emailing a mate of mine but he's here in Perth.
Maddington Motorcycle Wreckers - Maddington 6109, Perth, Western Australia.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 07-23-2010, 5:52 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-18-2010
Location: QLD
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Honda XL 600......?

thanks so much for your help mate,
i bought a gear lever today and it go's on nice and tight, i think only the very end of the shaft/spindle must have snapped off.
tried some megapoxy on the muffler today and it was no good due to rust as you said. will take it to a muffler place i know and get them to cut the whole section out and replace it, or what is a new muffler worth roughly?
got a price on rear brakes ($37), headlight assembly ($100 ish), blinkers ($15) today and it seems i may have this thing on the road for about $1500-$2000.
having fun working on it and trying to tidy it up a bit.
wouldn't mind new gaurds all round either as these are faded and the back mud gaurd isn't the one i need for the tail light it's more a motorcross one i think.
cheers
XL 600 is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 07-23-2010, 6:18 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 50
Posts: 32,217
Images: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227
                     
Re: Honda XL 600......?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL 600 View Post
thanks so much for your help mate,
i bought a gear lever today and it go's on nice and tight, i think only the very end of the shaft/spindle must have snapped off.
tried some megapoxy on the muffler today and it was no good due to rust as you said. will take it to a muffler place i know and get them to cut the whole section out and replace it, or what is a new muffler worth roughly?
got a price on rear brakes ($37), headlight assembly ($100 ish), blinkers ($15) today and it seems i may have this thing on the road for about $1500-$2000.
having fun working on it and trying to tidy it up a bit.
wouldn't mind new gaurds all round either as these are faded and the back mud gaurd isn't the one i need for the tail light it's more a motorcross one i think.
cheers
Just check Ebay as you can probably make any muffler fit it.
Or you can try wrapping it with aluminium sheet and rivet it on.
Good stuff so far :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 07-24-2010, 3:42 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-18-2010
Location: QLD
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Honda XL 600......?

cheers,
did the muffler with some aluminium sheet i had and pop rivets and used that blue stuff to hold it in place.
will give it a test run tomorrow arvy.
looked on ebay for honda xl 600 parts and only a few things came up, might just browse through all the moto parts on there....
if this muffler works out ok all i will need for roadworthy is lights, blinkers and switches and a battery........ oh and tyres....
XL 600 is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 07-24-2010, 4:06 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 50
Posts: 32,217
Images: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227
                     
Re: Honda XL 600......?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL 600 View Post
cheers,
did the muffler with some aluminium sheet i had and pop rivets and used that blue stuff to hold it in place.
will give it a test run tomorrow arvy.
looked on ebay for honda xl 600 parts and only a few things came up, might just browse through all the moto parts on there....
if this muffler works out ok all i will need for roadworthy is lights, blinkers and switches and a battery........ oh and tyres....

What about XR parts?
And wouldn't the 250, 400, 500, 600, 650 parts be very similar between the XL and XR series?
I'd be looking for anything along those lines and even XT, KX or DR stuff would do the same job.
On my 929 for indicators I run the very thin side lights made for trailers by Narva but I don't know if they'd pass a roadworthy inspection.
Did you email my mate Mark? I know he's got a fair stack of road/trail bits there.
Try MCAS for tyres as they do great prices with really cheap shipping. Two sets of Pirelli SuperCorsa race tyres to me in Perth cost me A$708 including shipping.
http://www.mcas.com.au/index.php?sect=2
"All orders will be confirmed and freight amount advised before shipping or payment. If you order online via the website, postage is a standard $8.00 regardless of the item or quantity, unless you are overseas,"

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 07-25-2010, 6:07 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-18-2010
Location: QLD
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Honda XL 600......?

well the pop rivet job didn't go that well, there is still little leaks, lot better than it was but not perfect. seems a new muffler is in order.
or a cut out and replace, because the rest of the muffler is in good nick.got onto a motorbike wreckers in brisbane and he has a xl 600
he is looking over the weekend to see whats on it.
found these on ebay and was wondering if the would fit my xl,
4 X 18 Short Stalk LED Motorbike Turn Signals Indicator - eBay, Other Accessories, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 01-Aug-10 15:31:35 AEST)

or

4 Oval LED Turn Signal Indicator Lights for Motorcycle - eBay, Other Accessories, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 20-Aug-10 01:54:35 AEST)
also would it be roadworthy with them on it.
if i can use any lights and indicators that would make it easy.
can i use any switches too? i would imagine i can???
back brakes this week and indicators, depending on what old mate at the wreckers has..
going good still, cept for the smoke until she is warm
XL 600 is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 07-25-2010, 6:50 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 50
Posts: 32,217
Images: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227
                     
Re: Honda XL 600......?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL 600 View Post
well the pop rivet job didn't go that well, there is still little leaks, lot better than it was but not perfect. seems a new muffler is in order.
or a cut out and replace, because the rest of the muffler is in good nick.got onto a motorbike wreckers in brisbane and he has a xl 600
he is looking over the weekend to see whats on it.
found these on ebay and was wondering if the would fit my xl,
4 X 18 Short Stalk LED Motorbike Turn Signals Indicator - eBay, Other Accessories, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 01-Aug-10 15:31:35 AEST)

or

4 Oval LED Turn Signal Indicator Lights for Motorcycle - eBay, Other Accessories, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 20-Aug-10 01:54:35 AEST)
also would it be roadworthy with them on it.
if i can use any lights and indicators that would make it easy.
can i use any switches too? i would imagine i can???
back brakes this week and indicators, depending on what old mate at the wreckers has..
going good still, cept for the smoke until she is warm

Did you seal the aluminium skin with a high-temp sealant when you wrapped it?
Good find for parts :-)
Any indicators will work, they don't even need to be indicators specifically, just lights with amber lenses :-)
As to roadworthiness, you would have to check with your local regulations.
Our Traffic Code requires a pair of front and rear indicators, 300mm minimum apart, 350mm minimum above ground, must have a visual or audio warning that the indicator is flashing, must be operable in the normal riding position, flash at least 45 times per minute, must flash in unison with any other indicators on the same circuit, rear indicators must be yellow, front may be yellow or white and they must be visible at 30 meters.
Do a wet and dry compression test. If compression is strong then it's likely to be a valve guide seal which isn't too difficult to fix.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 07-27-2010 at 4:07 AM.
bladeracer is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 07-27-2010, 3:31 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-18-2010
Location: QLD
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Honda XL 600......?

thanks for all your help mate, i really appreciate it.
will post a pic of the bike soon.
i did seal the muffler with that blue stuff i had, but when i took her for a run i could smell it, it wasn't burning but i could smell it.
am taking the muffler off tomorrow and taking it to that shop.
will get that compression test done asap too.
thanks again
XL 600 is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Off-Road

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Search tags for this page
1983 honda xl 600r what color
,

1983 honda xl600r carburetor

,
1983 xl600r choke lever
,

forum moto honda 600xls

,
honda of road 600cc 1983
,
honda xl 600 history
,
honda xl honda 600 need a battery
,
why have a battery honda xl600
,
xl600 choke
,
xl600 choke lever
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda S2000 - My first Honda Car .OrgOwner Off-Topic 22 06-03-2009 1:54 PM
HONDA OEM OIL FILTER 2006 Honda CBR 1000 RR thaiwebb General Discussion 4 03-31-2008 10:26 AM
Honda Civic Type-R vs CBR 1000RR Honda Fireblade .OrgOwner General Discussion 4 10-18-2007 12:26 AM
Honda CBR1000RR on Honda Europe Site! mdw954 Honda FireBlade 4 09-11-2003 1:38 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome