Help please 1984 XR 100 - Page 2 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda Off-Road Discussion of Honda Off-Road Vehicles, including Honda Dirt Bikes, Honda ATVs, Honda 4-Wheelers, and Honda Watercraft.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 2:55 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227

Re: Help please 1984 XR 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rrHonda View Post
Yea, was just Sayin he did say he cleaned old one before puttin back on. Prob wouldn't hurt for him to check it out again tho.
Yep.
It's odd that it has spark and is igniting the fuel it's getting, but it won't run.
I think he's going to have to check valve clearances and cam timing next, pretty easy to do on these.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 3:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 33

He did say got it running but very poorly. And air mixture screw made no difference. Wonder what kind of filter is clean and muffler don't have dirt dobbers in it.
usually those motor don't get off time. Pretty bullet proof engines. I had one some time ago. But it is possible.
The carb is as easy as they get, but maybe has clogged passage.? Never said plug was wet with fuel betting it fuel air related.

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.
post #18 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 3:06 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
He did say got it running but very poorly. And air mixture screw made no difference. Wonder what kind of filter is clean and muffler don't have dirt dobbers in it.
usually those motor don't get off time. Pretty bullet proof engines. I had one some time ago. But it is possible.
The carb is as easy as they get, but maybe has clogged passage.? Never said plug was wet with fuel betting it fuel air related.

I think it's an air/fuel problem as well but it should run on starter fluid if that were the problem. The engine should run all day long without the carb as long as you keep squirting starter fluid at the intake port.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I think it's an air/fuel problem as well but it should run on starter fluid if that were the problem. The engine should run all day long without the carb as long as you keep squirting starter fluid at the intake port.
The thought of starter fluid makes me cringe... it washes the rings pretty bad if used all time to get it going. I use water bottle with small hose to squirt gas.
I agree tho if should be poppin off on starter fluid tho but screw that, id dig into carb and clean check everything out. That bike should start second kick on 20° day
Like I said its a bullet proof engine. He'll slap himself in the forehead when finds the minor issue.

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.
post #20 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 3:33 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
The thought of starter fluid makes me cringe... it washes the rings pretty bad if used all time to get it going. I use water bottle with small hose to squirt gas.
I agree tho if should be poppin off on starter fluid tho but screw that, id dig into carb and clean check everything out. That bike should start second kick on 20° day
Like I said its a bullet proof engine. He'll slap himself in the forehead when finds the minor issue.

Say what?
Do you have any evidence of this?
The starter fluid burns away just like fuel.
If the engine isn't firing then possibly it might wash bores a little, but only if you put an awful lot of it in there, just the same as turning it over with the kill switch off - it's still sucking fuel. Even if the engine isn't burning it, most of it is simply being pumped out the exhaust port.

post #21 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Say what?
Do you have any evidence of this?
The starter fluid burns away just like fuel.
If the engine isn't firing then possibly it might wash bores a little, but only if you put an awful lot of it in there, just the same as turning it over with the kill switch off - it's still sucking fuel. Even if the engine isn't burning it, most of it is simply being pumped out the exhaust port.
Iv seen it happen to mowers and stuff. And some old motorbikes that took half a can everytime they wanna ride it. Over the few months of watching the stupid neighbor guy with his old yamaha spraying tons of starter fluid to ride it. It eventually lost compression started burning more and more oil and eventually quit all together.
Now to say. I did not visually see bore rings before and after all the starter fluid applications. So I cannot say 100% that it was the culprit but pretty good idea that's what it was.

But I have seen ware in bores in mower engines from starter fluid on everystart.

post #22 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 3:45 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Iv seen it happen to mowers and stuff. And some old motorbikes that took half a can everytime they wanna ride it. Over the few months of watching the stupid neighbor guy with his old yamaha spraying tons of starter fluid to ride it. It eventually lost compression started burning more and more oil and eventually quit all together.
Now to say. I did not visually see bore rings before and after all the starter fluid applications. So I cannot say 100% that it was the culprit but pretty good idea that's what it was.

But I have seen ware in bores in mower engines from starter fluid on everystart.

If you're talking two-stroke engines then you might be onto something. If you want to start those you shouldn't use any fuel without properly mixing it with oil. Two-strokes don't have oil control rings so you _must_ lubricate the bores via the fuel.

post #23 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 4:00 AM

Quote:
If you're talking two-stroke engines then you might be onto something. If you want to start those you shouldn't use any fuel without properly mixing it with oil. Two-strokes don't have oil control rings so you _must_ lubricate the bores via the fuel.
No sir, 4stroke. Hell everybody should know starter fluid. In two stroke can break crank blow hole in piston wash rings. Almost immediately. Etc

Yea the solvents in starter guild are very harsh and say u don't have spark and think of all the starter fluid just rinseing the oil off cylinder walls then your rings scrapeing up and down more and more friction no oil on bore keep kicking or cranking next thing ya know. Chink there goes a ring or ridge off side of piston holding ring up. Starter fluid is a big no no! I throw it away if I see it in any garage. Lol
if it won't crank on gas you've git a problem. If checking for spark hold that wire you'll find out quickly. Or get 4dollar spark tester.

Squirt bottle of gas. Or... if you absolutely feel you need starter fluid turn engine over and spray tiny shot while cranking.

post #24 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 4:05 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
No sir, 4stroke. Hell everybody should know starter fluid. In two stroke can break crank blow hole in piston wash rings. Almost immediately. Etc

Yea the solvents in starter guild are very harsh and say u don't have spark and think of all the starter fluid just rinseing the oil off cylinder walls then your rings scrapeing up and down more and more friction no oil on bore keep kicking or cranking next thing ya know. Chink there goes a ring or ridge off side of piston holding ring up. Starter fluid is a big no no! I throw it away if I see it in any garage. Lol
if it won't crank on gas you've git a problem. If checking for spark hold that wire you'll find out quickly. Or get 4dollar spark tester.

Squirt bottle of gas. Or... if you absolutely feel you need starter fluid turn engine over and spray tiny shot while cranking.

There is a rather obvious reason why everybody might not know about this "problem" ;-)
You would still have oil held in the oil control ring for some time so I really don't see it being a problem.
I don't suppose you're aware of any actual evidence regarding this?

post #25 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 4:11 AM

Quote:
There is a rather obvious reason why everybody might not know about this "problem" ;-)
You would still have oil held in the oil control ring for some time so I really don't see it being a problem.
I don't suppose you're aware of any actual evidence regarding this?
Ill find you some info on your beloved starter fluid. Lol
In the meantime try a Google search on results of starter fluid or something along the lines.
I'm not saying it'll ruin engine with catastrophic failure immediately but with prolonged useage. It indeed will harm your engine..

post #26 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 4:20 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ill find you some info on your beloved starter fluid. Lol
In the meantime try a Google search on results of starter fluid or something along the lines.
I'm not saying it'll ruin engine with catastrophic failure immediately but with prolonged useage. It indeed will harm your engine..

Since you seem to know of it being a problem I assumed you must've seen it discussed elsewhere.
I would agree, that if you have an engine that won't fire and you insist on pouring very large amounts of starter fluid, or any other volitile fuel into it, there's a chance of doing damage.
Otherwise, I don't see that starter fluid does anything to the engine that normal fuel doesn't do under the same circumstances. As I said, the starter fluid goes into the engine pre-vapourised and _most_ of it simply gets pumped out the exhaust port. You would need a _very_ generous supply to leave enough residue to wash the bores, unless the engine has no compression, in which case it probably doesn't matter anyway.
I'm calling this an urban myth in my opinion.

post #27 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Since you seem to know of it being a problem I assumed you must've seen it discussed elsewhere.
I would agree, that if you have an engine that won't fire and you insist on pouring very large amounts of starter fluid, or any other volitile fuel into it, there's a chance of doing damage.
Otherwise, I don't see that starter fluid does anything to the engine that normal fuel doesn't do under the same circumstances. As I said, the starter fluid goes into the engine pre-vapourised and _most_ of it simply gets pumped out the exhaust port. You would need a _very_ generous supply to leave enough residue to wash the bores, unless the engine has no compression, in which case it probably doesn't matter anyway.
I'm calling this an urban myth in my opinion.
I would never use it again. But like I said very little use has no real harm. But the ether in starting fluid burns hotter than gas does and cause hot spots of carbon deposited valves or piston crowns etc.
if you search for 30 seconds you'll see plenty of people saying that it can be bad and for what reasons.
I found handful of forums etc talking of effects of long term heavy useage of starter fluid.

In my experience I never see anyone give small blast. Its always hold nozzle for ten seconds lol. It being miss used like I said my neighbor did with his old yamacrap WILL cause severe engine damage.
There are other alternatives. Like lets say gasoline. Lol like its supposed to run on.

So get ya a squirt bottle and small I/d hose , poke hole in lid shove hose into lid pour some gas in bottle put lid on. And.....
whala ~~~~ gasoline "starting fluid"

post #28 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 4:52 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I would never use it again. But like I said very little use has no real harm. But the ether in starting fluid burns hotter than gas does and cause hot spots of carbon deposited valves or piston crowns etc.
if you search for 30 seconds you'll see plenty of people saying that it can be bad and for what reasons.
I found handful of forums etc talking of effects of long term heavy useage of starter fluid.

In my experience I never see anyone give small blast. Its always hold nozzle for ten seconds lol. It being miss used like I said my neighbor did with his old yamacrap WILL cause severe engine damage.
There are other alternatives. Like lets say gasoline. Lol like its supposed to run on.

So get ya a squirt bottle and small I/d hose , poke hole in lid shove hose into lid pour some gas in bottle put lid on. And.....
whala ~~~~ gasoline "starting fluid"

I did actually just do a search and you're right, there are people talking about it. But I couldn't find anybody offering actual evidence or proof of it causing any problems at all.

post #29 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 5:02 AM

Okay blade. Your right I'm blowing pink smoke out of my ass.
Starting fluid is highly recommended for any application you see fit. Cause no harm to anything ever ever. So spray away fellas no worries of burning piston washing rings burning valves etc with over use of said starting fluid.

So I wouldn't listen anything engine builders and mechanics says bad about starting fluid. Until you see proof of your rings in pieces or a hole in your piston from personal experience. Shouldn't learn from others mistakes.

I resign from this thread

post #30 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 5:04 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Okay blade. Your right I'm blowing pink smoke out of my ass.
Starting fluid is highly recommended for any application you see fit. Cause no harm to anything ever ever. So spray away fellas no worries of burning piston washing rings burning valves etc with over use of said starting fluid.

So I wouldn't listen anything engine builders and mechanics says bad about starting fluid. Until you see proof of your rings in pieces or a hole in your piston from personal experience. Shouldn't learn from others mistakes.

I resign from this thread

I didn't see any builders or mechanics talking about it causing any problems though. It was all "I read...", "I heard...", "a guy told me...", and so on.
If you know of any actual proof please direct me to it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Off-Road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Search tags for this page
1984 xr 100 points location

1984 xr100

83 xr500r spark problems
88 xr100

a 1984 honda xl 100 gas mixture

honda 100r revs when i take choke off
how to stroke a 1984 xr100
pisto ring position on 83 xr 100 honda
why woant my 1984 honda xr 600 get spark
xr 100 backfires then wont run
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page