Help please 1984 XR 100 - Page 3 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda Off-Road Discussion of Honda Off-Road Vehicles, including Honda Dirt Bikes, Honda ATVs, Honda 4-Wheelers, and Honda Watercraft.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 5:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 33

Re: Help please 1984 XR 100

Inside a gas engine there is a spark plug. A gas engine that is fed the following three things in the right amounts will always start provided the timing is correct and the following ingredients are mixed in the proper ratio. Air to oxidize the fuel, fuel atomized and mixed with the air to a stoichiometric ratio, and spark correctly timed to ignite the mixture. When you pour starting fluid into a gas engine it can do a few bad things. It can cause pre-detonation since the compression inside the engine may heat the air enough to cause pre ignition of the ether. Ether also burns faster then gasoline creating higher pressures inside the engine. It is completely possible to crack a piston, blow out head gaskets, or bend rods if enough is used. It can cause ring or cylinder damage by washing the cylinder dry or wearing down the top ring with repeated heavy use. Gas engines are not designed to withstand the forces that may develop from using ether inside them.

Also can create excess combustion pressure and make exhaust valves hard to open causeing bent valves (rare but not unheard of). And or it equipt with push rods not to uncommon to bend connecting rods.

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.

Last edited by 900rrHonda; 08-05-2013 at 5:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 6:06 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rrHonda View Post
Inside a gas engine there is a spark plug. A gas engine that is fed the following three things in the right amounts will always start provided the timing is correct and the following ingredients are mixed in the proper ratio. Air to oxidize the fuel, fuel atomized and mixed with the air to a stoichiometric ratio, and spark correctly timed to ignite the mixture. When you pour starting fluid into a gas engine it can do a few bad things. It can cause pre-detonation since the compression inside the engine may heat the air enough to cause pre ignition of the ether. Ether also burns faster then gasoline creating higher pressures inside the engine. It is completely possible to crack a piston, blow out head gaskets, or bend rods if enough is used. It can cause ring or cylinder damage by washing the cylinder dry or wearing down the top ring with repeated heavy use. Gas engines are not designed to withstand the forces that may develop from using ether inside them.

Also can create excess combustion pressure and make exhaust valves hard to open causeing bent valves (rare but not unheard of). And or it equipt with push rods not to uncommon to bend connecting rods.

Except that nobody is talking about "pouring starting fluid into an engine". The act of spraying it in pre-atomises it so it is much more volatile. The act of turning the engine over sucks that atomised fuel in with a lungful of air, and then pumps it out the exhaust port if the engine fails to ignite it for some reason. You would be more likely to cause damage spraying fuel in as it is more likely to remain in liquid form.
Why would you be spraying starter fluid into a hot engine?
You appear to be describing using ether as a fuel rather than for diagnostic or starting purposes, in that case I would agree with you for the most part, but it has nothing at all to do with what we've been discussing.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 08-05-2013 at 6:20 AM.
post #33 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 1:58 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

well back on topic lol. I did clean the entire carb 2 days ago. nothing is blocked that I can tell. the bike fires up on the first kick with the choke on full. once its idiling if i put the choke on middle position seems to run with proper revs. if i turn choke all the way off it revs very high. No missing on the motor seems timing is ok. I am at a loss as to how to remedy this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 9:18 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammar View Post
well back on topic lol. I did clean the entire carb 2 days ago. nothing is blocked that I can tell. the bike fires up on the first kick with the choke on full. once its idiling if i put the choke on middle position seems to run with proper revs. if i turn choke all the way off it revs very high. No missing on the motor seems timing is ok. I am at a loss as to how to remedy this

Okay then :-)
The choke circuit appears to be fine.
When you turn the choke off it sounds like the engine is going very lean though.
How many turns are on the mixture screw?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #35 of 35 Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

i tried at almost all settings turning screw 1/2 a turn every time. I originally had it at 2 1/2 turns out

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Off-Road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Search tags for this page
1984 xr 100 points location

1984 xr100

83 xr500r spark problems
88 xr100

a 1984 honda xl 100 gas mixture

honda 100r revs when i take choke off
how to stroke a 1984 xr100
pisto ring position on 83 xr 100 honda
why woant my 1984 honda xr 600 get spark
xr 100 backfires then wont run
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page