Help please 1984 XR 100 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda Off-Road Discussion of Honda Off-Road Vehicles, including Honda Dirt Bikes, Honda ATVs, Honda 4-Wheelers, and Honda Watercraft.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 07-05-2011, 6:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Help please 1984 XR 100

Hey all I just bought this dirt bike for my son. It has new carb new condesner new plug. When I kick it it turns over and after about 4 or 5 kicks. It seems to backfire sort of a phewwwwww sound from te exaust. It dosent start. Before I bought it it did start and idle for a bit but as soon as i gave it gas it stalled. I only paid 175 bucks for it but would love to get it running for him. Any ideas? There is spark from the plug. Motor turns over easily. Not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 07-06-2011, 9:40 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227

Re: Help please 1984 XR 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammar View Post
Hey all I just bought this dirt bike for my son. It has new carb new condesner new plug. When I kick it it turns over and after about 4 or 5 kicks. It seems to backfire sort of a phewwwwww sound from te exaust. It dosent start. Before I bought it it did start and idle for a bit but as soon as i gave it gas it stalled. I only paid 175 bucks for it but would love to get it running for him. Any ideas? There is spark from the plug. Motor turns over easily. Not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

What do you mean by "new carb" - brand new never had fuel in it?
Have you tried spraying starter fluid into the intake while kicking the engine over?
When you say the "motor turns over easily" do you mean it has little compression?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 35 Old 07-06-2011, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

It seems to have proper compression I men the motor is not having any issues turning over. The carb has fuel in it though the PO did put a brand new carb on it. I have the old carb. Like I said if u kick it over 4 or 5 times it backfires.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 07-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
It seems to have proper compression I men the motor is not having any issues turning over. The carb has fuel in it though the PO did put a brand new carb on it. I have the old carb. Like I said if u kick it over 4 or 5 times it backfires.

Thanks

But you can definately feel the compression stroke?
If the new carb has been sitting for a few months with fuel in it though it'll be just as blocked as the new one that Honda put on it back in '84.
Backfiring could be cam or ignition timing.
Try starter fluid to rule out carburetion or spark as the problem.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 35 Old 07-09-2011, 6:10 AM Thread Starter

Yes I can feel the compression stroke. I tried the starter fluid no go would not start. Still small backfire after kicking over a few times. There definately is spark from the plug. I looked at the timing marks and the flywheel is on the Tdc mark when the piston is at top of stroke.
post #6 of 35 Old 07-09-2011, 8:05 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yes I can feel the compression stroke. I tried the starter fluid no go would not start. Still small backfire after kicking over a few times. There definately is spark from the plug. I looked at the timing marks and the flywheel is on the Tdc mark when the piston is at top of stroke.

If you have spark then I think you're going to have to pop the lid off and check the cam timing and valve clearances and check the ignition timing.

The timing mark on the rotor won't move unless the rotor turns on the crank, can happen but not common.

post #7 of 35 Old 08-04-2013, 3:31 PM Thread Starter

so I know this has been a long time. havent had time work on the bike till recently. The carb that the PO had on there was the wrong one. I had the original carb and cleaned that out and got the bike running but the throttle is very unresponsive and it backfires alot i am trying to figure out what settings for the carb to get it running better can anyone help?
post #8 of 35 Old 08-04-2013, 6:18 PM

Reputation Power: 33

Quote:
so I know this has been a long time. havent had time work on the bike till recently. The carb that the PO had on there was the wrong one. I had the original carb and cleaned that out and got the bike running but the throttle is very unresponsive and it backfires alot i am trying to figure out what settings for the carb to get it running better can anyone help?
Does the bike idle well but bangs out when hit throttle? Does it have aftermarket pipe? Idleair mixture screw should be around 1 1/2 turns out from seated.

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.
post #9 of 35 Old 08-04-2013, 6:38 PM Thread Starter

I have tried the idler mixture screw in every possible position. Right now it will run and backfire sometimes with no response from the throttle. then after a while it will run at high revs. with choke in middle position it seems to have the right rpm and throttle works
post #10 of 35 Old 08-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I have tried the idler mixture screw in every possible position. Right now it will run and backfire sometimes with no response from the throttle. then after a while it will run at high revs. with choke in middle position it seems to have the right rpm and throttle works

You have cleaned this carb recently?

post #11 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
You have cleaned this carb recently?
He says he has or did before put back on in his post where stated other carb was wrong and he put stock on on after cleaning.

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.
post #12 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 1:04 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rrHonda View Post
He says he has or did before put back on in his post where stated other carb was wrong and he put stock on on after cleaning.

Sure, but that was a couple years ago ;-)

post #13 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 2:21 AM

Quote:
so I know this has been a long time. havent had time work on the bike till recently. The carb that the PO had on there was the wrong one. I had the original Carb and cleaned that out and got the bike running but the throttle is very unresponsive and it backfires alot i am trying to figure out what settings for the carb to get it running better can anyone help?
His first post after reviving the thread said he cleaned original carb and put in on

post #14 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 2:40 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rrHonda View Post
His first post after reviving the thread said he cleaned original carb and put in on

Yes, but he didn't say he'd done it _recently_, I'm trying to get confirmation is all.

post #15 of 35 Old 08-05-2013, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Yes, but he didn't say he'd done it _recently_, I'm trying to get confirmation is all.
Yea, was just Sayin he did say he cleaned old one before puttin back on. Prob wouldn't hurt for him to check it out again tho.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda Off-Road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Search tags for this page
1984 honda xl 600r wont't start just backfires

1984 xr100

83 xr500r spark problems
88 xr100

a 1984 honda xl 100 gas mixture

how to stroke a 1984 xr100
pisto ring position on 83 xr 100 honda
why woant my 1984 honda xr 600 get spark
xr 100 backfires then wont run
xr100 low compression symtoms
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page