Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Why buy an RC51?

2M views 66 replies 37 participants last post by  Honda434 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of selling my 2006 GSX-R1000 and picking up a slightly used 2004-2006 RC 51. I'd really like to hear what you all think makes this bike so special. I have ridden a 2000 model and can say it wasn't blazing fast but the Vtwin power sure was fun and the sound coming out the back end was GREAT! I know I DO NOT need 160hp on the street so that's one reason I'm considering selling my GIXXER1000.

Let's hear it~:smilebig:

#20 ·
It sounds like you're already convinced! :D Although it wouldn't make sense to get the RC if you intend on putting your lady on the back.

The only way to truly convince yourself is to take the intended model for a thorough day long ride. Perhaps if you go for a fang with some mates if there's an RC51 in the pack they might let you switcheroo? :eyebrows:

#7 ·
my buddys have tricked out RC51'sw/sato's the works and i love the **** out of those bikes even though i shred there ass on the 929.
they are one of a kind machines,i like the ride and feel better than the duc's
because im only 5-8 they fit me a lot better, i just cant get the top end acceleration from them that i've grown to love.
they are great bikes and will allways have a strong (cult)YA YOU! following like the rc31,rc45 v4's.
you cant go wrong with an RC51, i will have one!

#13 ·
The RC51 is the best HRC production creation to grace this earth of ours. It can beat most bikes down low due to its amount of torque, and if you lose one tooth on the front gear you can beat anything that wants to race you on the streets. The only down side is the sore ass factor, Just have the seat repaded with an extra layer of foam and it cures the problem perfectly. It is on the heavy side but a 180 rear helps you tip in and out of corners with ease. The brakes have had rave reviews since the release of the 2000 model so you will never have any problems stopping. Honda has basically given the consumer a race and title winning street racer with some of the best parts on it that money can buy. It beat Ducati twice for the world title. It cost a hell of a lot less to buy as well for the same results. The final factors that got me to buy it was the look, sound and the fact that they are not on every street corner like a GSXR or R1.

#16 ·
The RC51 is the best HRC production creation to grace this earth of ours. It can beat most bikes down low due to its amount of torque, and if you lose one tooth on the front gear you can beat anything that wants to race you on the streets. The only down side is the sore ass factor, Just have the seat repaded with an extra layer of foam and it cures the problem perfectly. It is on the heavy side but a 180 rear helps you tip in and out of corners with ease. The brakes have had rave reviews since the release of the 2000 model so you will never have any problems stopping. Honda has basically given the consumer a race and title winning street racer with some of the best parts on it that money can buy. It beat Ducati twice for the world title. It cost a hell of a lot less to buy as well for the same results. The final factors that got me to buy it was the look, sound and the fact that they are not on every street corner like a GSXR or R1.

You sound slightly biased :thumb:

I do agree with the 180 rear, I put the 180 Power Pilot on my RR and I love it.

I understand different bikes and loyalty, I just didn't get owning a bike like the '06 gixxer and basically downgrading.

#19 ·
The thing lacking is what YOU want out of it. I have a CBR1000RR and a RC51 and can tell you they are totally different bikes. I use the RC on the track 99% of the time and it has served me well with a lot of grin factor. It is somewhere between 600s and inline liters on speed. The RR I use for road riding and it is a bit more comfortable with vastly different handling and power delivery. I might be able to give more specifics but a lot depends on what you want the bike for.

#23 ·
IIRC the RC51 is a 1 litre twin.

If you're getting a V-Rod, unless you're a born again twin nut, I'd stick with the I4. It might be more power than you think you need, but you might just miss it when it's gone. :eyebrows:
Yes I realize the RC 51 is a twin 1000cc. But I know the power delivery is more linear and less violent. Plus that SOUND.
I know I'll again someday have another I4 like maybe a GSX-R750 or even maybe my 4th 1000 but for right now, I want something diff. I'm almost 40 and am ready to ride for the fun of it, not just the adrenaline part that the Big Gixxer gives me. I have aways hated Harley's but ONE ride on a V-Rod and I was sold. I was considering a VTX1800 or the new Suz M109R but my wife calls them BUDDIES. (Like fake Nike's from PayLess) :smilebig:

#35 ·
I am sorry for you.:nono:.. So we (the group) aren't salesmen..
We are motorcycles riders, that have, and enjoy a motorcycle with a soul for speed in the twisties, A grunt down low of torgue that excites us out of the turns..
And you can see -us (RC-51 riders) as we dodge you in the road, and roll on the throttle.. And you watch the tail lights disappear...:eek:

#32 ·
Thanks Brotha! I've never like HD's....until I drove a VROD a couple weeks ago and was hooked. Totally diff experience!! The Vrod's are obviously not Sport Bike fast but let me tell you...cruising at 60-70 and nailing it.....and hitting 100mph immediately was incredible to say the least. :eyebrows:

#39 ·
I think an inline 4 is more forgiving, in the sense of engine rev range and throttle. i raced through the twisties the other day on the tail of a modern 4 pot. you need to operate the throttle very carefully while leaning into a tight corner. instant closure pushes the nose into the ground, instant throttle launches the nose into space. all this jerkiness can cause one big bugger up at 120mph in a tight corner.

#41 ·
haha, you guys realize this thread was from May of 2007?

At any rate if somebody is considering a Vrod or an RC then clearly they have different expectations of what motorcycling is than what most sportbikers do. I for one like my RC51, but it's not the end-all, be-all of sportbikes. I imagine I'll get a few years and a few thousand miles of service from her before making her track only or selling for the next bike(s).

#42 ·
haha, you guys realize this thread was from May of 2007?

At any rate if somebody is considering a Vrod or an RC then clearly they have different expectations of what motorcycling is than what most sportbikers do. I for one like my RC51, but it's not the end-all, be-all of sportbikes. I imagine I'll get a few years and a few thousand miles of service from her before making her track only or selling for the next bike(s).
I know, huh? :rotfl: Sometimes someone fishes up one of these sleepers and brings 'em back. That's cool with me as long as they're on topic why not?

:plus1: with the rest of your quote. Except, I'll keep my RC51 till I just cant handle riding it any more then give it to my son. It's got more character than any bike I've ridden yet. imo. But certainly not the end-all be-all. Hell, no bike is. Time goes on and in the decade since the RC51 had any new development, many improvements are bound to happen. I think the 2004 1000rr had all the torque and all the power of a RC51. And I suspect the 08 and up exceed it.

#43 ·
LAZARUS....COME FORTH!!!

Wicked_Fast......resurrecting dead threads is my bag baby.....

#47 ·
I have owned my 2000 model for 7 years and although I have only done 2300 miles on it since I bought it (work away from home) it's been a very good bike, never failed to start or any other issues to speak of. It's my first big twin I was a kawazaki man but I liked the style of this bike and at 15 years old it still looks very modern and better than some of the new bikes. Honda quality really shines through and let's not forget Honda made a loss on everyone of these bikes sold. On my bike I have scorpian cans with removable baffles and my god what a sound they make....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.