Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

My 1984 Honda Magna 700 has a mysterious ailment. Can you think of anything?

16K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  kd4ysi tony 
#1 ·
I have a 1984 Honda Magna 700 with 30k miles. It starts up and runs just fine. The problem... after about 30-40 minutes of driving (when the bike gets good and hot) the oil light starts blinking when idling. After a few more minutes, the engine shuts down at idle. The only way to get her moving is to crank up the choke and rev my way home. Runs fine once she cools down and the process is repeated.

The temperture gauge doesn't go much past half, still a ways to red.

The oil has been changed and the filter has been replaced. The radiator has been flushed and the lines checked.

The mechanic has suggested a carb rebuild but is open to suggestion. It has us both stumped.

#2 · (Edited)
Hey - Maybe two seperate problems. Sounds like it may be running lean. Needs more fuel. When you apply choke the mix gets rich. Take a look at the plugs. They should look like an amber color if burnning good. A bad fuel pump could cause the problems you discribed. Besides that, the old V's where known to have a top end valvetrain oiling issue. If you let the mechanic work on it, inspect the cam and valve train area for excessive wear. Somehow you need to check the oil pressure also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.