86 vfr 500 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Introductions New here? Introduce yourself!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 03-27-2010, 2:35 AM Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
86 vfr 500

hello to all. im new at this computer thing and im still learning as i go so please excuse me if i stutter. i just bought this bike the other day. when i test drove the bike it ran fine. when i picked the bike up couple days later i imediately noticed two things: one,the seller had touched up the paint on the tank. and two, the bike was now idling at 4000 rpm.i also noticed a fuel smell when i shut the bike down. when i tried to remove the fuel line i got face full of gas! i dont know much but i do know that a petcock shouldnt flow without vacuum. so i took it apart and found that the valve has two diaphrams and no spring. the (on) line to open the valve is present. allowing fuel to flow freely at all times. im guessing when he took the tank off to re- paint it he didnt re-attach the (off) vacuum line. so is there a second vacuum line that shuts off the fuel or is it missing its spring? my manual says nothing helpful. i have never seen a fuel valve that relies on vacuum to stay closed when not running. this seems unnecessarily dangerous. but there is no spring to close the valve and there is a spot on the valve for a second vacuum line. applying vacuum at this port sucks the diaphragm the other direction shutting off the flow off gas. so i guess my actual question is: how do i stop fuel from gushing out of the perfectly fine fuel valve? if it does use two vacuum lines where does the engine side attach? should i retrofit a spring for safety? any advice or personal experiences are appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Site Related > Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Search tags for this page

honda vfr500

honda vfr500 fuel valve

honda vfr500 tank
manual de vfr500

vfr 500

vfr 500 83

vfr 500 engine
vfr 500 fuel tank
vfr cock
vfr vacum to gas tank?
vfr500 manual
vfr500 manuel
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page