Carburetor questions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Kawasaki Motorcycles Discussion of Kawasaki Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-12-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 2

Carburetor questions

Hey guys I have a carburetor question, well I think it's a carburetor question . I would ask this on a "ninja forum" but no one answers anything on them from my experience on zxforum. Anywho carbs are carbs. I have this 1992 zx6 that I just recently spent time putting back to stock. Repainted entire stock exhaust, rejet carbs (had D&D exhaust with applicable jet changes). I did a basic simple dynojet adjustments for a stock bike, 136 main jet, 4 notches down on the needle and 3 turns out on the air fuel mixture screws all according to instructions. Also synced with a Mercury carb tool I have. Bikes runs pretty dang good and I have been happy with it, but.... I have felt some "hesitation" when leaned through decent sized sweepers, like interstate exchanges. I have been scratching my head a little bit on this, the only thing I can come up with is maybe float height? Can any old school carburetor gurus shed some light?
Thanks in advance, Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-13-2015, 2:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 3

Re: Carburetor questions

Remember no bike is the same.even if you buy the same kit meant dor the same bike . . .. Some bike maybe need 2 turns out instead of 3 or 3 notches down on the needles instead of 4 i think you get what im saying and by hesitation do you mean its struggling to pick up speed or do you mean its bogging down when opening the throttle . . . p.s 3 turns out on the air fuel screw sound like way to much

The one who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd.The one who ride's alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been
post #3 of 11 Old 11-13-2015, 2:17 AM

And are you running the stock filter or a high dlow airfilter like k&n?

The one who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd.The one who ride's alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-13-2015, 4:12 AM
President Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 72

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrmatt88 View Post
Hey guys I have a carburetor question, well I think it's a carburetor question . I would ask this on a "ninja forum" but no one answers anything on them from my experience on zxforum. Anywho carbs are carbs. I have this 1992 zx6 that I just recently spent time putting back to stock. Repainted entire stock exhaust, rejet carbs (had D&D exhaust with applicable jet changes). I did a basic simple dynojet adjustments for a stock bike, 136 main jet, 4 notches down on the needle and 3 turns out on the air fuel mixture screws all according to instructions. Also synced with a Mercury carb tool I have. Bikes runs pretty dang good and I have been happy with it, but.... I have felt some "hesitation" when leaned through decent sized sweepers, like interstate exchanges. I have been scratching my head a little bit on this, the only thing I can come up with is maybe float height? Can any old school carburetor gurus shed some light?
Thanks in advance, Matt
Fourth groove down on the needle could be a bit rich in that section. A good sweeper would be steady to increasing throttle at a partial opening. Sounds pretty good for it to be on the needle. Although I usually attribute "sluggishness" and not "hesitation" to a rich condition, it's probably the easiest of the adjustments to make with minimal disassembly. Get it 2 notches up on the needle and see how she responds in similar conditions.

Not as familiar with the Kawi's, but if the float is adjustable give it a look see. There might be a height spec to reference. The old Honda 900's and 600's had plastic floats with no adjustment.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Last edited by IanDoohan; 11-13-2015 at 5:06 PM. Reason: Forgot to proofread.......
post #5 of 11 Old 11-13-2015, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Ya the settings was the recommendations in the instructions. I thought it was weird the needle settings was the same for both an exhaust mod or stock. Also it has the stock air filter. The hesitation is like a slowing/surging feeling. Like if you were rocking the bike forwards and back.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-13-2015, 12:15 PM

I c . . .i know exactly what your talking about my bike does that at the moment thats why im also getting a jet kit . .. .but thats odd cuz normally that type of hesitation means "to lean" in that specific rev range and i think ian would agree with me here. .could it be that you maybe need one more washer under your needles? That would be odd.

post #7 of 11 Old 11-13-2015, 7:27 PM Thread Starter

Well here is where things get questionable. I am not the first person in these carbs, and the fellow that worked on it before me did not know what he was doing. All the parts as dynojet suggests are installed the way they want them. They say to reuse all the stock hardware and spacers which I did but it was only 1 very small spacer there. I tried to look up a parts fiche to see what Kawasaki shows and I didn't even see any spacers there. That confused me for sure but like i said it does run pretty dang good.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-14-2015, 1:18 AM

Wait a minute what stage jet kit dit you get?stage 1 or 2?

post #9 of 11 Old 11-14-2015, 1:19 AM

Take it one more notch down on the needle and see how she runs i bet it would improve.

post #10 of 11 Old 11-14-2015, 6:33 PM Thread Starter

It's a stage 1. When you mean "down a notch" do you mean up? There is only 1 notch left down, but that would richen it. Unless we are just confusing words? Should I leave it at 3 turns out on the air/fuel screws as well? Remember she is 100% stock except the carb adjustments.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-15-2015, 12:51 PM

Wow just one notch left. . put it on the last notch and see how she runs?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other Motorcycle Brands > Kawasaki Motorcycles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page