Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic » how to determine wire polarity

Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2004, 9:14 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 17
stegen has a spectacular aura about stegen has a spectacular aura about
how to determine wire polarity

I have to wire up a powersupply for our camera tomorrow. i have a 3 prong power cord that has ground, neutral ground and hot. How do i determine which wire is which? the end is cut off and i have to figure out which is which. my dad said something about ohms and i can check the hot by plugging it in and using a voltmeter but what about the grounds?
stegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-31-2004, 9:52 PM   #2

Reputation Power: 19
G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough
Re: how to determine wire polarity

I'm assuming it dc voltage? Just put a volt meter across the two hot leads, if it reads positive voltage, then the wire you got the positive (usualy red) test lead on is the positive one.
G-Force Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:10 PM   #3

Reputation Power: 13
OntheEdge is on a distinguished road

If it's an AC cord normal colors are Black-Hot, White-Neutral, Green-Ground
OntheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:36 PM   #4
Fig
Newton

Reputation Power: 14
Fig will become famous soon enough Fig will become famous soon enough

I think you are ready for that there electrical job......

This is where the deadly part comes in.
Fig
Fig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 12:30 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Fig
I think you are ready for that there electrical job......

This is where the deadly part comes in.
Fig

I still have to go through training. the guy that is seting me up with the job is going to teach me everything i need to know
Old 04-01-2004, 12:35 AM   #6

Originally Posted by OntheEdge
'if it was the normal colors, then i could do it no problem but the colors are all messed up. there a yellow/green, brown, black.

now cant you put a voltmeter on ohms and put pos on the plug end and neg on the wire end and if it shows resistence, its the wrong wire? if its shows 0 resistance, its the same wire?
Old 04-01-2004, 1:10 AM   #7
Fig
Newton

Reputation Power: 14
Fig will become famous soon enough Fig will become famous soon enough

To check if a wire on one end is the same as a wire on the other, yes, you put both leads on the ends, and if it shows 0 ohms, then you have the same wire. 0 ohms is a direct short. My point that I was joking about was you have to get the ends on the right wires. You hook a hot wire to ground, and not only will you fry the device, you might make the entire case of it hot, and I don't mean heat hot, electrically hot..

Just make sure you aren't standing barefoot in a puddle of water when you plug this thing in...
Fig
Fig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 1:25 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Fig
To check if a wire on one end is the same as a wire on the other, yes, you put both leads on the ends, and if it shows 0 ohms, then you have the same wire. 0 ohms is a direct short. My point that I was joking about was you have to get the ends on the right wires. You hook a hot wire to ground, and not only will you fry the device, you might make the entire case of it hot, and I don't mean heat hot, electrically hot..

Just make sure you aren't standing barefoot in a puddle of water when you plug this thing in...
Fig
thanks fig. i will be double checking with a expert on this too to be sure nothing goes wrong. still learning.
Old 04-01-2004, 1:33 AM   #9
Adding more and more CBR parts

Johnny Diablo has a spectacular aura about Johnny Diablo has a spectacular aura about Johnny Diablo has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Johnny Diablo

Originally Posted by stegen
'if it was the normal colors, then i could do it no problem but the colors are all messed up. there a yellow/green, brown, black.

now cant you put a voltmeter on ohms and put pos on the plug end and neg on the wire end and if it shows resistence, its the wrong wire? if its shows 0 resistance, its the same wire?
If this is low amp stuff it may turn out funny. If this is high amp stuff or say the outlet on the wall.....I picture all the other forums linking to this site much like everyone slows down to look at a car accident.

by the way if you check ohms on a hot wire you just may blow the meter.
Johnny Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 1:54 AM   #10

G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough

Ok, you need to provide more info before you post questions like this. I'm assuming Power supply for a camera= a 110vac transformer that go to something like 6 or 12 vdc? Or is it the wire between a battery pack and the camera? I dont know why your checking the ohms on anything, why are you trying to find the resistance of anything? Or are you using it as a poor mans subsitute to check continutiy??? What type of plug was/is supposed to be on there? Most low voltage dc stuff is two wire, maybe three if youhave some sort of shielding or grounding of a case or something. Have you bought that book I told you to buy yet?
Old 04-01-2004, 2:07 AM   #11

Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
Ok, you need to provide more info before you post questions like this. I'm assuming Power supply for a camera= a 110vac transformer that go to something like 6 or 12 vdc? Or is it the wire between a battery pack and the camera? I dont know why your checking the ohms on anything, why are you trying to find the resistance of anything? Or are you using it as a poor mans subsitute to check continutiy??? What type of plug was/is supposed to be on there? Most low voltage dc stuff is two wire, maybe three if youhave some sort of shielding or grounding of a case or something. Have you bought that book I told you to buy yet?
its like i am hooking up a powersupply for a pc but hardwire instead of a plug connection. its the exact same thing. regular wall outlet. i have 3 wires, color coding doesnt apply here, i need to find hot, neutral, ground, thats it.
I looked for the book but didnt find it anywhere so i am searching online for it.
Old 04-01-2004, 3:04 AM   #12

Ok, disreguard my PM, I'm way off. So you just got a standard 110 3 prong plug on one end, the other 3 bare wires? Your meter should have a continuity tester, if youtouch your two probes together, its beeps. hold one on the round ground prong of the plug, and touch the other to the other end of the 3 wires, only one will make continuty. Thats your ground. The other two are your nutral and hot wire, in a typical wall recptical, the wider of the two flat prongs is the common ground, and the narrower prong is the hot (Usualy black in 110 vac home wiring). Be carefull, your dealing with enough current and voltage to hurt your self or light your house on fire.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:59 AM   #13

Reputation Power: 12
CanyonCarver is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by stegen

You're looking at Euro color codes. Typically yellow/green = ground; brown = neutral; black = hot.

On a standard plug, the neutral will be the fatter blade of the two. Lower rounded blade is your ground. Smaller vertical blade is hot. On a standard household outlet installed with ground pin at bottom, your neutral will be on the left and hot on the right.

Hope this helps, Stegen. PM me if you have more questions.

Last edited by CanyonCarver; 04-01-2004 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typo
CanyonCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 6:47 PM   #14

got it to work right without any problems. thanks guys.
Old 04-01-2004, 7:36 PM   #15

showmethebombs will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

Originally Posted by OntheEdge

OntheEdge, you should check out the Arcade! Holy crap man, you are the gamemaster!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Search tags for this page
how to check direct current ground wire for polarity

how to check which wire is positive

how to determine polarity of wires on a motorcycle
how to determine positive neutral and ground wires

how to figure out which wire is positive

how to find polarity of a motorcycle

how to know which wire is positive

how to tell polar on wiring
how to tell the polarity of a wire
joined brown wires how to determine which is hot and neutral
power adapter find positive wire
wire polarity color
Click on a term to search for related topics.