Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic » Motorcycle Title problems

Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2004, 10:14 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 12
ucfmotorcycle1 will become famous soon enough
Motorcycle Title problems

Ok a little bit of a long story.

I bought a SV650 2 years ago. It was listed on ebay as a rebuildable title bike. It was in a wreck. The bike was here in Orlando so I looked at it and rode it before I bought it was $2000. The seller gave me a photocopy of the title and a bill of sale. The title copy was a Georgia title tilted to an Insurance company that totaled the bike out after the wreck. I wasn't too concerned since the guy had good feedback and I wasn't going to street ride the bike anyway. Well now 2 years later I want to sell the bike. It completely fixed up and streetable. The guy who sold it to me is gone, can't find him. The company he worked for is still in town and I have repeatedely asked them to get me a title. The always reply with some BS about trying to get it from Georgia and that they are working on it. Besides getting a lawyer and getting nasty with this. Is there any way to get a title for this bike? I know it was going to be a pain in the ass even when I got the title being that I would have to get a inspection and show receipts for the rebuild. I thought about maybe getting a frame with a clean title and just moving the numbers. Sounds like a criminal thing to do but this isn't a stolen bike just running out of options. I want to get rid of the thing but I'm not gonna throw away a $3000+ bike. Are bikes worth anything without titles? Any ideas let me know. In my opinion just owning the bike for 2 years should give me some rights to it . I called DMV they were no help.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:09 PM   #2

Reputation Power: 30
CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of
Re: Motorcycle Title problems

If the DMV can't help, you're going to be selling a $2000-2500 track bike. I strongly recommend that you do not screw around with a so called "clean" frame a unless you can do so legally, through the DMV. And in that case, you'll have spent more than you would recover.

Or, you could part it out...
CBRVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:03 AM   #3

Reputation Power: 14
alexandra is on a distinguished road

If the title was titled to an insurance company can't you contact them? I know here in Ohio you can get a new title if you have a bill of sale and then go through a few inspections..etc. If you don't feel like messing with it then your best bet is parting it out and you just can't sell the frame.

I'm also kind of confused as to why you only got a photocopy of a title instead of the real thing?

Music
alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:23 AM   #4
...no tour for you!

Reputation Power: 19
cbr99xx is a glorious beacon of light cbr99xx is a glorious beacon of light cbr99xx is a glorious beacon of light cbr99xx is a glorious beacon of light cbr99xx is a glorious beacon of light cbr99xx is a glorious beacon of light

In Georgia you can apply for a lost title as long as you have a bill of sale. I don't know what your status may be in that regard since it has been two years and ownership was never transferred. It may be as simple as paying a penalty for being late with your paperwork. I know that Georgia would probably want two years of back taxes as well as a fine (damn Ad Valorem tax).

Edit: The statement about back taxes was made in reference as to what would be levied on me, being a Georgia resident. If you do have to go through Ga. to title the bike, I doubt the tax would apply to you.

Last edited by cbr99xx; 09-05-2004 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Clairification
cbr99xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 2:07 PM   #5

So part it out or sell it as a no title bike??
Old 09-06-2004, 2:21 PM   #6
...no tour for you!

Reputation Power: 19
cbr99xx is a glorious beacon of light cbr99xx is a glorious beacon of light cbr99xx is a glorious beacon of light cbr99xx is a glorious beacon of light cbr99xx is a glorious beacon of light cbr99xx is a glorious beacon of light

If I were you, I would go down to the tag office, bill of sale in hand, and talk to a supervisor. If your DMVS is anything like Ga's, every time you talk to someone on the phone you get a different answer.

If you are not willing to pursue a title I don't think you have any choice but to part the bike out. Trying to sell a bike without a title or MSO raises too many questions (or suspicions) IMHO.
Old 09-06-2004, 3:06 PM   #7

Reputation Power: 34
CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of CBR929RE has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

sell it as a whole bike but listed as a parts bike and that there is no title or sell it as a track only bike. Anyone here looking for an Sv650 track bike?
Old 09-06-2004, 5:13 PM   #8

Originally Posted by cbr99xx
If I were you, I would go down to the tag office, bill of sale in hand, and talk to a supervisor. If your DMVS is anything like Ga's, every time you talk to someone on the phone you get a different answer.

If you are not willing to pursue a title I don't think you have any choice but to part the bike out. Trying to sell a bike without a title or MSO raises too many questions (or suspicions) IMHO.

Its worth a shot but I did talk to a few people on the phone and they all told me I was out of luck.
Old 09-06-2004, 6:02 PM   #9
Adding more and more CBR parts

Reputation Power: 17
Johnny Diablo has a spectacular aura about Johnny Diablo has a spectacular aura about Johnny Diablo has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Johnny Diablo

There are title services companies from Alabama and I think Arizona? You sell them the bike on paper and they register it in one of these "lax on paperwork states" Then the title co sells it back to you with title.

I have dealt with alot of old scooters that owners lost titles for. You write down the serial numbers and walk into a law agency and run em to see if they are on record. If no record but it and take it to CHP get the serial numbers verified. Fill out forms to get a title and registration. If it is on record you need to get the owner of title to sign a release of interest. Take that form to DMV and fill out papers.

Dont break the law whatever you do. Its not worth it.
I wish I had the money to buy your bike
Johnny Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 7:36 PM   #10

Reputation Power: 18
TraumaOne is just really nice TraumaOne is just really nice TraumaOne is just really nice TraumaOne is just really nice TraumaOne is just really nice
Send a message via Yahoo to TraumaOne

I sold my track SV as a no title bill-of sale bike...
Old 09-06-2004, 10:35 PM   #11

Originally Posted by TraumaOne
I sold my track SV as a no title bill-of sale bike...
How much did u get for it? THe only thing is that it has street fairings on it because I was going to make it for street use untill I found out I was going to havetitle problems.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:37 PM   #12

Originally Posted by Tombstone
There are title services companies from Alabama and I think Arizona? You sell them the bike on paper and they register it in one of these "lax on paperwork states" Then the title co sells it back to you with title.

I have dealt with alot of old scooters that owners lost titles for. You write down the serial numbers and walk into a law agency and run em to see if they are on record. If no record but it and take it to CHP get the serial numbers verified. Fill out forms to get a title and registration. If it is on record you need to get the owner of title to sign a release of interest. Take that form to DMV and fill out papers.

Dont break the law whatever you do. Its not worth it.
I wish I had the money to buy your bike
Can you refer me to these title companies. The only ones I saw were for bikes under 250cc. Can they do everything over phoneand mail? Because I'm not going to arizona for this.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:38 PM   #13

Reputation Power: 18
TraumaOne is just really nice TraumaOne is just really nice TraumaOne is just really nice TraumaOne is just really nice TraumaOne is just really nice
Send a message via Yahoo to TraumaOne

A little over 3k... but it had full suspension work done and was track ready.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:47 PM   #14

Reputation Power: 30
CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of

Bought mine for 2K with a salvage title, stock, including dents in te tank and scrapes on the frame and tail. It's a ton of fun.
Attached Thumbnails
knee at last (Medium).jpg‎  

Last edited by CBRVFR; 09-06-2004 at 10:48 PM.
CBRVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:55 PM   #15

Originally Posted by CBRVFR
Bought mine for 2K with a salvage title, stock, including dents in te tank and scrapes on the frame and tail. It's a ton of fun.

So i figure about 2k then . I could prob get 3k+ if I had a title. I wonder how much I could make parting it out?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Search tags for this page
can you sell a motorcycle frame with a title in florida
companies that sell motorcycle titles
fl motorcycle title errors
getting ohio title on michigan scooter
how can i get a title for a chinese motorcycle
how to apply for a lost scooter title ga
how to get lost motorcycle title alabama
how to register a motorcycle without a title
how to retitle a motorcycle in ohio
motorcycle title company

motorcycle title service

motorcycle title services
Click on a term to search for related topics.