Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

To rent or to buy ?

11K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  stegen 
#1 ·
I just got off the phone with a friend of mine. We talked about JenningsGP, the upcoming 600RR track day, my desire to improve my riding skills via the track, and track biks. He has a 1:17 something lap time at the JenningsGP track, thinks it's the best track in the South East, etc. He also has a 250 GP bike with all the vitamins for sale with spares, for around $5K (one of four that he owns). Not only that but he's willing to rent out his best bike (which he'll prep and tune for any given day) for $400 a day (hoping that's negotiable, but since I don't have a clue, maybe that is a good price ).

So... if I buy a bike (his, or an F3/F4/F4i/600RR), and the necessary support hardware (rent it if need be, such as a trailer, cargo van, whatever), what would be better, rent or own (I'll consider myself lucky to do 4-6 track days a year) ? I figure that after two to three years at best, I'd break even with owning vs. renting (from him, where all I need to do is throw a leg over the bike). Opinions?

#3 ·
stegen : god  damn! $400 a day and he's your friend? find a new one
Are you high, or never ridden a GP bike?  $400 wont cover a clutch, top end, and set of tires which need to be done every 300 miles.  Personaly, I would hate riding someone elses bike on a track.  I wouldnt want to push it at all for fear of wadding it.  If you dont crash, $400 a half a dozen times a year for track days is a steal.

Mike

#5 ·
G-Force Junkie : Quote (stegen @ July 09 2003, 8:04pm)god  damn! $400 a day and he's your friend? find a new one
Are you high, or never ridden a GP bike?  $400 wont cover a clutch, top end, and set of tires which need to be done every 300 miles.  Personaly, I would hate riding someone elses bike on a track.  I wouldnt want to push it at all for fear of wadding it.  If you dont crash, $400 a half a dozen times a year for track days is a steal.

Mike
Oh ok. nevermind then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.