Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Shinko Tires?

17K views 64 replies 19 participants last post by  Snapon11 
#1 ·
Does anyone out there have any knowledge on Shinko tires. As say compared to Michelin Pilot powers. I can't find anything on google that really tells me how they work and the guys at the motorcycle shop have never heard of them.....:idunno:

#6 ·
i may try the 'Tomahawks' ,call me crazy, but i could not find one bad thing about them on the internet -and i looked,and quite a few stunt riding teams use them,and they beat the crap out of their tires ..ebays got the 190/50/17's for like $86 shipped - they are a Pirelli replica tread design, but with deeper tread !

#7 ·
and i looked,and quite a few stunt riding teams use them,and they beat the crap out of their tires
That's because it doesn't take a performance tire to do what they are doing. They use the cheap tires because that's all you need for burnouts and wheelies. If you are going to just trash your tires and don't need any performance out of them then why not use cheap tires. The stunt teams aren't trying to stick to a track at 120mph.

#12 ·
That's because it doesn't take a performance tire to do what they are doing. They use the cheap tires because that's all you need for burnouts and wheelies. If you are going to just trash your tires and don't need any performance out of them then why not use cheap tires. The stunt teams aren't trying to stick to a track at 120mph.
doing a 600 ft. stoppie, i'd think the tires hold up pretty decent enough to trust yourself doing those stunts.Have you ever been to a stunt show ? These guys beat the pure **** out of their back tires ! If you haven't, then you can't talk about it being just 'wheelies and burnouts'....it's far beyond that,i just went to 'stuntoberfest' in october and it's pretty insane the stuff these guys put their tires through.

#14 · (Edited)
Log On then go to 'motorcycle tires' ......also these tires are used quite extensively over in Europe apparently ....i'm not saying anyone else should run out and buy them compared to a Dunlop or Pirelli, because obviously they are not the same.But i may try them for street use...if your going for track use, then yeah, it's probably good to go with a well known superb quality tire, i'm not arguing that fact .

#16 · (Edited)
Does anyone out there have any knowledge on Shinko tires. As say compared to Michelin Pilot powers. I can't find anything on google that really tells me how they work and the guys at the motorcycle shop have never heard of them.....:idunno:
Dam near everyone in Ga and Ala that i know are riding shikos as long as they are dragging their bikes. If the guys at ur local shop has never heard of Shinko tyres, i suggest you go somewhere else.

shinko tires are in no way equal to powers. you cannot get a discount tire and expect it to perform great, last long, handle perdictable in the wet......
Shinko tyres outdo powers if you are dragracing the bike. they are supposedly nowhere equal on the roadcourses. that part i wouldnt know because i have never tried to push a set in any corners. I know that in dallas they are pushing them like crazy, and the guys that are buying them that do like to ride curves are lovin them.

#24 ·
actually slickwill, i'm not defending them ...i think the whole 'retread' thing is what freaks people out as they don't understand the process.And i checked more than their web site, i went through tons of feedback from people who bought these tires on Ebay,and the majority were great replies back, a few people didn't like the tire,but most said it was well worth the money and they handled decent....i'm not trying to compare these straight up to Dunlops or Michelins, etc - can you get that yet ? This is a decent low cost tire for street use mainly, that's what i think...if you guys don't want to use them don't, i'm not urging ANYONE to buy these, merely stating the fact that i may try them out being on a tight budget right now ....you guys are getting all anal about it.....show me ONE single article where these tires failed on someone ! ,anyway , i might get a set of battlax's off fleabay if i can get a good deal on them from the seller..

#27 ·
slick, you and lanbrown are 2 hilarious people...LOL....lanbrown tries to compare a 250 hp moto gp bike running on 2ct's, and your talking about your 'wifes old neon' performance wise,as if you'd buy a neon for racing...that's some funny stuff guys.Anyway Sport Rider DID give an 'unbiased' review of the Tomahawks, which was actually pretty damn good compared to the brand name tires they were up against, just figured i'd let you in on that....i just found a great deal on special a dealer is running on a 190/50/17 Shinko though,that's most likely what i'll be putting on the 929 as the price is damn near comparable to the Tomahawks,and they are brand new...i'll post the quality of the tire , unless lanbrown wants to come and check them out at the local 'poser hangout'.....LMFAO

#29 ·
yeah yeah yeah, what ever, fact is your wife bought the neon as an everday driver, not to take it to the track and race it doing 140...the tire i bought is for the street,if i were to take it to the track i obviously would be considering a more suitable tire - people DO swap tires for street and track riding,you know that....i have a Shinko on the way,just ordered it and it is for street use.I asked the dealer how the feedback was,he said not a single person has complained about them, now he could have tried to sell me a much more expensive tire ! I'll post here about the quality of the tire if anyone else is interested....BTW, Shinko is the former "yokohama" for those that didn't know ...

#32 ·
have almost 1,500 miles on my Shinko Advance rear tire as of now.....these are decent tires guys, those knocking them most likely have NOT used them.. rear holding up pretty damn good , considering i thrash the sh*t out of it,decent in fairly high speed turns....also higher speed rated than the diablo i had previously... obviously i would buy the Pilots over these if they were equally priced, but for those looking for a good street tire, these are great for the money i think...don't know what kinda mileage i'll get out of this tire, but if i get 4k miles out of the rear, i'll buy them again...once again, "Shinko" is formerly Yokohama molds/material for those that don't know ! :thumb:

#33 ·
Either company does so much in the motorcycle racing department.

So what you are saying is that they buy the old designs. This is from their site:
"Established in 1946, the Shinko Group began as a manufacturer of bicycle tires and tubes in Osaka, Japan that today has become a burgeoning manufacture of rubber products.

In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co., and began production of these products under the Shinko Tire brand. With manufacturing based in South Korea and design based in Japan, the company has seamlessly combined Japanese engineering and design principles with South Korean production and quality control standards. Today Shinko Tires produces approximately 200,000 motorcycle tires per month.

In the United States Shinko Tires are imported by Western Power Sports, Inc. (WPS), with corporate headquarters in Boise, Idaho. With a strong foothold on the power sports market, and with warehouses located in Boise, Idaho; Fresno, California; and Memphis, Tennessee, Shinko Tires USA-in conjunction with WPS-is proud to bring you the Shinko line of Sportbike, Cruiser, Scooter, Off road, and Dual sport tires.

On going testing in the USA and R & D at Shinko Tire's factory means a continuous path of exciting tires to meet the need of today's riders. Shinko Tires and WPS are here to serve your needs."

Hmmm, a decade ago. Nothing like a nice piece of 90's technology under you. if the tires are so good and are cheap, why don't the motorcycle manufacturers use them? You would think Hyosung would want to support a fellow South Korean company and use their products on their bikes.

#34 ·
Lanbrown , once again " have you ever used a Shinko tire personally" ? or even ridden a bike with one around the block ? Obviously not....the tires handle quite well actually , and i'm speaking from ACTUAL USE, not hearsay ...not to mention all the other sport bike riders i talk to that use them also.....are they 2ct's ? of course not ...and they may have 'purchased' the tech and molds from yokohama in 1998, but that doesn't state they have not upgraded tread designs and compounds at all !

#39 ·
I don't use inferior equipment. You say they handle quite well, well, well enough is not good enough for me. You even state that they are not on par with what Michelin offers. So why would I want an inferior tire? To me, price is not a factor.
well obviously the guy above asking about them ,is asking because of price ! Some people are on a budget, and like i said , for a "street tire" , they are pretty damn good for the money and quality.... BTW, Michelin had a recall before on their tires, so i guess those tires would have been considered "inferior" right ? If you don't like Shinko, don't use them, plain and simple..but the guy asking probably wants an opinion from someone who is / has actually used them !

#36 ·
All I know is that my buddy Matt, who does a lot of trackdays, took some Shinko Stealths and said the low-side two weeks ago at Buttonwillow was because they didn't really have any decent grip on them...that could be because of the tire, or that could be because of all sorts of other factors, not sure. As for the Tomahawks, I've actually heard from quite a few people that they are actually re-treads, which is why they are so cheap. Never actually seen them though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.