First ride out on my 'new' 93 FireBlade.......... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Review My Ride Show us your motorcycle! Rate & review owners motorcycles, photos, opinions & feedback section.

User Tag List

12Likes
  • 3 Post By Andrew_S
  • 3 Post By jondog9
  • 1 Post By Gunk
  • 1 Post By fj1200rj
  • 2 Post By Gunk
  • 2 Post By Andrew_S

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-04-2016, 1:47 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 3

Garage
First ride out on my 'new' 93 FireBlade..........

Had my first ride out this Sunday afternoon on the FireBlade, the last time I rode a bike was a Honda CBR600R 20 years ago and it showed for a while, and probably will for a while yet!

Started off a bit tentative, not helped by forgetting to peel off the protective visor film from my new helmet - knob!! But soon felt comfortable on it and for some reason I felt more confident taking left hand bends than right, particularly on roundabouts - bizarre? The front end felt overly sensitive and a bit twitchy at slow speeds, probably due to the 16" front rim so will have to get used to that. Although I may consider fitting a 17" from a CBR600, but ideally would like to keep it original.

Out on the road the bike felt superb and whilst I didn't want to get too carried away I did open it up a little bit when it was safe to do so - the power is awesome and is no comparison whatsoever to the bikes I used to ride. The old feeling of freedom came flooding back and took me straight back to the days (mid-70s) when I was living in Brentford, West London and our regular Thursday night blasts along the Embankment to the 59 Club in Hackney!

Why did I leave it so long to swing my leg back over the saddle? - Children, but they have now left the nest!

I've got some work to do to get the damaged fairing repaired over the winter, but that's all that needs doing to an otherwise original unmolested early FireBlade. But until I start stripping the fairing off I'll be out on it whenever I can.

My wife will no doubt become a 'FireBlade widow', not literally I hope!!

Cheers
Andrew

Attached Thumbnails
media (3).jpg‎  
unslow1, IanDoohan and Gunk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-04-2016, 3:32 PM
Greenie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 181

Re: First ride out on my 'new' 93 FireBlade..........

Good post.
Might I suggest to service your forks as soon as possible. At the very least, change fork oil, and if you can afford it, get the proper springs for your weight. I'll bet your front will feel better.
IanDoohan, Gunk and spagiratwink like this.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-04-2016, 5:25 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Good post.
Might I suggest to service your forks as soon as possible. At the very least, change fork oil, and if you can afford it, get the proper springs for your weight. I'll bet your front will feel better.
Thank you - that's very useful advice, so another job on the list for the winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-04-2016, 5:46 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Garage

Some good advice already posted, first thing I'd check would be the age of the tyres, new rubber makes a world of difference.
spagiratwink likes this.

1994 Urban Tiger Project

"Endless motorbike talk can and does bore me" - Barry Sheene
post #5 of 11 Old 10-04-2016, 6:41 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 117

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
Some good advice already posted, first thing I'd check would be the age of the tyres, new rubber makes a world of difference.
Sound advice

Tech Tips: How To Read Motorcycle Tire Date Codes - Chaparral Motorsports
spagiratwink likes this.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #6 of 11 Old 10-05-2016, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage

Thanks for the tyre advice - tyre age was on my buying check-list.

It's wearing Metzeler Sportec M3 130/70 and 180/55 ((36/42 psi with approx 4mm tread) and they were manufactured during August 2013 - I know currently know very little about bike tyres, so are these decent tyres?
post #7 of 11 Old 10-05-2016, 3:09 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

They're fine, I'd keep them on for the time being. The 17" front wheel conversion is worth considering stops the turn in being quite so severe and widens your choice of tyres
post #8 of 11 Old 10-05-2016, 3:17 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage

Quote:
They're fine, I'd keep them on for the time being. The 17" front wheel conversion is worth considering stops the turn in being quite so severe and widens your choice of tyres
Thanks - is there any particular year of CBR600/VFR front rim I should be looking for and what other conversion parts are required - are the FireBlade's discs transferable?

I'm guessing the increased rolling radius of the 17" rim will throw out the speedo reading/calibration - how is that overcome?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but I'm getting back in the saddle in more ways than on.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-05-2016, 4:28 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

Ian Doonhan is the 17" conversion expert. If you do a search on the forum there is a detailed thread all about.
IanDoohan and Andrew_S like this.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-28-2016, 8:25 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_S View Post
........................Why did I leave it so long to swing my leg back over the saddle? - Children, but they have now left the nest!
Bloody hell, me and my big mouth!!!

My eldest son turned up on our doorstep on Wednesday night having permanently split-up from his girlfriend of 6 years - yet another car to move from outside the garage to get the bike out.

Still, the Winter months are almost upon us (in the UK) so maybe he'll be sorted with his own flat and new female company by the Spring....................
Gunk and spagiratwink like this.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-28-2016, 8:27 PM
Greenie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 181

Quote:
Can't you just raise push the forks a couple mm's lower into the clamps to help with that?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Review My Ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page