Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage » Lee Parks Deerskin / Elkskin gloves... Any good?

Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2004, 4:50 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 30
CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of
Lee Parks Deerskin / Elkskin gloves... Any good?

He makes some bold claims in the "4 big secrets glove makers don't want you to know" section. I'm interested to hear what experience people have had with this glove, especially for trackday riding.

Lee Parks Gloves

Last edited by CBRVFR; 01-13-2004 at 4:52 PM.
CBRVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-13-2004, 5:59 PM   #2

Reputation Power: 34
abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of
Re: Lee Parks Deerskin / Elkskin gloves... Any good?

Originally Posted by CBRVFR
He makes some bold claims in the "4 big secrets glove makers don't want you to know" section. I'm interested to hear what experience people have had with this glove, especially for trackday riding.

Lee Parks Gloves
Some of that is very true. Kevlar thread may be abrasion resistant, but it is like .0010 wire when it starts to unravel. I would like to see some kevlar fabric in the abrasion areas (palm, knuckles, wristbone etc.), but all in all these look like nice gloves . . .
Old 01-14-2004, 12:53 AM   #3

Reputation Power: 13
Joel is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine has a pair - he really likes them. I think I'll give them a try when my Helds wear out.
Iron Butt Association #313244
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:25 AM   #4

CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of

Thanks for that input- My current gloves with the raised kevlar knuckles LOOK more protective, but they have a lot more seams.

Of course if protective looking gloves actually worked, we'd all have these Ikon medieval gauntlets. They look like they would come in handy in a dispute with a cage driver though.........
Attached Thumbnails
icon gloves.jpg‎  

Last edited by CBRVFR; 01-14-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:23 AM   #5

Reputation Power: 45
ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future

They definitely have the bling value, however, I'd be afraid of scratching up my paint with my clumsy hands

Originally Posted by CBRVFR
Thanks for that input- My current gloves with the raised kevlar knuckles LOOK more protective, but they have a lot more seams.

Of course if protective looking gloves actually worked, we'd all have these Ikon medieval gauntlets. They look like they would come in handy in a dispute with a cage driver though.........
Old 01-14-2004, 11:57 AM   #6

Reputation Power: 15
HondaGal will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to HondaGal

Where's the armor?? No hard protection anywhere. I'd wear them for gardening, though.
HondaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 1:32 PM   #7

Originally Posted by HondaGal
Where's the armor?? No hard protection anywhere. I'd wear them for gardening, though.

That's the question.. On the other hand, ( no pun intended)which is the more serious injury; broken bones, or shredding all the skin - muscle- tendons off your hand?

Parks website says that the kevlar knuckle bubble can shatter and be driven into your hand - and I'm not sure that any glove out there will stop a bone from breaking.. Anyone know more?

I don't remember whether Held gloves have armor either?? I thought they were regarded as premium wear..
Old 01-14-2004, 1:38 PM   #8

Reputation Power: 45
ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future ND4SPD has a brilliant future

Somehow I have a hard time believing that those carbon knuckles can shatter that easy. Every single one I've owned(and I've owned a few), the carbon has been fairly flexible. If it was totally rock solid and not flex a bit, then I can see it shattering.
Old 01-14-2004, 2:20 PM   #9

Reputation Power: 15
HondaGal will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to HondaGal

Originally Posted by ND4SPD
Somehow I have a hard time believing that those carbon knuckles can shatter that easy. Every single one I've owned(and I've owned a few), the carbon has been fairly flexible. If it was totally rock solid and not flex a bit, then I can see it shattering.
When I had my track incident in '02, I was wearing Held's Galaxy glove, it had a CF knuckle protector. Glad it was there. One of the knuckles was smashed, obviously from substantial impact with either the ground or bike...I don't remember which...but there was no shattering or any part of the CF pertruding through the inside lining of the glove. By the looks of it, if I didn't have that protection, it wouldn't have been a pretty sight.
HondaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 2:55 PM   #10

Reputation Power: 26
HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold

I think armor in gloves is a good thing. I don't know about other brands, but Held layers leather underneath theirs so I think shreds of it going through to your skin would be highly unlikely. I remember Held saying something specific about their design with regards to the armor, but I forget the specifics. I also seem to recall hearing that deerskin is the least abrasion resistant of all leathers. If it's so much better than cowhide at being abrasion resistant, how come you don't see any suits made out of it? Cost? What kind of deer are we talking about here? White tail? They're in abundance, so what would make it more costly? I see his point about the kevlar stitching and can agree with that. From what I understand, the most abrasion resistant leather is kangaroo, like Held uses, because the pore structure is tighter.

P.S. Two models of Held use armor that I know of: The Galaxy and the Akira.

Last edited by HondaGalToo; 01-14-2004 at 2:56 PM.
HondaGalToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 4:00 PM   #11

Reputation Power: 13
TroyBoy is on a distinguished road

I don't know too much about it all, but it is funny that every racer you see, no matter what the series has hard knuckle gloves? You would think if they were so unsafe that these guys who crash on a regular basis, definately wouldn't use them?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Search tags for this page
deerskin gloves compared to elkskin gloves motorcycle gloves
deerskin vs elkskin
deerskin vs elkskin leather
elk skin gloves

elkskin motorcycle gloves

elkskin vs deerskin

icon gloves

lee parks deerskin gloves review
lee parks glove review

lee parks gloves

lee parks gloves review

lee parks gloves reviews

Click on a term to search for related topics.