Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur » Want to get started in Ameteur racing. need advice/help.

Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2004, 6:07 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 13
redwhite929rr is on a distinguished road
Want to get started in Ameteur racing. need advice/help.

Hello Ladies and Gentleman,

This has been my dream ever since i was a kid. Now I'm finally in a good finicial situation to do it. I can spend about $3500 on a race bike.

Race bike: What do I go for? Of course I'm in favor of a Honda. Probably 600's. Is the 600 class a good place to start?

What about racing clubs. I've heard of CCS, but I know there is another I can't think of that is popular. I'm in Chicago.

What are some of the typical costs in racing. Tires of corse, membership fees. Anything else?

I'd love to hear opinions of the most qualified group of motorcycle people I've ever come across.

Thank you!
Paul
redwhite929rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-04-2004, 6:16 PM   #2

Reputation Power: 40
luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of
Re: Want to get started in Ameteur racing. need advice/help.

If the thought of piling up all the money you have, some you don't, pouring gasoline on it and throwing a match doesn't bother you, you're ready to go racing.

Costs:

Race Entry fees. This will be per race. $100-$200 weekend.

Tires. I went throw a set per race weekend, or if i stretched it, a weekend and a trackday. Tires are $350-400

You will need practice so factor in as a minimum of one trackday a month.

Gas for your truck to and from the track.

Gas in the bike.

Possibly hotel fees.

Maintanance, brake pads, fluid, oil, filters, hell cans of brake cleaner go away rapidly.

I typically spent at least $1000 month during the season.

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
luvtolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 6:27 PM   #3

Reputation Power: 12
roadracer319 is on a distinguished road

You can get rolling for $3500.00, easy. My first bike set me back $2200.00. It was a 92 F2 with F3 parts, I bought it ready to race(bodywork, fox shock, etc.) After you pick-up a bike, you will need to attend a license school.($150.00) Then buy your license (around a $100.00 for the year) Assuming you have leathers, helmet, gloves and boots, all you need now is a fresh set of tires ($300-350) and to pay your entry fees.($100-$200 for the weekend) Keep in mind, that's not including Friday practice(another $100.00) That should cover the basics.
CCS #319 The track looks wet.... This is going leave a mark.....
roadracer319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 6:34 PM   #4

Reputation Power: 34
abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of

Add to that the price of decent oil, the 2 thousand little things you will need (new windscreen, the latest pipe, chains and sprockets (different tracks require different gearing), jets or a PC etc.) along with the inevitable crash repair (ranging from an exhaust can and a brake lever all the way to radiators, bodywork, engine cases, helmet, leathers, gloves etc.) and you get an idea of what "Club" racing is all about.

Oh, I almost forgot: do it for more than a season or two and by the time you are 40 years old it will take you 5 minutes longer to stand up straight, get out of bed, stop limping or get out of a chair. Do it for more than 5 seasons and don't look too closely in the mirror while you're shaving, or you'll have to look at the crisscross scars from the multiple surgeries on your collarbone and the split in your teeth from a long forgotten highside. You probably won't want to spend much time doing anything that requires precise eye hand coordination since the 12th 120 mph getoff severed a bundle of nerves in your neck and your body can't quite remember the pathway to your index and middle fingers anymore . . .

Now, factor in the price of the most incredible experiences you may ever have (short of the birth of your child) and racing is basically priceless.
Old 03-04-2004, 6:37 PM   #5
dB

Reputation Power: 15
dB will become famous soon enough dB will become famous soon enough

Not sure about where you live, but here the 600 class is a pretty tough place to start. Huge grids, lots of testosterone, and not always the skill to go with it. Consider a lightweight twins class, or maybe even a larger displacement class that isn't as crowded.

One of the best things you can do is start attending club races. Walk around the pits and talk to people. You'll be surprised how friendly and helpful they can be.
dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 7:02 PM   #6

Reputation Power: 12
symonjester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to symonjester

Does someone have a link? I'm looking to put my machine on the track for the first time this year (hopefully later this month if possible). Tracks? Clubs? etc...? Thanks
symonjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 7:25 PM   #7
dB

Reputation Power: 15
dB will become famous soon enough dB will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by symonjester
Does someone have a link? I'm looking to put my machine on the track for the first time this year (hopefully later this month if possible). Tracks? Clubs? etc...? Thanks
The local club is AFM
Check out the "get started racing" link at the bottom.
dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 9:39 PM   #8

Reputation Power: 20
G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by abtech
Oh, I almost forgot: do it for more than a season or two and by the time you are 40 years old it will take you 5 minutes longer to stand up straight, get out of bed, stop limping or get out of a chair. Do it for more than 5 seasons and don't look too closely in the mirror while you're shaving, or you'll have to look at the crisscross scars from the multiple surgeries on your collarbone and the split in your teeth from a long forgotten highside.
Man, Im not even 30 yet and only 3rd season and all that applys!
G-Force Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:20 PM   #9

Reputation Power: 20
G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough

Answering your questions... Its going to depend alot on the bike you plan on running. 600 and up the previous posts pretty much covered it. An option is a smaller bike like a 125. Slicks are $250 a set and you can go 2-3 race weekends on a set. They crash well, pretty cheap to repair, and easy to work on. But you got to be mechanicaly inclined and like working in bikes as your pulling the clutch apart every month, and new top ends every 300 miles. Assuming you already have gear, truck, trailer, etc You can do it for probaly $300-400 a month.

Mike
G-Force Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:22 PM   #10

Reputation Power: 14
929flyer is on a distinguished road

For the midwest area the best race org. is CCS. You can find the schedule, rulebook and newbie info at www.ccsracing.com.

They'll have races at Road America, over at Blackhawk in Rockford, down here by Omaha at Mid-America Motorplex, St. Louis Gateway, Heartland Park in Topeka, KS. Plus you'll see races towards the east as well.

For the amount your looking to spend you can find an older 600. Probably not the latest trick 03' R6. But an older R6, F4/F3 or GSXR600 (go for fuel injected). It'll be more about what you can do with the bike than how fast the bike "CAN" be.

The SV650 route is a great way to get going. Does have smaller grids around here and makes you learn to be faster with less HP. It's kinda the 'NEW' small two-stroke learn to race machine. With usually less maintenance. A 2-stroke guy has to like the wrenching. I've seen SV race bikes down in Florida for $2500-$3000. Up in our neck of the woods they seem to go for $3500 on up. Now that's just what I've seen, but I haven't been intently looking for one. Nice thing compared to the 600 is that it will MOST likely be easier to sell if you want to move on to a bigger machine next year. The 'older' 600 you would buy just got 'older yet' when you go to sell it next year.

If you buy a stock SV650 you'll still spend $3000, or more, most likely and have quite a bit of dough to put into race prepping. Better to look for an all ready to go race SV. Only cheaper SV would be a wrecked one that opens up to a host of potential problems that you might not want to chew off.

If you have more questions just e-mail TIGERBLADE..... Or me if you need to.
Old 03-05-2004, 9:14 AM   #11

Reputation Power: 26
tigerblade is a splendid one to behold tigerblade is a splendid one to behold tigerblade is a splendid one to behold tigerblade is a splendid one to behold tigerblade is a splendid one to behold tigerblade is a splendid one to behold tigerblade is a splendid one to behold

There are a lot of great people in your area racing CCS. It wouldn't be a bad idea to just come out for a weekend and talk to everyone so you can get a sense of what you really want to do.

Also start asking questions here . The board is mostly frequented by racers in the Midwest/Great Lakes/Great Plains regions. There are a lot of people who can help.

My e-mail is kyounger@shelterinsurance.com if you want to ask anything without posting it for public scrutiny.

Good luck and hope to see you at the track!
Old 03-05-2004, 9:56 AM   #12

Reputation Power: 19
ccwilli3 has a spectacular aura about ccwilli3 has a spectacular aura about ccwilli3 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to ccwilli3 Send a message via Yahoo to ccwilli3

Originally Posted by tigerblade
There are a lot of great people in your area racing CCS. It wouldn't be a bad idea to just come out for a weekend and talk to everyone so you can get a sense of what you really want to do.

Also start asking questions here . The board is mostly frequented by racers in the Midwest/Great Lakes/Great Plains regions. There are a lot of people who can help.

My e-mail is kyounger@shelterinsurance.com if you want to ask anything without posting it for public scrutiny.

Good luck and hope to see you at the track!
Careful, this guy will try to lure you into his "lair"...
Old 03-05-2004, 10:16 AM   #13

Reputation Power: 24
RRWANTR is a splendid one to behold RRWANTR is a splendid one to behold RRWANTR is a splendid one to behold RRWANTR is a splendid one to behold RRWANTR is a splendid one to behold RRWANTR is a splendid one to behold RRWANTR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by symonjester
Here's the WSMC web site. They race at Willow Springs. If you look for a post in the racers forum, I just passed new racer school and had my first race last month. Can't wait for the next one in 2 weeks. It's a blast!
Old 03-05-2004, 11:30 AM   #14

Reputation Power: 26
tigerblade is a splendid one to behold tigerblade is a splendid one to behold tigerblade is a splendid one to behold tigerblade is a splendid one to behold tigerblade is a splendid one to behold tigerblade is a splendid one to behold tigerblade is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ccwilli3
Careful, this guy will try to lure you into his "lair"...
Do you or Mike have any complaints? No, I thought not. Now shut it.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:59 AM   #15

Reputation Power: 13
redwhite929rr is on a distinguished road

Thank for the replies everyone!

Abtech: Your crazy man! But your right in a way. Racing is in my blood. I'd rather take chances in life, than sitting around wishing I did.

Tigerblade: Thank you for your email. I'll be using it.

Everyone else: Thank you!

I'm going to do some more research, and post back if I have any more questions.
redwhite929rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Search tags for this page
amateur motorcycle racing
ameteur racing
ametuer motorcycle racing
ameture motorcycle racing
amiture motocross wage
getting started in motorcycle racing
getting started in motorcycle racing fireblades
getting started in motorcycle road racing
how to get started in motorcycle racing
how to start motorcycle racing in usa

how to start racing motorcycles

i want to race motorcycles
Click on a term to search for related topics.