Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

How to Convert a Hnda CBR125R

4K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Kiwi1999 
#1 · (Edited)
^^ Honda* ^^

I want to start road racing soon but I don't have a bike, im under 16 so I cant race anything bigger then a 150.
Ive been looking at the Honda CBR125R/150R first of all, is this a good bike to start racing with? Im 5 foot 3 so I it shouldn't be to big for me.
im thinking of getting a normal road bike then converting it to a race bike, how do I do this? and around how much would it cost?
thankyou :idunno: :)

#2 ·
^^ Honda* ^^

I want to start road racing soon but I don't have a bike, im under 16 so I cant race anything bigger then a 150.
Ive been looking at the Honda CBR125R/150R first of all, is this a good bike to start racing with? Im 5 foot 3 so I it shouldn't be to big for me.
im thinking of getting a normal road bike then converting it to a race bike, how do I do this? and around how much would it cost?
thankyou :idunno: :)

I think the 150R is what the kids are racing over here.
Yes, all club level race bikes are road bikes first.
Racing doesn't require a great deal of modification. It's really just a matter of removing all the road gear and complying with the requirements of the class you intend to race. All fluid caps and plugs need to be lock-wired. So do the caliper mounting bolts. Personally, I lock-wire anything that will make life too exciting for me if it comes loose :)
You need a sealed bellypan that is supposed catch any oil or water from an engine failure (but it never does). You also need a guard to prevent getting body parts in between the lower chain and the sprocket. And you need engine crash protectors to prevent the engine covers breaking in a crash.
It's best to download the regulations yourself.
http://ma.org.au/fileadmin/user_upl...s/2013_MOMS_VERSION_2/2013_MOMS_29JAN_WEB.pdf
Chapter 15.19 addresses Junior Roadracing.

#4 ·
Are you closer to Mallala or MacPark?
One of the racing clubs should be able to help you out.
I think over here we have a team that has a bunch of bikes that they lease to the juniors for the season, there might be something similar over in SA.
Do you have any riding experience at all?

#6 ·
Okay, I personally prefer MacPark and would highly recommend riding there if you ever have the opportunity :)
When I was over there a guy called Ron Cashman was extremely helpful but I'd have to check if he's still involved with the club.

Actually, MA is the place to start.
Motorcycling Australia: Home
And get onto these people.
Motorcycling South Australia

I would also suggest getting a dirtbike if you can just so you can get the riding part of it out of the way, then you can concentrate on the racing part when you're on the track. You'd be safer on the track if you already have the basic feel of riding in hand first in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.