Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

So, what about 2017?

5K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  jondog9 
#1 ·
MotoGP
Gonna stick my neck out and say that Vinales is going to upset the old order. Unless he starts crashing like they all seem to once they get a whiff of success. Think Rossi is no longer up for it, although he continually surprises me, just when I think it's all over he finds some new source of motiivation. Like a new team mate.

Road Racing
I've a feeling that Suzuki are going to have a good year in road racing. dunno if Dunlop will actually get on the Suzuki for the TT (remember the farce with Milwaukee Yamaha?) but this year will be a close thing between him and Hutchy. McGuinness and Martin on the new Fireblade? Mwah.

#2 ·
I seem to have this thread all to myself. Not really surprised that no-one from the US is interested in MotoGP (since Hayden departed) so I can pretty much say what I want.
:bowtome:

But seriously, Vinales did the job as expected at Losail (Where? Qatar. Where? In the Persian Gulf. Where? Africa. Where? Oh, drill right through the earth from Sao Paolo and you'll come out at Losail more or less.), and to my utter astonishment Rossi managed to pull a 3rd out of the bag. Did not see that coming. Seems the Honda boys are still struggling with the front end.
But it's very early days, I hope in a way that Vinales doesn't run away with it, I want another season like 2015!

#5 ·
I seem to have this thread all to myself. Not really surprised that no-one from the US is interested in MotoGP (since Hayden departed)
pffft. :rolleyes:

LUVZ me some MotoGP, but my TV service provider doesn't offer a channel that covers it. :crap: Noway. Nohow. All I can "enjoy" is friggin' Canadian MX and trials from time-to-time.

:lame:

#3 ·
When he was in MotoGP I was no fan of his. He did great elsewhere but MotoGP is not where he should have been. How many riders are on a top tier team but can only manage three wins in a long career? Did his luck change by going to Ducati? I think if it was anyone else, they would have been gone long ago. He was good for the marketing division, less so for the racing division.

As for the current season. It is still early.

#6 ·
You can buy a streaming subscription directly from the motogp site. It's not exactly the cheapest thing but I split the cost with a buddy who lives out of state and we can both stream the races live at the same time. Once the cost was split it was cheaper than adding the sport package I needed to get the right channel.

#7 ·
The only internet provider in my area does not offer an unlimited nor reasonably priced "high" data plan, so our data usage (for sake of being affordable) is quite limited. Which is why MotoGP races, as with other streamed entertainment, are not enjoyed in our home.

but thanks :cheers:

#14 ·
The only internet provider in my area does not offer an unlimited nor reasonably priced "high" data plan, so our data usage (for sake of being affordable) is quite limited. Which is why MotoGP races, as with other streamed entertainment, are not enjoyed in our home.

but thanks :cheers:
Geez, what part of the sticks are you in man? Thought about satellite internet? Sure beats the alternative.

#9 ·
When I was hard core into bikes in my 20's The 500cc GP class was on my TV every race. I would follow the series for years, just about up to the time Rossi began on one of the last 500's. In 99 I sold my bike, and Mick, Kevin, Wayne, Eddie, Randy, John, etc were all but done, and there went the passion to watch.

Cut to 2013, I acquire another 93 900RR and the spark re-ignites. Being a Honda guy I love to watch the Honda's win, but being honest I don't care for Marquez or Pedrosa. I've always loved the sound of Honda's V-4, and can't seem to root for any other manufacturer.

However, with the shake up in riders for this year, I've gotten yet again a renewed interest in the series.

I would like to see guys like Vinalles, Ianonne, Petriucci, Dovizioso, Miller, the Espargaro brothers..........basically anyone except the regulars win. The first race was very entertaining. Bring it on!

#13 · (Edited)
OB, some of us in the U.S. are very interested in Moto GP, even if we're not represented. I don't "root" for someone just because they're "Merican, if that was the case I'd just watch NASCAR, lol (I do sometimes, but only for the intentional wrecks, ensuing fights, and to see what lap Danica will crash out on and who she will blame) I love almost all motorsports, but Moto GP is the only one left that I won't allow myself to miss a race. I have all the races and qualifying set to record. Thank you BeIn Sports, now if they would just kill soccer, LOL. I've been telling my friends that once he got on a capable bike/team Maverick would mix it up with anyone out there. I can't wait to see how the rest of the season plays out...

#20 ·
Argentina MotoGP

Vinales and Rossi did exactly what we expected of them. Marquez too. It's clear the factory Hondas have a serious and long-running problem with the front end, it's unusual to see Pedrosa throw it away like that, but I think judging from his body language in the pit afterwards, he was completely surprised by it. So it says a lot about Tech3 that Crutchlow was able to bring his honda in for 3rd. Nice to see Bautista getting some success on the ducati, too. If it carries on like this, I predict a runaway by Vinales. Which will be a pity. what I really want is for Honda to sort out their troubles, and get some battles between Marquez and the 2 Yams!

#21 ·
Re: Argentina MotoGP

Vinales and Rossi did exactly what we expected of them. Marquez too. It's clear the factory Hondas have a serious and long-running problem with the front end, it's unusual to see Pedrosa throw it away like that, but I think judging from his body language in the pit afterwards, he was completely surprised by it. So it says a lot about Tech3 that Crutchlow was able to bring his honda in for 3rd. Nice to see Bautista getting some success on the ducati, too. If it carries on like this, I predict a runaway by Vinales. Which will be a pity. what I really want is for Honda to sort out their troubles, and get some battles between Marquez and the 2 Yams!
Agreed!

#22 ·
Really enjoyed yesterday's Moto GP race from Jerez. Being careful not to give anything away for those who haven't watched it yet. Zarco made the first half fun to watch, should be fun to see how the home crowd receives him in 2 weeks, hope he gets a podium, better yet, a win?! hey, it doesn't hurt to dream, right? Wish I had seen a better view of what happened between Miller and Bautista. A roasted front tire just made the championship race interesting!

Reactions: IanDoohan
#23 · (Edited)
This thread has been dormant a while. Am I the only one following this season? Ya'll are missing some great racing, Dovi is making it real interesting. Does anyone else think Rossi should save his dirt bike "training" for the off season? That's 2 injuries now, and this one took him out of the championship run for sure, seems a little irresponsible to me. We all know one can step off the curb and be creamed bu a truck at any moment, but as a professional, one who is extremely highly compensated, he owe's it to his team and sponsors to avoid "high risk" activities during the season. :idunno: Just my opinion, but breaking your leg on a dirtbike in the middle of the Moto GP season while in the championship hunt just seams like a bone head move to me, and I'm a fan.

As far as Old Bastard's OP, that " Vinales is going to upset the old order", I agreed at the time and still do. With 5 races to go he's right there, 16 points behind and ready to strike. If Marquez and Dovi take each other out, which came close to happening on the final corner in Austria, Maverick will take over the lead. Can't wait to see the final 5 races.

#24 ·
Yes, looks like a very amateur thing for VR to do. Sign of ageing? So he's out. Dovi deserves it, he's been playing cinderella for years. Would love him to clinch it at Valencia, in the face of the spanish crowd. On a ducati. But as you say, its all still up for grabs. I can't remember if yams do well at the remaining tracks except philip island, they went well there before but nothing is staying the same.....lucky for us!

#32 ·
I'm rooting for Dovi and Ducati at this point. I don't care for Dovi that much, I once heard him dis all over tracks in the US. But his talent and rock solid confidence in his bike and ability are impressive! I loved his reaction to MM93 after that stunt in the last turn on the last lap at Brno. And his late/trail braking probably matches Marquez' best. If you brake any later than Dovi, you're skittling down the road, or at least running wide.

Yamaha is having issues with grip and wear this later half of the season. Hopefully Vinales gets that sorted.
Did you see Piro ride for Rossi? WoW!

Oh, and the look on MM93's face as he listened to the Spanish Anthem in San Marino: Priceless! Amid the boo's and disappointment of some fans, he was the happiest Spaniard in all of Italy. It looked like he would burst out in uncontrollable laughter at any moment, but he played it cool. Good stuff. He's maturing. :rotfl:

Poor AI29. That Suckzuki isn't worthy of a rider like him. How is it that Vinales could ride the wheels off it, but Ianonne is struggling so badly? :idunno:

Pedrosa in the wet: can't get heat into his tires. Cant they just strap an anvil on his bike, give him a little more weight? :D

Zarco, a seemingly super intelligent rider, but as I predicted earlier, he's hit and miss. Like Crutchlow. They haven't reached Master Alien status yet, still journeymen.

Last and leastly, Lorenzo. E.T. phone home, 'cause you've lost something... :angel:devil

#28 · (Edited)
Yea, I know< but still don't think taking chances on the dirt is "professional" at the MotoGP level. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that other riders had clauses in their contracts for certain things as other professional althletes do.
Freudian slip? I think you meant "clinch", LOL. "Clench" is what he did on the last corner in Austria! Of course not, I only said Dovi was making it interesting, Marquez is the last guy I'd want to be tied with.

I'm gonna miss Rossi rubbing elbows with those kids. 38 years old and just as competitive as the top 2 guys.

I'm gonna throw this out there and say technology has helped him stay competitive. I'm no GP rider (of course), but I feel the electronics, etc had taken so much out of what the rider needs to do to operate the bike.

I would like to see one of these guys toss a leg over ROC or Harris Yamaha 500 and see how it goes at Full Chat.

I know this, not having to think about shifting at my first track day made it a hell of a lot easier to concentrate on other things I did horribly wrong. I thought about it afterwards too, probably would have been a bit of overload for me to be honest. The track in NH was great, roll on throttle, roll off throttle. Brakes, although stellar in operation and feel, barely got a squeeze.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching the races, and I'm a fan of MotoGP, but it's lost a bit of its edge knowing Fuel consumption can be changed/adjusted on the fly, engine braking can be managed electronically, you don't need to clutch to upshift, downshift, quickshifters, FI, traction control, launch control, no Big Bang/Screamer engines hahahahahaha. Sorry, I skewed the line a bit. Anyway, looking forward to seeing how it ends this year.
If we didn't have modern electronics, Rossi wouldn't be racing at 38 he'd be too badly broken up.
Agreed, the 500 days were so awesome! The mold was destroyed after casting guys like Kenny, Freddie, Eddie, Wayne, Mick and Kevin (only 1 title, but my favorite, watching that Suzuki flex never got old). Technology has definitely helped his career continue, but given that everyone has that advantage, I still respect his ability to "get it done" at 38. Only time will tell if today's breed of youngsters will still be "getting it done" at 38 or even into their 30's, with the increasing influx of young hungry, kids they'll have to deal with.

#26 ·
I'm gonna miss Rossi rubbing elbows with those kids. 38 years old and just as competitive as the top 2 guys.

I'm gonna throw this out there and say technology has helped him stay competitive. I'm no GP rider (of course), but I feel the electronics, etc had taken so much out of what the rider needs to do to operate the bike.

I would like to see one of these guys toss a leg over ROC or Harris Yamaha 500 and see how it goes at Full Chat.

I know this, not having to think about shifting at my first track day made it a hell of a lot easier to concentrate on other things I did horribly wrong. I thought about it afterwards too, probably would have been a bit of overload for me to be honest. The track in NH was great, roll on throttle, roll off throttle. Brakes, although stellar in operation and feel, barely got a squeeze.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching the races, and I'm a fan of MotoGP, but it's lost a bit of its edge knowing Fuel consumption can be changed/adjusted on the fly, engine braking can be managed electronically, you don't need to clutch to upshift, downshift, quickshifters, FI, traction control, launch control, no Big Bang/Screamer engines hahahahahaha. Sorry, I skewed the line a bit. Anyway, looking forward to seeing how it ends this year.

#29 ·
I know this, not having to think about shifting at my first track day made it a hell of a lot easier to concentrate on other things I did horribly wrong.
Kept her in second the whole time huh. :poke: JK, I would probably have "clenched" the whole time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.