best ways to keep a bike from being stolen? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Stolen Motorcycles Post details of your stolen Motorcycle here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 Old 06-21-2008, 1:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

best ways to keep a bike from being stolen?

I see these bikes on here and it makes me sick... but what can we really do? It seems like if someone wants your bike they'll get it.. what I would like to know is what measures do you guys do to keep it from being stolen (chain, alarm, lojack, etc...) and to the ones unfortunate to have had your bikes stolen what was the situation.

the reason I'm asking is I travel a lot and an alarm won't do much for me being gone and lojack probably won't do much if I reported it a few days possibly weeks later... I keep my bike chained to a pole at home in my carport but since the guy at Home Depot cut that chain fairly quickly I'm thinking someone could do they same with a similar tool...

also when I'm on rides and have to keep my bike at hotels or other places where I can't keep my eye on it what would be the best thing to do..

I guess what I'm looking for is ideas to improve my chances of keeping my bike as I can't really afford full coverage on it right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 06-21-2008, 4:12 AM

Reputation Power: 142

Send a message via MSN to LoopyLee Send a message via Skype™ to LoopyLee
Re: best ways to keep a bike from being stolen?

There are alarm systems out there which will alert you from up to 3 miles, via a key fob, if anyone is fiddling with/trying to nick your bike.. I know thats not gonna help much if you are over the 3 miles but if you are within the distance you will know..

I have full comprehensive insurance on my bike, I presume thats full coverage in the states, so that if anyone nicks her I will get a new one.. I know it costs more to do this but at the end of the day she is fully insured as I couldnt afford to go and buy another one straight off if she was stolen..
post #3 of 81 Old 06-21-2008, 5:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Hmmmm. Maybe the only practical solution is to get a bike that nobody wants to steal, kind of like a K-car. What kind of bike would that be?

I would have to figure that a '99 900 RR would not be so popular with thieves. At least I am hoping it would not be!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 Old 06-21-2008, 6:01 AM

Send a message via MSN to submarine

GPS/GPRS tracker that you monitor regularly with wireless internet. You can also set them in 'parking' mode where it will alert you via MMS if the bike is moved.
WorldTracker GPRS Extreme|gps|

Doubles as a wife infidelity tracker if ya need it!
post #5 of 81 Old 06-21-2008, 6:19 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Good insurance cover is the way to go. If they want it they will get it so you need decent insurance on bikes IMO. Do all the other stuff, disc locks, alarms, big hairy barking dogs, chains, padlocks. Make it hard for theives and don't serve up an easy opportunity.
post #6 of 81 Old 06-21-2008, 6:50 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Smith and Wesson....................
post #7 of 81 Old 06-21-2008, 8:16 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Send a message via Yahoo to sscottab

move to a place with less crime . I keep my bike in the garage but that is only to keep it out of the weather. there is very low crime here, hell i dont even know if my house keys work and when at work ill leave the keys in the ing on my truck, I dont leave the keys in the bike. when you are out and you park you bike look for a nicer bike and park next to it

when you are on a honda you are on the best
2002 CBR954RR
scott
www.itriderz.com
post #8 of 81 Old 06-26-2008, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbzorro View Post
Hmmmm. Maybe the only practical solution is to get a bike that nobody wants to steal, kind of like a K-car. What kind of bike would that be?

I would have to figure that a '99 900 RR would not be so popular with thieves. At least I am hoping it would not be!

I would suggest a Honda CX500 .. Ugly yet reliable
post #9 of 81 Old 06-26-2008, 4:22 AM

Reputation Power: 10

Any Yamaha
post #10 of 81 Old 06-26-2008, 6:19 AM

Reputation Power: 11

the best way? Well the BEST way is to put it next to an angry rottweiler or pit bull.

Failing that, keep it garaged, park it in well lighted, nice places, preferably with cameras around....

However anyone that is determined enough WILL get the bike. Insurance, and if its upside down, gap insurance.

...but if you get to use the smith and wesson, I certainly would shed no tear for a thief. Only good thief is a dead thief.
post #11 of 81 Old 06-26-2008, 6:20 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Chain or cable your bike as usual- this will draw the crook's attention. Meanwhile, get a length of 20 lb. test fishing line with a small clasp-like on the end of a dog leash- and hook it to your bike down low. Connect the other end of the line to a pile of empty juice cans up on a shelf or through a series of pulleys to a bell in your bedroom. They'll never see the fishing line and when those cans come crashing down you won't see their ass for smoke.
A bit tongue-in-cheek but what a cheap alarm eh?
post #12 of 81 Old 06-26-2008, 6:35 AM

Reputation Power: 56

Buy a Gixxer - No one would touch it (death-trap on wheels) ........ jk.

On a more serious note, if they want your bike, they will get it. Alarms, chains and what ever else you will put on there will just slow them down and also make a lot of noise thus alarming the owner etc.

Full coverage insurance is the way to do like Loopy said, although its expensive its a life saver.

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #13 of 81 Old 06-27-2008, 2:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to submarine

Yeah but no reason to make it easy for them.
post #14 of 81 Old 06-27-2008, 3:08 PM

Reputation Power: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscottab View Post
move to a place with less crime . I keep my bike in the garage but that is only to keep it out of the weather. there is very low crime here, hell i dont even know if my house keys work and when at work ill leave the keys in the ing on my truck, I dont leave the keys in the bike. when you are out and you park you bike look for a nicer bike and park next to it

bro that was I just arm mine with insurance and a disc lock, thats about it. She's also garaged when not in use. Lemme try to leave the keys to my C Class in the car and I think the question here in Philly is how long it can stay parked. Thanx for the laugh and goodluck-very diverse set of educated advice and glad tobe a member...

Hey anyone see my wallet yet???
post #15 of 81 Old 06-27-2008, 3:26 PM

Reputation Power: 12

u are wasting valuable energy worring about it. If they want it they will take it, type size color or make mean nothing, just make life a lillt more difficult, put it in a safe place.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Stolen Motorcycles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page