WB10317A75ZL76738 2005 BMW R1200GS Stolen - Page 2 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Stolen Motorcycles Post details of your stolen Motorcycle here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 18 Old 03-12-2013, 5:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 117

Garage
Re: WB10317A75ZL76738 2005 BMW R1200GS Stolen

Congrats, nice to here a happy ending for a change, what condition was it in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

The bike was recovered in December 2011, but I didn't think to update this thread until now. It was this thread that was crucial for the recovery of my bike and I am truly thankful for this site's service. Here's my story:

Apparently, my bike was listed in a Craigslist post as a "parts" bike about 1-1/2 years after it was stolen. Someone purchased the bike. He takes it to a friend who has a motorcycle shop to see if he can get it back to running condition. The shop owner feels there's something fishy about the bike (the ignition switch was damaged) and did some basic research and found this thread on Fireblades through a Google search. He then contacted a BMW dealer who had my phone number and the dealer relayed the shop owner to me. I had the bike shipped to my home.

After about 5 months of repairs, it's back to a running condition. A lot of rubber bushings and seals in the fuel tank melted. Not a fun repair. Everything in the fuel tank needed to be replaced. Also, a whole new ignition system, the cables for all my electrical accessories were severed (did they think they were alarm devices?), seats were missing, many screws and bolts missing, and very dusty.

Some important points that led to this outcome:

1. The NICB never indicated my bike was stolen on their VINCheck web service. Before the recovery, I had contacted my insurance company (a participant in the program) and the NICB many times asking why my VIN wasn't indicating "stolen". I never received a good answer. Later, after recovery, I asked the original police investigator about their reporting of the bike stolen. He indicated the State may have dropped the ball on officially reporting the bike to public sources because his department certainly reported it to the State. The CarFax report never indicated it was stolen either. This is why the purchaser of the bike during the Craigslist transaction wasn't too concerned about purchasing it. But...I'm not sure the seller would have sold it publicly like he did if sources like the NICB or CarFax were indicating it was stolen - so that's something to think about.

2. Listing the bike as stolen on a Google-searchable website with VIN number was absolutely crucial for its recovery.

Other notes:

After recovery, the police absolutely refused to follow up their investigation (was there ANY investigation?) with the Craigslist seller (I have the phone number of the seller and the purchaser agreed to make a statement and identify the seller if needed) because, they said, "...it is an unprosecutable case." You make your own judgement about how helpful our justice system can be based on this statement.

I rewarded the shop owner for his desire to determine the truth about the origination of the bike which eventually led to its recovery. He is truly a good man.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-14-2013, 8:52 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Good for you, rare outcome indeed. I had a ZX6R stolen in 2010 and it did not show up as stolen or the license plate.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Stolen Motorcycles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Search tags for this page
bmw 1200 gs salvage
bmw gs 1200 salvage
bmw motorcycle theft
bmw r1200gs for sale craigslist
bmw r1200gs salvage

r1200gs salvage

r1200gs stolen
salavaged r1200gs for sale

salvage bmw r1200gs

salvage r1200gs
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page