98 CBR900RR - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Stolen Motorcycles Post details of your stolen Motorcycle here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 125 Old 06-14-2011, 3:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

98 CBR900RR

Crazy story here... Back in April, I purchased the bike used with a clear title from a guy who lives near me. I titled it in my name, registered it with the state in my name, and transferred the plates from my old bike. Today, I go online to renew my license plates because they were expiring next month, and I get a message to call the DMV. I call them, and they say that the VIN is listed as stolen as of 9 months before I got my title! HOW DID I WALK INTO A DMV IN APRIL AND TITLE, REGISTER, AND TRANSFER PLATES TO A BIKE THAT WAS "REGISTERED STOLEN???" I was instructed to call the state police and after talking to them, 2 officers showed up at my front door with guns unsnapped asking me for all my documentation. Needless to say, I had it all. Official title, registration, inspection, the whole deal. They were confused and called some other guy in from the Auto Theft division. While they were trying to figure things out, I called the guy who I bought the bike from and he was as confused as I was because he had done the same thing - checked the VIN, registered and titled the bike in his name, and had it inspected! They ended up getting information that someone else was holding a title for my bike in some other location and...

THEY IMPOUNDED THE BIKE THAT I LEGALLY PURCHASED, TITLED, AND REGISTERED.

They said they couldn't give me any information about who had this other title because I wasn't the "registered owner." Needless to say, I am SUPER pissed and I am following up with an attorney and the detective is looking into the situation. The crazy part to all this is how I titled the bike 9 months after it was "registered stolen" and nothing was brought to my attention then!

FML.

Last edited by uhhmoney; 06-18-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 Old 06-17-2011, 4:54 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Re: 98 CBR900RR

Man that ****in sucks.......I might have went to jail that day, or just got locked up at the impound lot still clenching to my bike. Whichever they felt was easiest to accomplish.....
post #3 of 125 Old 06-17-2011, 9:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98cbr9rr View Post
Man that ****in sucks.......I might have went to jail that day, or just got locked up at the impound lot still clenching to my bike. Whichever they felt was easiest to accomplish.....
yea, I figured it was best to be compliant so that I can use the officers that showed up at my house as character witnesses in the lawsuit against the joker who sold me the bike... which if he doesn't give me my money back because of breach of warranty of title... is what it looks like will happen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 125 Old 06-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhhmoney View Post
Crazy story here... Back in April, I purchased the bike used with a clear title from a guy who lives near me. I titled it in my name, registered it with the state in my name, and transferred the plates from my old bike. Today, I go online to renew my license plates because they were expiring next month, and I get a message to call the DMV. I call them, and they say that the VIN is listed as stolen as of 9 months before I got my title! HOW DID I WALK INTO A DMV IN APRIL AND TITLE, REGISTER, AND TRANSFER PLATES TO A BIKE THAT "WAS REGISTERED STOLEN???" I was instructed to call the state police and after talking to them, 2 officers showed up at my front door with guns unsnapped asking me for all my documentation. Needless to say, I had it all. Official title, registration, inspection, the whole deal. They were confused and called some other guy in from the Auto Theft division. While they were trying to figure things out, I called the guy who I bought the bike from and he was as confused as I was because he had done the same thing - checked the VIN, registered and titled the bike in his name, and had it inspected! They ended up getting information that someone else was holding a title for my bike in some other location and...

THEY IMPOUNDED THE BIKE THAT I LEGALLY PURCHASED, TITLED, AND REGISTERED.

They said they couldn't give me any information about who had this other title because I wasn't the "registered owner." Needless to say, I am SUPER pissed and I am following up with an attorney and the detective is looking into the situation. The crazy part to all this is how I titled the bike 9 months after it was "registered stolen" and nothing was brought to my attention then!

FML.

Absolutely ridiculous.
I hope it works out okay for you.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 125 Old 06-18-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

lol blade after I did all that work and got it running and idling just right!

anyways, I am just going to have to snag another bike once I get this whole mess sorted out. Probably just going to get me a '11 1000rr right off the dealer floor, so that way I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it isn't stolen!
post #6 of 125 Old 06-18-2011, 2:49 PM

Reputation Power: 56

... My question is.. Did that other registered owner have the bike registered in his name before you registered it?

James Taylor
post #7 of 125 Old 06-18-2011, 11:21 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazed View Post
... My question is.. Did that other registered owner have the bike registered in his name before you registered it?
Yea it coulda been a "gift" from and old and pissed off ex girlfriend or friend who decided to report the bike stolen after they broke up or got into it and he wouldnt give it back, then he decided to sell it
post #8 of 125 Old 06-19-2011, 9:06 AM Thread Starter

From what he told me AFTER the sale... He had a buddy of his who owns a independent dealership title the bike for him. Here is what he told me after I called him the day the police showed up... which would have DEFINITELY impacted my original purchase decision:

HIM - "Yea man I don't know how DMV didn't catch that, I titled it in my name, and you titled it in your name... the guy I bought it from didn't have the title, he had gotten it disassembled in a box and rebuilt it."

ME - "Oh, so it was chopped up when PO before you got it? That would have been nice to know... but how did both of us walk into a DMV two separate times and get titles issued if the bike was registered stolen for over 2 months when you titled it and over 6 months when I titled it?"

HIM - "Well I didn't go to a DMV, I had a buddy of mine who has his own independent dealership title and tag the bike for me."

ME - "So you got it without a title, from a guy who admittedly got it in chopped up condition and rebuilt it, and took it to a *buddy* who could title it for you rather than the DMV."

HIM - "Yea but it was all legit"

Had I known all of this pre-sale, I DEFINITELY wouldn't have TOUCHED that bike. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a chopped bike rebuilt with no title is not a safe purchase. I can't believe how grossly misrepresented that bike was by the omission of those details!!! When I asked him where he got it, he said he got it from some guy a city away and that was it. I didn't think to question more because he was in a nice neighborhood in an expensive part of town and was holding what seemed to be a legit (physically) title. I guess this shows you can't judge a book... Like I said, I'm not worried about it at this point because in my state selling a vehicle (whether properly titled or not) that is registered stolen (whether you know it's stolen or not) is not only a felony but a breach of warranty of title. Since I cooperated with the detectives and police, they said I had nothing to worry about as far as the law goes with my possession of the bike.

I'm no pushover when it comes to court so I'll be able to handle it. The seller did not have proper title to the vehicle, as evidenced by the REAL title-holder having possession of their title and reporting it stolen, the seller did not have the right to sell the vehicle, as he was neither the owner nor an agent of the owner, the seller did not sell a vehicle with "good title" meaning that the title was not his to pass along. Whether he says knew it or not is hearsay, and I can clearly demonstrate where there was cause for suspicion during his purchase and subsequent titling of the vehicle and have a witness who can substantiate my claim that none of that information was disclosed prior to the sale. I have already spoken to the original police officer who filed the stolen report, who confirms all the date details and will be subpoenaed to court if it goes there.

... it just sucks being stuck in my cage right now.

WHAT A TURD compared to my bike, haha!

Last edited by uhhmoney; 06-19-2011 at 9:20 AM. Reason: added info
post #9 of 125 Old 06-19-2011, 9:13 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
From what he told me AFTER the sale... He had a buddy of his who owns a independent dealership title the bike for him. Here is what he told me after I called him the day the police showed up... which would have DEFINITELY impacted my original purchase decision:

HIM - "Yea man I don't know how DMV didn't catch that, I titled it in my name, and you titled it in your name... the guy I bought it from didn't have the title, he had gotten it disassembled in a box and rebuilt it."

ME - "Oh, so it was chopped up when PO before you got it? That would have been nice to know... but how did both of us walk into a DMV two separate times and get titles issued if the bike was registered stolen for over 2 months when you titled it and over 6 months when I titled it?"

HIM - "Well I didn't go to a DMV, I had a buddy of mine who has his own independent dealership title and tag the bike for me."

ME - "So you got it without a title, from a guy who admittedly got it in chopped up condition and rebuilt it, and took it to a *buddy* who could title it for you rather than the DMV."

HIM - "Yea but it was all legit"

Had I known all of this pre-sale, I DEFINITELY wouldn't have TOUCHED that bike. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a chopped bike rebuilt with no title is not a safe purchase. I can't believe how grossly misrepresented that bike was by the omission of those details!!! When I asked him where he got it, he said he got it from some guy a city away and that was it. I didn't think to question more because he was in a nice neighborhood in an expensive part of town and was holding what seemed to be a legit (physically) title. I guess this shows you can't judge a book... Like I said, I'm not worried about it at this point because in my state selling a vehicle (whether properly titled or not) that is registered stolen is not only a felony but a breach of warranty of title. I'm no pushover when it comes to court so I'll be able to handle it.

... it just sucks being stuck in my cage right now.

WHAT A TURD compared to my bike, haha!

Good stuff.
Looks like somebody is going to jail and somebody else is losing their motor vehicle dealer's ticket :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #10 of 125 Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Good stuff.
Looks like somebody is going to jail and somebody else is losing their motor vehicle dealer's ticket :-)
I won't press charges if he just gives me my money back. I am going to try to be as civil as possible... but what a load of
post #11 of 125 Old 06-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I won't press charges if he just gives me my money back. I am going to try to be as civil as possible... but what a load of

I'd push it.
It looks like a very deliberate act of fraud to me.
My guess is getting it falsely titled to himself was done purely to onsell it and to convince you it was legit.
How many other bikes have he and his buddy done this way?

post #12 of 125 Old 06-19-2011, 12:41 PM

haha Aweee to bad its not a VR6!!! Thunderbunny to the rescue haha.

I like driving the GTI that my buddy had. Was a nice ride.

James Taylor
post #13 of 125 Old 06-19-2011, 7:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
haha Aweee to bad its not a VR6!!! Thunderbunny to the rescue haha.

I like driving the GTI that my buddy had. Was a nice ride.
a couple easy mods i've done has me dyno'd at about 210hp stock hp for the 02 vr6 is 200hp

either way, neither gives me that stupid-a$$ grin I get from my two-wheeled friends!!!!

but OT... I'm calling the guy tomorrow to give him the option of going to civil court or giving me the money back. like I said before, he acted like he genuinely didn't know that the bike was stolen, and I have had no indication to believe otherwise, seeing as how easily I titled the vehicle. regardless of whether there was a title on the bike or not, all titles were void because the vehicle was reported stolen before either of us titled the vehicle, meaning that he did not have the right to sell the vehicle and could not deliver what my state calls "good title" meaning that he has breached the "warranty of title." what do my fireblade brethren think his response will be when I tell him court or compensate? chime in if you feel like it...

A. Sorry I put you through this, I will give you your money back.
B. Go screw yourself, I'm not giving you a dime.

I will be updating this after calling him tomorrow morning!
post #14 of 125 Old 06-19-2011, 7:37 PM

I know exactly what the 1.8T is capable of haha.. Friends Jetta is running ~300whp

Upgraded turbo, high flow exhaust manifold, 3 inch exhaust.
Front mount intercooler, custom stainless 2 inch piping, 4bar fpr, Watermeth Injection. Timing is maxed haha.

Way to much fun. I grin every time I drive it.

Hopefully he just gives you back your money, much easier to deal with it that way.

James Taylor
post #15 of 125 Old 06-19-2011, 8:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I know exactly what the 1.8T is capable of haha.. Friends Jetta is running ~300whp

Upgraded turbo, high flow exhaust manifold, 3 inch exhaust.
Front mount intercooler, custom stainless 2 inch piping, 4bar fpr, Watermeth Injection. Timing is maxed haha.

Way to much fun. I grin every time I drive it.

Hopefully he just gives you back your money, much easier to deal with it that way.
well I am definitely not looking to put THAT much time OR money into a cage haha! but definitely sweet if that's one's "thing"

OT: i hope he gives me the money back, too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Stolen Motorcycles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Search tags for this page
98 cbr900 won't hold a charge
98 cbr900rr

98cbr900rr

cbr 900rr police bike
cbr900rr clean title frame
cbr900rr engine vin
cbr900rr exhaust manifold size
junkyard sold me a stolen motorcycle engine
long frame for 98 cbr900rr
stolen honda cbr 900rr
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page