Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

My 900RRV fighter project.

7K views 39 replies 8 participants last post by  Fireyphoenix89 
#1 ·
Hey all.

After a recent crash thanks to an oil spill on one of my favorite left handers i decided to fighter my RRV as i really do miss riding what i feel are "proper" bikes.

You can just about see the long dark streak of oil on the road surface, police arrived on scene followed by council who spent an hour cleaning the road surface

Damaged engine case and left side plastics

The tank has a fist sized dent in it from something on the road

I decided to start off with some thing basic to get me on my way and go to work.
I discovered it wasnt the bikes fist time down on its left hand side...
Prior body filler work dont lie.
Anyway i sanded down to bare metal and got to work with getting the tank back to proper shape.

after a few hours of filling and sanding then painting this is what i had.
Very happy with it tbh got the shape back to looking normal.

another few hours of sanding and painting and i had this lot ready to fit.

Next morning got it all fitted and wired up .

and this is my bike as it stands.

Im especially happy with the indicators i made, as personally i think they look great.

not bad for £120 and 12 hours work.

Planned mods...
a road legal Acerbis enduro headlight as my one is not good night time use.
17inch front wheel as soon as funds allow as i hate the way the 16 feels and want the rubber selection 17 offers.
Looking at a mates R1 02/03 seat unit.. its gorgeous and i really do like it.

negotiating a price on a full titanium exhust system a friend has had in the loft since he stopped racing in 05

When its all how i want it im going to get it fully repainted professionally in a nice black and blood red scheme.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Cheers for reading.
Well heres a shot from a month before the oil spill incident. shes was a fecking clean RRV to be fair.

So you want progress ;) .
Well in the last 20 hours i have done a TON of work.
seems by bikes missing its arse... and yes i am building this in the street haha i live in a flat and have no where to work off the road.

Got this knocked together
not bad for an afternoons work

Well.... i best get on with sorting that out !!! haha
after about an hour of messing about to get the fit right i had this....

Still need to knock up some 10 mm adapter plates as the top mounts are a bit short to get the seat at the angle i want....nothing some 5mm solid bar cant fix !!

Looking GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Ok time to crack on with the technical side of things and make a home for the bikes brain box battery and electrics.
Old undertray was a perfect donor and once cut to shape fitted well.
Its not 100% complete but im damned close.
Still needs trimming on the bottom but it will allow me to get everything mounted up good and solid.

Won this beauty .....a VFR400 NC30 front rim with a barely used supercorsa fitted...
no more 16inch hell.
Hello cheap track scrubs :D.

Im also looking to buy this bellypan depending on funds in a few weeks.
It looks seriously nice and fits with my idea for simple clean lines on the bike.

hope you guys like my work.

#5 ·
looking good man. it looks much more like a fighter without that huge oem honda trunk on it. i mean i like the look of the huge boot with all the other panels on it but it looks a lot better with a the smaller one for sure. i think a couple of elongated plastic triangle cut pieces maybe covered with some carbon fiber wrap or something over the little bit of subframe left sticking out might look pretty good. itll really look nice with that belly pan on there too. good work man, way to turn a bad situation into an opportunity for something new n made by you.

#6 ·
Unfortunate you went down, but great thread! Love the build pics and yes, she was a fine example of a very tidy RRV. Your username has me intrigued though, any relation to G-Force (Battle of the Planets) cartoon from the 70'-80's?

Superhero Fictional character Animated cartoon Hero Cartoon

If so that's awesome, if not then it's just another username ;)

#7 · (Edited)
Your username has me intrigued though, any relation to G-Force (Battle of the Planets) cartoon from the 70'-80's?
If so that's awesome, if not then it's just another username ;)
DORK! Ok, so I wondering the same thing (though it was known as Gatchaman Science Ninja Team originally and they were a lot more badass than G Force)... :rotfl:
Project is looking so far btw! Keep the prog pics coming!

Attachments

#8 ·
Sorry guys, i was born in 89 and used to be a fire arts (FirePoi fire breathing ect. ) performer. Thats where the name comes from and as i have been using it 12 years its kinda stuck to me.
Haha that was a great show tho, used to have some on VHS.

Cheers on the comments, will have an update in a few days.
Im in the midst of the challenges of powder coating over body filler and on fiberglass.
Once thats done however the bike will be back on the road within hours.

#11 ·
Last few days have been.....trying.
Powdercoating over body filler it turns out is a complete nightmare.
In three days i have powdercoated and sanded the tank 9 times as the filler kept lifting.
Powdering over fiber glass is not easy either haha its possible tho.
I got there in the end but my gods.....

Anyway the end results are decent.

Ignore the slight discoloration in the photo that was while paint was drying after a touch up (MEK mixed with powder makes for a decent touch up paint)

Went to my mates to borrow his rivet gun so i could knock this out :)

Got my subframe mounting plates finished and got everything bolted up nice and tight.
Plates are made of 5mm steel bar so should be up to the job

Couldn't get anymore done as it started raining again :(.

#13 ·
Well fellas shes nearly there haha went for a ride to my local meet tonight and she drew a LOT of attention. Still need to fit the 17 front wheel and chop down the front mudguard (its WAAAAY to big) but other than that only a few little things to do for now, need to get my hands on a new rear dual filament bulb tomorrow as the bloody left one blew while i was wiring them in >.<. .
Was a pain in the arse getting the tank on, had to make a new bracket as the tank mounts didnt line up anymore. also had to extend the loom a few inches, no pictures of those processes as they were very boring.

What you guys think of my work so far.

Also added 50 red LEDS to the undertray.
Looks sweet at night.

Haha who says you need a garage or even a shed to create a good bike ;).

#14 ·
looks great man. im not usually a fan of flat black paint but that looks nice. agreed on the front fender could use some trimming and that belly pan you mentioned would really set it off and bring it all together.

#15 ·
Wheels are getting powdercoated in bright red (like Snap on red) all my bikes end up black and red it seems haha

The black is actually a textured matte black, feels rough like a skate board deck.
I really like it, stands out and its mega hard wearing, my mate had to a buy a load to do do some parts for an airline (he runs a powder coating business) so he set me up, as i was using powder from a bulk order he only charged me £50 for the seat and tank blasted and coated.

#19 · (Edited)
Its a fiberglass race unit for a Ducati 916. Took a bit of work to make it fit but it was well worth it i think. Cheers for the comment about Zombie.
Was a heavy bitch and loved to shred tyres, 244 kg fully fueled.
Lot of fun overtaking power rangers on a rat bike.
It looked rough around the edges but i spent a lot of money on the suspension.
The tyres tell the story ;) i could throw that bike in to corners at speeds no rat bike should ever see haha

#20 ·
Ahh... I thought the tail looked familiar. As for 'rat bike', they look pretty damn good to me. I love the post apocalyptic stuff, and they are supposed to look a bit rough! ;) I love the black and red theme as well as evidenced by my <---- "powerranger' outfit. LOL! :D
Keep em coming!

#22 ·
We got a lot in my area with all the gear and no idea haha peeps riding 1000cc bikes but with none of the skills.
I call them the power rangers, nothing wrong with full kit if you like to ride properly ;).
but i do object to people riding bikes they aint got the skills for.

Will update this once i sort the wheel ect out haha

#23 ·
No worries mate! We do look like power rangers, so there is certainly no offense taken. :D I know there are a lot of guys riding around on the street kitted up that look the part of boy racer but don't know the first thing about going fast other than wacking the throttle open going in a straight line. These are the same guys that brag about topping out their bikes. Put em on the track and they'd be the back markers. :thumb:

#24 ·
So today i got the VFR400 17 rim installed and cut the front mudguard to shape.
Looks a LOT better. Did a few other bits and bobs around the bike tidy some wiring replaced blown tail lights ect.

It rides like its on rails now.
Can properly throw it into a corner with out thinking the front was gonna let go.
Need a bit of decent weather to give the bike a proper thrashing.
Need to make a new seat, already getting blisters from that racing foam seat.

Red powdercoat for rims and a few other little bits and bobs is the next priority.

#28 ·
Its just gonna be the wheels and a few vinyls in red i think.
The wheels alone will make up about 30% of the bikes total painted mass so should be about right, tho you are right as it easy to have too much.

Todays project was making it possible to ride for more than an hour without walking like john wayne.
I was halfway to the shops for materials when i thought ....why ?
I have perfectly seat material just the pans the wrong shape.

Got home and got to work with the saw and files.
After an hour i had this.
Fits well but needs more trimming to sit level on the ducati seat.

After about 2 hours work and a LOT of swearing plus 2 ruined "heavy duty" staple guns (What the **** kind of plastic are those seat pans made of ? ) i had this.

It might not look amazing but its comfortable and dont look terrible at least.
Will get a proper seat made at some point but this is more than good enough for the foreseeable future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.