GSXR1100 runs rough below 4000 rpm - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Suzuki Motorcycles Discussion of Suzuki Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-08-2016, 9:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

GSXR1100 runs rough below 4000 rpm

Hi there,

I did try to post on the Gixxers forum, but for some reason, no one will ever reply, I have no idea why, so I have come here, as this place has always been friendly and I still have my trusty fireblade and it runs wonderfully.

So, Just bought a watercooled GSXR1100 registered in 96, though I understand it is actually a 95 model with 28,000 miles on the clock.

Unfortunately, I think I have been a little had over with it, as the guy I got it off didn't know much about bikes but he seemed very genuine, it was only riding it home that I discovered the issues. Most of which I can swallow, as they are old bike issues, i.e. rear spring instead of shock, i.e. no damping at all, clutch can't handle the power, so needs replacing, more likely upgrading, and fork seals on their way out.

However, the most concerning issue is the bogging down at low revs, it starts easily and ticks over fine, and above 4200 revs there are no problems that a new clutch won't solve. However, at low revs it is lumpy, and there is a marked flat spot from about 3900 up to 4200 when it then kicks in nicely. The guy claimed that the carbs had been balanced very recently, but to be honest, I have not yet started to look into the problem as to me, it seems like idle jets and or needle jets are either mismatched or worn. However there is an obnoxious Yoshimara Exhaust on it and I have no knowledge as to whether this would cause problems with standard jetting and standard air box. Would this pipe cause bogging down at low revs?

I now have the carbs off, and I suspect they have had a dyno kit stage one up on, as the needles are visibly scored not just worn, and I understand that this is something that used to happen to some of the dynojet kits. The airbox is stock and so I am assuming that the air filter is also. So someone has just informed me that it is possible that the emulsion tubes for these may have gone oval also, is this likely after just 28,000 on the clock?

Some advice here from anyone with knowledge of gixxer carbs would be really appreciated. Happy to start tearing apart bits if it helps guide any experts here.

Kind regards
Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-08-2016, 9:31 AM

Re: GSXR1100 runs rough below 4000 rpm

1. Stock air cleaner clean? Buy one, toss the aftermarket, or clean it if cleanable.
2. Set low screws out 3 turns. See, there is a low lag, so the bottom feed is low at the head is fuel. Screw found on the air cleaner side is air. Screw out more air cleaner side screw, it goes lean. Screw out the head side of the carb screw is more fuel enters.
3. Leave float level alone. Say, if it does not leak out the bowl it's adjusted close enough. If it revs past like you say, it's not needed. If you say it starts right up, are we seeing any tang needing a move to it?
4. Yes, if you have the sync tool, check the person's work, but really, the air screws will whack with the sync so it's set the sync anyway.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-08-2016, 9:42 AM

And that's base number [turns] out and test for lag. I'm more familiar with oil cool, but water? It's the same principal, so yes, part of it is the pipe flow. Any flow change is a black art. That's why you never hear a complaint about the stock, out of the crate, not a spec of dust on that air cleaner, that's the engineering being done to that flow characteristic of one movement of an air screw.

Then I start laughing at the 7k lag everyone pulls off the engineering LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-08-2016, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Brilliant, thanks for your input, that helps massively, I do indeed have vacuum gauges, so I can work with this. I'll let you know how I get on as a new jet kit is currently 2 weeks away if I get one, and it seems emulsion tubes are no longer available for this particular bike.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other Motorcycle Brands > Suzuki Motorcycles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page