Garage Heat and maybe A/C - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Tools / Garage / Paddock Discussion of Motorcycle Related Tools, Stands, Lifts, etc.

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By lanbrown
  • 1 Post By lanbrown

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2017, 1:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 2

Garage Heat and maybe A/C

I have a 2-car garage that's poorly insulated and not connected to the HVAC system of our home. Therefore it can get cold in winter (though not as cold as outside) and warm in summer (the shade is nice).

I'd like to be able to work on our bikes during the unfomfortable parts of the year. We have a 60+ degree day coming and I'm not ready for it because it was just too friggin cold (it was down to 17dF earlier this week).

I'm looking for suggestions on running heat in the winter and possibly A/C in summer. I've seen those lamps suspended from the ceiling in places like Home Depot but have no idea where to get such a contraption nor do I want to over spend for something that would rarely get used.

How do I know beforehand that whatever I buy will be adequate? I returned a small electric heater a couple weeks ago due to anemia.

-2006 CBR1000RR- Jardine RT-1 CF, #$&-%* Brand Air filter, GP shift rearsets, color matched levers (upgrades in progress)
-2002 CBR600F4i (I'm done with upgrades- now transferred to Her)

Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-11-2017, 2:54 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 39

Re: Garage Heat and maybe A/C

Many, many options depending on residential "codes" in your area. Some folks around here (I live in RURAL Upstate New York) who have UNinsulated structures use a "space heater" or salamander that utilizes anything from diesel to kerosene to gasoline. Some of the new units even have thermostats on them. A wood-burning cast stove would be nice as well, as long as you can plumb in a chimney/vent tube. Wood pellet, coal, and other similar heating units have come a long way as far as efficiency goes... and a ton of bagged pellets or coal are usually $200-$300.

Air Conditioning? You'd be surprised how much space a "window unit" can cool down, if the doors are kept shut. Take note of the box they come in, and they usually advertise how large of a space they can adequately cool.

Hope that helps some.

"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-2017, 3:49 PM Thread Starter

I should have put this in the OP:

I need to retain my space for use for parking our cars. Normally the bikes don't live in the garage, but they're in there because of project timeline overruns.

I value devices that can serve more than one function and a window unit would be fine, I'm okay with modifying the structure of the house - either mounting in the high ceiling (out of the way) or in a corner. I'd get a pro to do either.

-2006 CBR1000RR- Jardine RT-1 CF, #$&-%* Brand Air filter, GP shift rearsets, color matched levers (upgrades in progress)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-14-2017, 8:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage

In the winter you could use one of those propane heaters that mount to the top of the tank, or the torpedo looking ones. One of those would heat up a garage pretty quick. They can really put out. As for the summer, a couple of fans in the right spots can go a long way, especially when shade is present.

Now if you want to spoil yourself, go with the window unit. You could check into one of those wall pack units like they use in hotels. I'm pretty sure you could find one plenty big enough to work and most of those are heater/AC units combined. I have also seen window units that have a heat pump in them. Cut a hole in the wall over in the corner, and you should be good to go.

I know that you can't run duct work from your house's unit because of carbon monoxide, It would filter back through the duct work into the house. but I'm thinking with a wall pack that wouldn't matter because it's a self contained unit.

If your not going to do any insulating, I personally wouldn't waste the money on a unit. Get the propane heater and a couple of nice fans and make the best out of it.

If you know anyone in construction, check with them. They may have some ideas on what works best in you area. You can also hang tarps to make your work area smaller and easier to heat/cool. Good luck!

Cars, well you see, they are just objects to dodge.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-27-2017, 11:06 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

When I built my house I had natural gas lines installed in the garages just for a heater. An infrared heater is probably what you are going to want to use. No need to heat the air, heat yourself where you will be working.
IanDoohan likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-28-2017, 5:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
When I built my house I had natural gas lines installed in the garages just for a heater. An infrared heater is probably what you are going to want to use. No need to heat the air, heat yourself where you will be working.
Where to find such a thing?

post #7 of 8 Old 01-28-2017, 5:41 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

No experience with this brand, but Northern Tool sells them.
Mr. Heater Natural Gas Infrared Heater — 60,000 BTU, Model# F180624 | Natural Gas Garage Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

There are many companies that sell these things, so do your research and buy what fits best for you.
IanDoohan likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-28-2017, 5:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I don't have gas in garage but they make electric ones for reasonable prices
Shop Electric Fireplaces + Electric Wall Heaters | Heaters, Stoves + Fireplaces | Northern Tool + Equipment

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Tools / Garage / Paddock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page