Garage Improvement - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Tools / Garage / Paddock Discussion of Motorcycle Related Tools, Stands, Lifts, etc.

User Tag List

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Gunk
  • 2 Post By IanDoohan
  • 1 Post By fj1200rj
  • 1 Post By IanDoohan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-10-2017, 8:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 2

Garage Improvement

It's getting hot. A few months ago it was too cold to work on the bikes. I need to fix that limitation.

I have a 2 car garage with a high ceiling. I'd like to suspend a portable AC/ heat unit from the ceiling. While I'm at it, I'd like to make provisions for suspending a motorcycle from the ceiling to get it to standing height- would do wonders for my back and I won't need an expensive stand.

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for this, as you guys in this board seem to be adept at engineered solutions.

-2006 CBR1000RR- Jardine RT-1 CF, GP Shift rearsets, GP Suspensions 20mm revalve, Penske 8987 triple clicker
-2002 CBR600F4i (was mine and now hers)
Ohlins, Racetech, Showa custom Suspension

Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-10-2017, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

Re: Garage Improvement

Attached or detached garage? Is the garage already insulated with drywall and adequate roof ridge vents btw?

You got me on the "suspended" odds & ends but if you poke around over on the garagejournal message board forum, I'm sure you'll find plenty of ideas or other people who may have tackled such projects. Lots of pictures and write-ups/builds on that site about all sorts of garage upgrades, toys, gadgets, etc.

FWIW you could also just pick up one of those red colored (sub $300) motorcycle lifts from harbor freight if you need to get the bike up off of the ground to help save your back in the interim.

G'luck !

-'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
-'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC-51

-'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR
(sold)
-'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold)
post #3 of 8 Old 06-11-2017, 2:12 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Garage

I personally wouldn't want to work on a bike that's hanging from the ceiling. As Cobra suggests surely you'd be better buying a proper motorcycle lift, they regularly pop up secondhand
COBRA90GT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-11-2017, 5:20 AM
President Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 74

Garage

I can't really suggest any heating or cooling ideas (although I would love to get some of each into my garage as well as insulation), but I have suspended the bikes in a few ways to get things done PRIOR to getting the Harbor Freight lift, which I have ZERO complaints with. I suspended the frame of RRX while working on the engine:

Simple 4 points with tie downs in eye bolts into braced sections of the ceiling.

But the lift is awesome ($299 with coupon), and would still work with the same set up:

unslow1 and COBRA90GT like this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Last edited by IanDoohan; 06-11-2017 at 1:04 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-11-2017, 7:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA90GT View Post
Attached or detached garage? Is the garage already insulated with drywall and adequate roof ridge vents btw?

You got me on the "suspended" odds & ends but if you poke around over on the garagejournal message board forum, I'm sure you'll find plenty of ideas or other people who may have tackled such projects. Lots of pictures and write-ups/builds on that site about all sorts of garage upgrades, toys, gadgets, etc.

FWIW you could also just pick up one of those red colored (sub $300) motorcycle lifts from harbor freight if you need to get the bike up off of the ground to help save your back in the interim.

G'luck !
The garage is attached and serves as an access to an attic section. A small section of the garage is underneath my master bedroom. Unfortunately (?) the outside wall doesn't appear to be insulated but I could be mistaken.

I will see if I can find that site. But I have no concerns about a suspended bike from a proper brace system.

I'd like to go back to parking cars in the garage, it's been a workshop for nearly a year!

-2006 CBR1000RR- Jardine RT-1 CF, GP Shift rearsets, GP Suspensions 20mm revalve, Penske 8987 triple clicker

Last edited by Jaybird180; 06-11-2017 at 7:44 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-11-2017, 2:22 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 119

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
I can't really suggest any heating or cooling ideas (although I would love to get some of each into my garage as well as insulation), but I have suspended the bikes in a few ways to get things done PRIOR to getting the Harbor Freight lift, which I have ZERO complaints with. I suspended the frame of RRX while working on the engine:

Simple 4 points with tie downs in eye bolts into braced sections of the ceiling.

But the lift is awesome ($299 with coupon), and would still work with the same set up:

Thanks for testing it out for me, I've been thinking about getting one, but as any of us who use Harbor Freight knows, it's hit and miss. Same reason I've held off buying a compressor big enough to run my blaster from them. Haven't had too many problems with their stuff, first electric impact wouldn't bust the lug nuts on my truck loose, but I took it back and the second one hasn't let me down in a few years. Do you always keep a pair of sneakers handy in the garage next to your gas cans?
IanDoohan likes this.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #7 of 8 Old 06-11-2017, 2:42 PM
President Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 74

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj1200rj View Post
Thanks for testing it out for me, I've been thinking about getting one, but as any of us who use Harbor Freight knows, it's hit and miss. Same reason I've held off buying a compressor big enough to run my blaster from them. Haven't had too many problems with their stuff, first electric impact wouldn't bust the lug nuts on my truck loose, but I took it back and the second one hasn't let me down in a few years. Do you always keep a pair of sneakers handy in the garage next to your gas cans?
The lift is great. I've also gotten some questionable stuff from them, but this seems to be well built. For the coupon price you can't touch it. The wheel chock is weak, but for my sub 400lbs RR's it's more than adequate. I just love having the metal work place when doing oil changes as it cleans up very easily, and of course saves the knees and back having them up off the ground.

I wear a size 8.5 on a good day. That clod hopper belongs to my 15yo, size gigantor (probably an 11), and they love cluttering up my favorite space in the house.....
Gunk likes this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #8 of 8 Old 06-11-2017, 6:13 PM Thread Starter

I've been considering one of these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282464361139

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Tools / Garage / Paddock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page