Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Towing / Transport » Snowbear Trailers, good/bad?

Towing / Transport Discussion of Trailers, Wheel Chocks, Tie-Downs, Ramps, etc for Transporting Motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 12:22 AM   #1

Reputation Power: 29
SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of
Snowbear Trailers, good/bad?

Anyone out there got experience with these guys:

Snowbear Trailers

I see them @ the local HD for 600$ or so, they seem half decent for the $$. I see tons of them tied to various minivans that don't want to dirty their interior with loam, plywood,etc. but aside from that I don't have much info on em, at least from a weekend warrior standpoint... as this would probably get about 12,000 miles a year on it so longevity is a concern for me.

Any major pro's/con's on using this for transport of a dirtbike and associated gear that you can foresee?

Right now Im just using a rail trailer with leaf suspension etc. and its ok but if Im going to have something back there, I'd rather it be big enough to at least put my gas cans and stuff on as well as serving as an adequate replacement for my Ranger when Home Depot or dump duty calls
SomeStrangeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-25-2004, 12:23 AM   #2

SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of SomeStrangeGuy has much to be proud of
Re: Snowbear Trailers, good/bad?

oh yeah - looking at model 8000...
Old 05-25-2004, 2:05 AM   #3

Reputation Power: 19
G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough G-Force Junkie is a jewel in the rough

12k a year is alot for a utility trailer. They typicaly have less than desirable axls/hubs/tires. I would look for something with a 2 or 3.5k axl that takes standard 14 or 15" rims with trailer rated tires. Bumps up the price a bit, but for milage, and considering the $$$ of what your hauling on it, I think its worth it. My 5x8 Texas Bragg has a 3.5k axl, 15 inch rims with 205 trailer tires, and a load capacity of like 2600 pounds. I paid around $1,200.
G-Force Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:43 PM   #4

Im stonde I think, after reading this this am I realized 12k must be for when I semi-retire and move to a state with 12month riding . I plan on doing about 350-400 miles every other weekend for about 7/8 months of the year, probably closer to 6000 miles @ the high end

Thinking Aluminum 4x6 kinda thing maybe...the weight of the Snowbear is a little on the high side, and its a little large for about 96% of the work Ill be doing with it.

Then again the plan is just to get me through for a few years till I go enclosed and get a bigger tow vehicle. But even then would be nice to still have a nice little deck trailer kicking around when I gotta haul around little crap and don't want to tear apart my dirtyride trailer.

yeah...thats it
Old 05-26-2004, 7:05 AM   #5

Reputation Power: 26
HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold

I've seen those and I'm less than impressed with them for motorcycle towing. If it's just for dirtbikes and not streetbikes, you'll probably get away with it. Personally, I'd look for a good used landscape trailer.
HondaGalToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 5:17 PM   #6
Administrator

Reputation Power: 41
Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future

I bought one back in '99. It was perfect for trailering my VFR all over the place (no comment out of you NinerPilot! ). The thing had good build quality other than they reversed the wires for the brake lights when it was built. Took me awhile to figure out the problem but was easily solved. I also used to for hauling furniture, landscaping supplies, and some lumber. I ended up selling it to a desparate Harley owner in need of trailer to haul his bike to Daytona Bike Week! Used the the money to buy the 6x12 enclosed trailer I have today.

Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:47 PM   #7

Heh, the irony is that I came down the highway tonight and think I saw one in the median with a puzzled family looking on from their Aerostar, a sign?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:55 AM   #8
Administrator

Reputation Power: 41
Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future Red Rider has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SomeStrangeGuy
Heh, the irony is that I came down the highway tonight and think I saw one in the median with a puzzled family looking on from their Aerostar, a sign?
Yeah...who in their right mind would ever buy an Aerostar?

Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #9

Reputation Power: 0
boutym is on a distinguished road

An old thread, but my experience with Snow Bear trailers hasn't been that great. I have several trailers and a few years back purchased a Snow Bear 5x10 landscape type trailer. After the warranty ran out the left wheel bearing decides to grenade. I bitched about it to Snow Bear telling them the bearing should not have failed this soon. Their response was that the manual states the bearings should be repacked every 1000 miles or 6 months. The manual does not state this, but says the bearings should be CHECKED every 1000 miles or 6 months and repacked if necessary. My contention, warranty or not, is that the bearing in question was defective. Further evidence of this is that the races that are still in the hub show no signs of overheating (a condition that would occur if no grease were present or the trailer was frequently overloaded).

Anyway, Snow Bear is holding to their guns on the issue and are not willing to provide parts unless I pay for them, which I am not about to do. If I have to buy parts I'll replace the axle with a higher quality unit.

On the issue of axle, if you blow a bearing and it damages the spindle you have to replace the entire axle. You cannot replace just the spindle. Another indication of how cheap Snow Bear is when building trailers.

The lights they use on the trailers are junk also.
boutym is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Towing / Transport

Search tags for this page
2003 snow bear trail
snow bear trailer
snow bear trailer pricing

snow bear trailers

snow bear trailers home depot

snowbear trailer

snowbear trailer manual
snowbear trailer specs

snowbear trailers

snowbear utility trailer
snowbear utility trailer 4x8 price
snowbear utility trailer 5x8
Click on a term to search for related topics.