Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles

Track Days / Riding Schools Discussion of Track Days, Riding Schools, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2006, 11:44 AM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
boostede36 is on a distinguished road
Tracks in NJ/NY/PA

I am new to this board. I wanted to inquire about possible track days or events that will be occurring in the upcoming season. I know it is probably still too early to tell, but any information would be helpful. I want to attend some track days (either as a participant or viewer) in the NY/NJ/PA area and would like to know what is required of me as a rider? I have a Honda RC51 and is no where near track material, but I would still like to attend a racing class or event to become more familiar with the bikes capabilities. I have been riding for a couple of years, and as most of the Jersey residents know, this state is nowhere to test the capabilities of your bike on the road. For this reason I would like to take it to the track. Unfortunately I have heard about difficulties about taking a street bike to the track: for example it must be prepped, no glass, bolts must be drilled and wired, etc. Are there any events such as an Auto-X for motorcycles? I am sure there is something out there like this for us. I did a search and found info about a thunderbolt raceway, but is not complete and as I have read on the forums, people doubt it will ever exist. Where can I go to participate in motorcycle racing? If it is too difficult to participate, where can I go to watch some racing other than on the T.V.?
boostede36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #2

Reputation Power: 39
luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of luvtolean has much to be proud of
Re: Tracks in NJ/NY/PA

Your RC51 is track material.

Normally for a trackday you have to remove your mirrors and tape your lights. Other than basic mechanical checks that everything's working on the bike, and that your tires aren't shagged, that's about it.

Some trackday organizations force you to remove your coolant and run water only.

A rare couple MAY force you to safety wire your oil filter and drain bolt. These are cheap, SIMPLE, quick mods, and IMO you should do them before putting your bike on track no matter the rules.

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
luvtolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 1:15 PM   #3

Reputation Power: 26
HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold

There are several organizations that run trackdays in the Northeast. You can spectate at any of their events for free (STT has a $5 gate fee). The ones are Reduc (www.reduc.com), Team Promotion (www.teampromotion.com), NESBA (www.nesba.com), Sportbiketracktime (www.sportbiketracktime.com), and Champion Sportbike Club (www.championsportbikeclub.com).

They all have their pros and cons. In order to ride, you must be a member of the club. Some, like NESBA, have a "try the track" day where you can ride a session or two without joining. All have instruction of some sort for track newbies. They also have instructors to help out intermediate and advanced riders as well. Most run 3 groups: Novice, Intermediate, Advanced. Check the websites for more information on the clubs. Your RC51 will make a great trackbike, I know several folks that use them. Preparation will include removing or taping mirrors, taping over all lenses and reflectors, disabling the brake light, no leaks, and nearly new tires. Some require replacement of antifreeze with distilled water or distilled water + Water Wetter. I don't believe any of the ones I mentioned require any safety wiring. Again, check each site for specifics, and for the required gear. I ride with Reduc and Sportbiketracktime, so I can probably answer specific questions about them.

In addition, there are some professional schools. I think Keith Code is the only one that runs at Pocono (www.superbikeschool.com). I personally haven't taken it. There's also Reg Pridmore's CLASS (www.classrides.com), and Jason Pridmore's STAR (www.star***************). They both are excellent, but not local.
HondaGalToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 1:27 PM   #4

Reputation Power: 12
RC51Mike has a spectacular aura about RC51Mike has a spectacular aura about

As usual, HGToo summed up the options nicely. It's not wise to ride to the track but a lot of first timers do. Open bed trailers can be had for cheap or rented from U-haul. Also, it doesn't matter if you are in NJ or Californina, you can't possibly know what your bike's and your capabilities are unless you are on a racetrack. period. Tracks closest to NJ are Pocono, VIR and Summit Point. All the track clubs use them for events.
RC51Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 1:44 PM   #5

HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RC51Mike
As usual, HGToo summed up the options nicely. It's not wise to ride to the track but a lot of first timers do. Open bed trailers can be had for cheap or rented from U-haul. Also, it doesn't matter if you are in NJ or Californina, you can't possibly know what your bike's and your capabilities are unless you are on a racetrack. period. Tracks closest to NJ are Pocono, VIR and Summit Point. All the track clubs use them for events.
Oooo, and BeaveRun, one of my favs. It's a 6-8 hour drive, but still closer than VIR!

I like your avatar. Cute new bird!!!
Old 01-03-2006, 1:49 PM   #6

Reputation Power: 0
boostede36 is on a distinguished road

WOW. That is alot of information and I am very thankful. If anyone has any info that they think I should know before I embark on a track day keep the comments coming. Thanks again.
boostede36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 2:07 PM   #7

Originally Posted by boostede36
WOW. That is alot of information and I am very thankful. If anyone has any info that they think I should know before I embark on a track day keep the comments coming. Thanks again.
You're quite welcome. If you have any other questions, feel free to add to the thread or PM me. I've been doing trackdays for a number of years. It's addicting!
Old 01-03-2006, 4:03 PM   #8

Reputation Power: 11
ratdog is on a distinguished road

HGToo covered most of it...

although the track in Millville isn't ready...you have options and check out the local sportbike clubs, there's a bunch of track addicts as well as coaches from the various organizations...plenty of good folks willing to help

i am riding w/ TPM and STT this year (maybe one NESBA day)
tracks you might try, Louden, Pocono, Beaverun, VIR, CMP, Summit

tried Beaverun for the first time last year and loved it !! will be going back a couple times this year among other places

some jersey area clubs:

NYSBC - http://www.gogoracers.com/
GSSC - http://www.gssc.info
TSSB - http://www.tristatesportbikes.com/vb3/
SBA - http://www.sportbikeaddicts.com/

all of these clubs have forums w/ Track sections and threads on Track Prep and Checklists...check 'em out

Last edited by ratdog; 01-03-2006 at 4:09 PM.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Events > Track Days / Riding Schools

Search tags for this page

motorcycle race tracks in pa

motorcycle racing pennsylvania
motorcycle racing school nj

motorcycle track days ny

motorcycle track days pa

motorcycle track days pennsylvania

motorcycle track nj

motorcycle tracks in pa

motorcycle tracks near nyc
pratice tracks for motorcycles in ny nj pa
street bike track nj

street bike tracks in pa

Click on a term to search for related topics.