Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Events > Track Days / Riding Schools » Lean angle sensor, remove or keep it

Track Days / Riding Schools Discussion of Track Days, Riding Schools, etc.

View Poll Results: Keep it or remove the lean angle sensor
Keep it on the bike 20 90.91%
Remove it 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2006, 11:24 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 28
Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of
Lean angle sensor, remove or keep it

I am trying to decide on whether or not to remove the lean angle sensor on the new track bike project. I have heard arguments on both sides as to keep or remove it.

Pros: if the bike does go down the bike's engine is not running without oil.

Cons: I have heard of the sensor killing the bike while in full lean position which is not good.

Keep it or remove it?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:25 PM   #2

Reputation Power: 26
nhfirefighter13 is a splendid one to behold nhfirefighter13 is a splendid one to behold nhfirefighter13 is a splendid one to behold nhfirefighter13 is a splendid one to behold nhfirefighter13 is a splendid one to behold nhfirefighter13 is a splendid one to behold nhfirefighter13 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13 Send a message via Yahoo to nhfirefighter13
Re: Lean angle sensor, remove or keep it

keep it.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:34 PM   #3

Reputation Power: 11
RPinOZ is on a distinguished road

If the bike is at full lean whilst riding the sensor does not cut the engine.
If the bike is at full lean or horizontal standing still or sliding down the
road the sensor does cut the engine.
IMO the only reason to remove it is to trim that weight off the bike (an ounce or 2)
Nuff said.
RPinOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #4

Reputation Power: 13
CBRBob is on a distinguished road

The story about it killing the bike while leaned over is crap. The unit is a penduluum in a box full of oil with contacts on either side. If you knock the bike over it will still take few seconds to cut the power. Try unbolting it, keep it level, run the bike in neutral, quickly turn the unit on its side and wait for it to shut off. Now here is where the crap stories get thick. When you are in a good lean, where is the weight of the bike going? Yep, straight down into the tires. So where would the weight of the penduluum go? Yes straight down as if the bike were standing still, straight up and down. If the unit gets damaged or something happens that it loses the oil inside (I think you might notice that), the weight would swing quickly and shut the bike off taking it off the stand. So this is an easy one, keep it. Besides, most racing orgs. require it to be there.
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
CBRBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:57 PM   #5

Reputation Power: 28
Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of

Seems as if someone has blamed "the sensor" for their mishap during a corner then.
Old 02-10-2006, 1:21 AM   #6

Reputation Power: 13
jaim has a spectacular aura about jaim has a spectacular aura about

I thought some track day organizations and racing bodies required the bike to shut off when/if the bike goes down in an accident.
jaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 8:01 AM   #7

Reputation Power: 12
smoothrideronli is a jewel in the rough smoothrideronli is a jewel in the rough smoothrideronli is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by CBRBob
The story about it killing the bike while leaned over is crap. The unit is a penduluum in a box full of oil with contacts on either side. If you knock the bike over it will still take few seconds to cut the power. Try unbolting it, keep it level, run the bike in neutral, quickly turn the unit on its side and wait for it to shut off. Now here is where the crap stories get thick. When you are in a good lean, where is the weight of the bike going? Yep, straight down into the tires. So where would the weight of the penduluum go? Yes straight down as if the bike were standing still, straight up and down. If the unit gets damaged or something happens that it loses the oil inside (I think you might notice that), the weight would swing quickly and shut the bike off taking it off the stand. So this is an easy one, keep it. Besides, most racing orgs. require it to be there.
I agree...not to be anal...but the centrifugal force keeps the pendulum from going straight down but rather in a radial direction as opposed to straight down where it would hit one of the contacts. The weight of the bike is still going down, but is balanced by the centrifugal force and the force created by the friction of the tires on the road. When there is an imbalance...you might have a...mishap...but then again...maybe its just a faulty lean angle sensor that caused the mishap...of course
smoothrideronli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 8:20 AM   #8

Reputation Power: 37
Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of

<--Hoping like hell that Orville Redenbacher takes PayPal...

Last edited by Baketech; 02-10-2006 at 8:29 AM.
Baketech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 8:51 AM   #9

Reputation Power: 12
smoothrideronli is a jewel in the rough smoothrideronli is a jewel in the rough smoothrideronli is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Baketech
<--Hoping like hell that Orville Redenbacher takes PayPal...
Maybe I am slow...but I dont get it
smoothrideronli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 8:57 AM   #10

Reputation Power: 37
Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of Baketech has much to be proud of

Just being an asshole...it's in my contract. Just ignore it...
Baketech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 9:11 AM   #11

nhfirefighter13 is a splendid one to behold nhfirefighter13 is a splendid one to behold nhfirefighter13 is a splendid one to behold nhfirefighter13 is a splendid one to behold nhfirefighter13 is a splendid one to behold nhfirefighter13 is a splendid one to behold nhfirefighter13 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13 Send a message via Yahoo to nhfirefighter13

Originally Posted by smoothrideronli
I agree...not to be anal...but the centrifugal force keeps the pendulum from going straight down but rather in a radial direction as opposed to straight down where it would hit one of the contacts. The weight of the bike is still going down, but is balanced by the centrifugal force and the force created by the friction of the tires on the road. When there is an imbalance...you might have a...mishap...but then again...maybe its just a faulty lean angle sensor that caused the mishap...of course

Not to be uber anal, but I believe it's actually referred to as "centripetal force." Or at least me high school physics teacher used to take a swing at me when I said centrifugal.
Old 02-10-2006, 9:26 AM   #12
Resigned to pursue other interests.

Reputation Power: 34
ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold

It's centrifugal from my memory, and from Google: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_force
Old 02-10-2006, 9:26 AM   #13

abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of abtech has much to be proud of

Not to be un anal, but the story of the Suzuki bank angle sensors cutting the ignition mid turn are not BS as mentioned earlier. When I was at the Schwantz School in 2002, I got into a big highside coming out of turn 7 (the right hander leading onto the back straight) chasing Jamie James. I saved it somehow (all on video from Jamie's bike cam BTW), but the sensor shut off the ignition when the bike straightened out. No big surprise here, the bike was horizontal in mid air. The bad part came when I threw the bike into turn 1 (the next "real" right hander) on the next lap and the sensor cut the ignition mid corner.

After speaking with Ted Cobb later that day, I was informed it isn't unusual at all for the 600 GSXRs. If I remember correctly, RRW posted an article written by the AOD on how to fix the Suzuki sensors.
Old 02-10-2006, 9:26 AM   #14
Resigned to pursue other interests.

ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold ConqSoft is a splendid one to behold

Hmm. But it looks like either may be correct.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...&q=centripetal
Old 02-10-2006, 9:44 AM   #15

• The reactive centrifugal force is the reaction to the the centripetal force. This is equal in magnitude to the centripetal force, directed away from the center of rotation, and is exerted by the rotating object upon the object which exerts the centripetal force. As it is an actual force, it is always present, independent of the choice of reference frame.
  • The fictitious centrifugal force appears when a rotating reference frame is used for analyzing the system. The centrifugal force is exerted on all objects, and directed away from the axis of rotation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Events > Track Days / Riding Schools

Search tags for this page
bank angle sensor wiki
hack lean angle sensor
how to tell if angle lean sensor is bad on motorcycle
lean angle indicator

lean angle sensor

lean angle sensors
motorcycle bank sensor
motorcycle lean angle indicator

motorcycle lean angle sensor

motorcycle lean indicator
raptor lean angle sensor
vfr 800 bank angle sensor
Click on a term to search for related topics.