Honda Motorcycle Forum
Honda Motorcycles
Navigation » Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Events > Track Days / Riding Schools » Trackday tire type and pressure?

Track Days / Riding Schools Discussion of Track Days, Riding Schools, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 10:22 PM   #1

Reputation Power: 0
Paladin is on a distinguished road
Trackday tire type and pressure?

I'm curious as to what tire types people have had both good and bad luck with at trackdays, as well as what tire pressures are typically run.

I myself just had a low side with a pair of Pirelli Corsas running at 28/28 cold. I feel a lot of that could have been due to overheating the Corsas riding them fast and too soft. I've LOVED the way Diablos and Corsas have felt on the street...but this trackday I was riding really hard, getting my knee down, braking late and going hammers and it seemed to be a little much for them.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-14-2006, 10:29 PM   #2

Reputation Power: 10
rotorblade is on a distinguished road
Re: Trackday tire type and pressure?

Last weekend I was running Supercorsa's at 28 cold, any higher and they just spun-up.
rotorblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:32 PM   #3

Reputation Power: 11
Nickelii has a spectacular aura about Nickelii has a spectacular aura about

I run Michelin PR's and slicks. The slicks I run at 28 both front and rear and the PR's I run 31 or 30 in the front and 22 in the rear
Old 08-14-2006, 10:35 PM   #4

Reputation Power: 43
sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future sheepofblue has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

From what I have heard if you are running Super Corsas your pressure is about right, if you are running Daiblo Corsas you likely had them to low (I ran 30-32 on mine) Search on Abtech and tire pressure for and even better method than hearsay for determining tire pressure.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:48 PM   #5

Reputation Power: 26
HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold

Corsas or Diablo Corsas? The Diablo Corsas are the ones that are the trackday tire, the Diablos are for street and aren't as sticky. The Diablo Corsas are marketed for 70% track, 30% street. I've liked them. They do seem to like higher pressures, around 34/34. I've run them at 32 or so. 28 is too low for them. I'm running Pilot Powers right now and I've got them at 32f/30r and they seem fine. That's the pressures I use for most tires that are street tires. I haven't used any DOT race tires like the SuperCorsa, because I street ride and I want the rain sipes to go to the edge of the tire.

To really see if you're using the correct pressure, you should see a 20% increase in pressure from the cold setting to what the pressure is when the tire's hot. I've never done this, as I'm not a super fast rider.
HondaGalToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #6

Reputation Power: 30
CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of

The problem with this subject is that for everyone who knows what they're talking about, there are 75 hoopleheads just flappin' their lips.

From the Pirellimoto website:

For any other unanswered questions, or if you simply want to speak to
a Pirelli employee, please telephone us at the number below:

-- Customer Support --
Tollfree: 1.800.747.3554, option 4 (followed by #)
Direct: 1.706.368.5826
Fax: 1.706.368.5879

Please be sure to have information about your tires/motorcycle
in front of you, including tire model, date codes and tire sizes.
The tire companies have technical staff that will be happy to talk to you, because they want you to use their tires on every vehicle you have.

Get the baseline from this guy, and then read Abtech's posts on the 20% rule. You'll become an expert, and you'll know how to get this question answered for your riding, your setup, your weight, road or track.

And remember, we can have the best tires, properly inflated and heated, our suspension perfectly set up, and still take a tour de asphalt because we didn't exercise judgment and control. It isn't always the fault of the tire, I dont care what they say on every single motorcycle forum in this universe!

Good luck

CBRVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 5:32 AM   #7

HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold HondaGalToo is a splendid one to behold

Hey, who you callin' a hooplehead???!!!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 9:57 AM   #8

Reputation Power: 30
CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of CBRVFR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Hey, who you callin' a hooplehead???!!!!!

Certainly not you, my dear.. ( I just saw an episode of Deadwood.. That's Al Swearengen's only printable epithet.)
CBRVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 1:17 PM   #9

Reputation Power: 0
Paladin is on a distinguished road

I'm using the Corsas, the trackday tire. I figured 28/28 was too low for them, judging by how quickly they started getting slippy.

I'll seek out the aforementioned post. What I'd really like to do is get a pyrometer so I could check the temps of the rubber itself, and just pressure accordingly to keep 'em in the proper operating temp range. But since I can't really afford one of those yet, I'll look for abtech's post.

Whats the most trackdays you fellas have gotten out of a single pair of street/trackday hybrid tires? I'm going to take these tires back for a second trackday in september.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 4:52 PM   #10

I've gotten 6-8 trackdays out of sets of Diablo Corsas, I run intermediate.
Old 08-15-2006, 9:49 PM   #11

I've gotten 6-8 trackdays out of sets of Diablo Corsas, I run intermediate.
Holy hell. I barely, barely got three days outta my supercorsa rear. But all three days were mainly right handers.
Old 08-15-2006, 9:53 PM   #12

Originally Posted by rotorblade View Post
Holy hell. I barely, barely got three days outta my supercorsa rear. But all three days were mainly right handers.
I'm thinking perhaps the SuperCorsas are softer, being that they're a race tire, not a trackday/street tire like the Diablo Corsas? I'm not aggressive, so I'm relatively easy on tires.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:07 PM   #13

Reputation Power: 28
Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of Hammer has much to be proud of

Track conditions and bike size have something to do with that as well. Some tracks eat tires up pretty quick.
Old 08-16-2006, 6:40 AM   #14

I'm thinking perhaps the SuperCorsas are softer, being that they're a race tire, not a trackday/street tire like the Diablo Corsas? I'm not aggressive, so I'm relatively easy on tires.
Yes, the Supers are a much softer, and these were even the 'super soft' compounds, so I knew they'd wear fast. But I was still hoping to get four days. Two days were at Beaverun and the last at Summit Jefferson, whic I don't think is hard on tires.
Old 08-16-2006, 7:01 AM   #15

Yes, the Supers are a much softer, and these were even the 'super soft' compounds, so I knew they'd wear fast. But I was still hoping to get four days. Two days were at Beaverun and the last at Summit Jefferson, whic I don't think is hard on tires.
The Beave is pretty hard on tires, but the Jefferson circuit is too slippery from all the antifreeze they dump on it for police training to be hard on tires. How did you like JC? I tried it once, hated it, and will never ride it again. The Main course is great. I can't believe how much $$$ they wasted on that ridiculous, dangerous Shenandoah Circuit, though. For the $$$ they spent on that, they could've repaved the wonderful Main Course.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Events > Track Days / Riding Schools

Search tags for this page
motorcycle air pressure for track days
motorcycle tire pressure for the track
motorcycle tire pressure for track day
motorcycle track day tire pressure
motorcycle tyre pressures for track days

track day tire pressure

track day tire pressure motorcycle
track day tire pressure slk300

track day tyre pressures

track day tyre pressures honda fireblade
track tyre pressure fireblade
trackday tire sizes, what is best
Click on a term to search for related topics.