Going faster at the track - Page 2 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Track Days / Riding Schools Discussion of Track Days, Riding Schools, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 Old 10-10-2007, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Going faster at the track

couple points ive found to work well-

start with getting your suspension set up for you.

aim for consistency and establish braking, turn in, and reference points.

slower and smooth will get you faster in time.

i only have 4 trackdays under my belt but concentrating on these points has gotten me from track newbie to B+ in 3 trackdays, just gotta work on consistency and fading into turns...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 10-10-2007, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 16

For those that are serious about going faster staying in good shape by means of a good clean diet and taking regualr exercise / training will also help you extract better results at the track. Every pound you drop improves the power to weight ratio and so it follows the bike will handle better, accelerate faster and brake more effectively.
post #18 of 30 Old 10-11-2007, 8:05 PM

Hey,my first post!! Great thread,excellent advice.i guess i would add Reg Pridmore's book, Smooth Riding The Pridmore Way,just an excellent primer on all phases of advanced riding.I've read it twice,and gawked at the photos at least a hundred times.I was lucky enough to attend his school at Grattan,in West Michigan.He stressed[forgive the pun]being relaxed to be smooth.Interestingly,he said there was only a several second difference between the fastest and slowest guy out there,and then added,"it's only going to take a minute-75 to get around the damn thing,what's the hurry??" He just put everyone at ease,then coached intently,and everyone really got so much better throughout the day,and yes,faster.By the way,that was on a VFR,and the 'Blade really is head and shoulders above it in its ability to run apex to apex with confidence.I just love this thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 30 Old 11-09-2007, 5:35 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
getting wagged like the tail of a dog. But if you are up front, you are the dog! I'd rather be the dog. I bet the dirt bike types know this very well.
Your right about that, in the dirt we are all over the front end of the bike for control in the turns. You do tend to move front back on dirt bikes a lot more.
post #20 of 30 Old 02-02-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .OrgOwner View Post
Your right about that, in the dirt we are all over the front end of the bike for control in the turns. You do tend to move front back on dirt bikes a lot more.

Hey first post. I have recently bought a street bike. I have rode dirt bikes for a long time and staying on the tank is the first thing I had to learn to do when cornering or going up hill fast.

I have that tendency to hug the tank on my 1000 when I ride the street.

I want to go to the track and was wondering if there are techniques from riding dirtbikes that help on the track as well.

By the way all of the advice on this thread is awsome!

Thanks
post #21 of 30 Old 05-02-2009, 2:06 PM

I have that problem as well. Riding dirt for so long same old story. I have noticed that when on the tank you get a real good feel for the front end/tire. Remember this when you are braking hard (weight transfer) as well as grabbing a hand full of front brake while cornering.BIG NO..NO.. On a big strret bike your entrance speed should be set before you are in the corner so that way everything is set Position/suspension going through the corner and all you are doing is making small adjustments through (trail braking or slow steady appl of the throttle. A lot of new guys go in way to hot.. same story everytime. they chop/lock and go staight through the corner into whatever is in the other lane or other side of the road. I recommend if you ride that far forward, try to forget about your back brake and work the front with the assistance of your blips or slipper. A lot of succesful riders have totally different styles and positions. I watch/ read a lot about because when you watch really smooth riders everything looks fluid and in line with the bike and their line. Try to pick certain things and incorporate. Also what works well is get someone that has the fundementals down and have them follow you. Let them critique your positions and go from there. Helped me out tremendously. Good luck in the transformation.
post #22 of 30 Old 05-02-2009, 4:56 PM

Hallo my Friend

Seems to me that you are about one year late with your reply, but that does not matter. I do ride a Hayabusa now and not interested at going to any track with it. Sold my Repsol CBR about 6 month ago and must say that although I love the busa, I will always mis the CBR very much!
post #23 of 30 Old 09-10-2010, 9:13 PM

I know .., I know ...,

This is a wicked old thread .......... Thankyou .., Thank you ....

Just some random things I'd like to add ..

- Johnny Benttencourt use ta say at his Race schools ..., " If your not smile'n in your helmet .., your not gonna go fast . "

- If you feel rushed ( frantic ) on the track ..., things just don't seem or feel 100% right to you with the bike ..... The way the bars and levers are positioned .. The way your gear fits you as it may bother you , etc ... This might slow you down too ? It does to me if it's not just right sometimes ..

- ( IMO ) .... The $10 dollars worth of attention metaphor that Keith Code uses , is a great way of explaining what needs to happen to be a faster rider / racer ...

I know it can be a hard thing to do ..., But .., try and take your time to learn the track .., don't just rush into it in the first couple of sessions ... You have all day to get it right ..

Don't mind me ..., I'm old and washed up ...

Last edited by Hasbin-943; 09-11-2010 at 6:10 AM.
post #24 of 30 Old 09-12-2010, 11:35 PM

Reputation Power: 56

Go to a mini track.. and ride the small bikes..

Those are 100cc dirtbikes.. with street tires.
I know racers.. and they think the practice is amazing. It is great to learn how to read lines on the track.
Also, it helps give people confidence with dragging knee. Took me 2 laps on there to start dragging knee, at first it was almost scary.. Then I got super relaxed and could really lean over.

I am not sure that giving tips is a helpful way to make somebody go faster. Unless you are at the track and can give a tip about a certain turn or portion of the track.

Yes having a properly setup bike can help... unless it is extremely out of wack, its not going to end up bad with it being improperly setup.

If a 130lb and a 220lb riders can be an endurance team.. Then I think improperly setup bike works.
That bike is setup for 220lbs... so you can imagine how stiff the suspension is for the 130lb rider(Doesnt budge) and yet the 130 lb rider still does better times. Not just because of the weight.
post #25 of 30 Old 09-12-2010, 11:38 PM

Re: I know .., I know ...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbin-943 View Post

I know it can be a hard thing to do ..., But .., try and take your time to learn the track .., don't just rush into it in the first couple of sessions ... You have all day to get it right ..

Don't mind me ..., I'm old and washed up ...
I havent spent any time on the track.. other then the mini track.

Sometimes taking your time doesnt get you anywhere.. I know with me it doesnt. I am better off pushing my limits right off the bat, I learn so much quicker. Yes there is a possibility of crashing, but going slow can end up the same
post #26 of 30 Old 09-12-2010, 11:55 PM

some of the key things i try to always remember at the track are,

-consistency, especially braking references

-looking ahead, where i do my trackdays they set up turn in, apex an exit cones, i look for my turn in cone, as im approaching it im sweeping over to the apex cone and then on past the exit cone and to the inside of the turn all before i even hit the apex

-good body position, not only butt off the bike an knee out, but i really try to lead with my head an get the upper part of my body off the bike, i also try to get my body position setup before i tip in, also stay off the bike coming out of the turn so i can get the bike straight up quicker an on the gas
post #27 of 30 Old 09-13-2010, 12:04 AM

I notice people keep saying look ahead.. Well look where you want to go Not just ahead...

If there is a rider infront of you, dont watch what they are doing.
post #28 of 30 Old 09-13-2010, 6:25 AM

Reputation Power: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbin-943 View Post

- Johnny Benttencourt use ta say at his Race schools ..., " If your not smile'n in your helmet .., your not gonna go fast . "
To me this is a ridiculous statement, because when i raced the saying was the opposite. "If your not scared sh*t going into every turn your not going fast", smiles came after the practice or race was over.
post #29 of 30 Old 09-13-2010, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazed View Post
Sometimes taking your time doesnt get you anywhere.. I know with me it doesnt. I am better off pushing my limits right off the bat, I learn so much quicker. Yes there is a possibility of crashing, but going slow can end up the same
By take'n your time .., I mean try'n multiple lines and finding where most of the bad spot are on the track ..

When I use ta run .., I would sometimes get a crappy start and get caught up behind this wickedly out of shape rider .. This guy looked like he was gonna go down almost every corner , every lap .. It was almost a sure bet he was go'n down .., And most of the time I would get that position because he was always so out of shape .... The last time that happened .., I watched him low side into a concrete wall and break his leg .

Last edited by Hasbin-943; 09-13-2010 at 10:27 AM.
post #30 of 30 Old 09-13-2010, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spina220 View Post
To me this is a ridiculous statement, because when i raced the saying was the opposite. "If your not scared sh*t going into every turn your not going fast", smiles came after the practice or race was over.
Hmmm....., all's I can tell ya is .., On the days when I was winning races .., It always felt to be so effortless and nothing could go wrong .. No oh $hite moments for me .. Everything just flowed .., no matter how bad the track conditions were at the moment ... The best feeling by far ..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Events > Track Days / Riding Schools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page