Amber Light - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Australia Regional discussion for members that live in Australia.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 6:40 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-28-2012
Location: Kilsyth
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Amber Light

Hey, got a traffic infringement the other day for going thru an Amber light. Have tried to contest it but was told in writing by another police officer that it is actually illegal to run an Amber light???? Have been driving/riding for over 20 years and have never heard of this? Can anyone confirm or deny if this is correct?
Tom01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 8:02 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Amber Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom01 View Post
Hey, got a traffic infringement the other day for going thru an Amber light. Have tried to contest it but was told in writing by another police officer that it is actually illegal to run an Amber light???? Have been driving/riding for over 20 years and have never heard of this? Can anyone confirm or deny if this is correct?

Of course it's illegal.
Amber means stop if possible.
It does not mean stop if you feel like it.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 8:14 AM
 
Join Date: 04-03-2012
Location: Chasing range rovers.
Posts: 3,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 113
                     
Re: Amber Light

It's the same everywhere.

Amber does NOT mean "the light's about to go red in a second".

It DOES mean "stop unless it's unsafe to do so" (eg, there's a car close behind you, you're too close to the light to stop before the line).

The timing of the light is set to the speed limit of the road, so going over the speed limit potentially puts you in an awkward situation if the light changes as you're approaching (not saying you were speeding, just adding to the comment).

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
Sky91 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 8:26 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Amber Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
It's the same everywhere.

Amber does NOT mean "the light's about to go red in a second".

It DOES mean "stop unless it's unsafe to do so" (eg, there's a car close behind you, you're too close to the light to stop before the line).

The timing of the light is set to the speed limit of the road, so going over the speed limit potentially puts you in an awkward situation if the light changes as you're approaching (not saying you were speeding, just adding to the comment).

On group rides I often see comments about determining what to do at amber lights, do we go through or do we stop. This does not need to be discussed before the ride. We all have licences, we all know the road rules - so we stop on amber. Morons on group rides that open the throttle on an amber light risk killing those ahead of them that do the right thing by stopping.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 9:32 AM
 
Join Date: 04-03-2012
Location: Chasing range rovers.
Posts: 3,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 113
                     
Re: Amber Light

Coupled with the fact that just because the first few bikes can make it, doesn't mean everyone can. I typically work off the rule that if everyone can't do it, than no-one should.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
Sky91 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 9:58 AM
 
Join Date: 01-08-2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 7,455
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198
                     
Re: Amber Light

Intersections are a very likely place to have an accident. The flow of traffic is disrupted and people unwittingly or intentionally make bad decisions.
That said, I'm going against the developing grain just a little bit.
In my state, which uses photo-enforcement at some intersections, if your front tire (or tires) is across the white line of the intersection while the light is still yellow, you're ok. Even if the light turns red at the instant that your tires are completely across the line and into the intersection, you will get no ticket.
In the event you get stopped by Police in the same scenerio, then it's your word against his. Unless you happen to have your go-pro on and it shows indisputably that your tire was across the line before it turned red.

Our lights stay yellow for a good 3 or 4 seconds in the busier intersections. When I'm driving my work van, loaded down with weight, I sensibly use this knowledge to determine whether or not to come to a nose diving stop. Because like everyone here, occasionally I might be going 5 to 10 mph over the posted limit of 45, 50, or 65 mph. (You rarely, if ever, get stopped if you don't exceed the posted limit by more than 10mph)

When I'm riding my bike, I'm extra obedient about stopping at traffic signals. Cops watch for sportbikes even more than cars in my area, plus I like to set a good example for the cagers about us sportbike riders.
jondog9 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Amber Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Intersections are a very likely place to have an accident. The flow of traffic is disrupted and people unwittingly or intentionally make bad decisions.
That said, I'm going against the developing grain just a little bit.
In my state, which uses photo-enforcement at some intersections, if your front tire (or tires) is across the white line of the intersection while the light is still yellow, you're ok. Even if the light turns red at the instant that your tires are completely across the line and into the intersection, you will get no ticket.
In the event you get stopped by Police in the same scenerio, then it's your word against his. Unless you happen to have your go-pro on and it shows indisputably that your tire was across the line before it turned red.

Our lights stay yellow for a good 3 or 4 seconds in the busier intersections. When I'm driving my work van, loaded down with weight, I sensibly use this knowledge to determine whether or not to come to a nose diving stop. Because like everyone here, occasionally I might be going 5 to 10 mph over the posted limit of 45, 50, or 65 mph. (You rarely, if ever, get stopped if you don't exceed the posted limit by more than 10mph)

When I'm riding my bike, I'm extra obedient about stopping at traffic signals. Cops watch for sportbikes even more than cars in my area, plus I like to set a good example for the cagers about us sportbike riders.

It sounds like you are in complete agreement with us then John.
Amber means stop if you can.
Our red light cameras take two shots so they can calculate your speed. If the reason you can't stop is because you were speeding you can expect a ticket. I can't really see the relevance of whether your front tyres are over the line or not - is that actually stated in the law?
A lot of our traffic lights also have speed cameras built into them so it's always a good idea to approach them at the speed limit even when they're green.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 3:50 PM
 
Join Date: 07-12-2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59
                     
Re: Amber Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom01 View Post
Hey, got a traffic infringement the other day for going thru an Amber light. Have tried to contest it but was told in writing by another police officer that it is actually illegal to run an Amber light???? Have been driving/riding for over 20 years and have never heard of this? Can anyone confirm or deny if this is correct?
I got one of these 5 years ago, and it is a very legitimate ticket.

James Taylor
Krazed is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Regional > Australia

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Amber Lights? 357XP1 Honda Naked Sportbikes 4 09-01-2011 8:15 AM
Amber Headlight wanted for 93 cbr900rr windman Honda FireBlade 1 03-13-2009 6:50 AM
fs: flushmounts-amber led's (4 in each) brand new DemonRR For Sale 2 03-07-2007 6:34 AM
Amber alert! ND4SPD Off-Topic 10 03-23-2004 9:25 PM
Amber Alert!!! ND4SPD Off-Topic 3 01-09-2004 7:56 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome