Please Help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Eastern USA Regional discussion for members that live in Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Vermont, Washington DC, West Virginia.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-15-2013, 1:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Please Help

Seacoast New Hampshire and Massachusetts
Got my 99 cbr 954 banged up. Got some 2001 Aprilia RSV rims powder coated figuring it would be an easy conversion for my 1999 900 cbr. Well it isn't. Sounds very complex different parts etc. according to two mechanics. Could some one possibly help me to a mechanic that may be able to handle this situation. Or should I try to sell the Powder coated RSV rims that i paid over 1,000 quid for? I'm not trying to take a loss. please help me. Looking to hear from my fellow blade enthusiast.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-16-2013, 4:27 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by antghosleeblade View Post
Seacoast New Hampshire and Massachusetts
Got my 99 cbr 954 banged up. Got some 2001 Aprilia RSV rims powder coated figuring it would be an easy conversion for my 1999 900 cbr. Well it isn't. Sounds very complex different parts etc. according to two mechanics. Could some one possibly help me to a mechanic that may be able to handle this situation. Or should I try to sell the Powder coated RSV rims that i paid over 1,000 quid for? I'm not trying to take a loss. please help me. Looking to hear from my fellow blade enthusiast.
Thanks,

I'm guessing you mean a '99 900RR, not a 954?
In which case it is a bit painful making a 17" front wheel fit.
But you can fit any wheel you want to as long as you're willing to make the effort.

The first thing you need to do is make sure the bearings fit your axle.
The RSV1000 runs 25x47x12 front bearings.
The 900RR runs 20x47x14 bearings.
So you need to buy some 20x47x14 bearings to put in the RSV wheel.

You also need to make a 20mm bearing spacer to fit between them. The easiest way to do this is to buy a 20mm spacer from a rear wheel either from a dealer or a wrecker and cut it to _exactly_ the same length as the RSV spacer. The spacer from the 900RR wheel is 20mm and should be long enough to do the trick - $20 for a new one REAR WHEEL

At this point you can now mount the wheel on the axle, centre it, and measure the length of the spacers you need to make for each side. If you buy a bunch of 20mm washers you can dummy it up very easily. Again, it's very easy to cut these axle spacers out of an inner wheel spacer. Once you determine the external diameter of the spacers you'll use then you can order grease seals if you want to run them over the bearings.

Next move is to fit the discs, and the RSV discs are actually fairly similar to the 900RR discs so it shouldn't take much to make your discs fit the new wheels.

First, the bore is 64mm on the RSV wheel and 62mm on the 900RR discs. You can either machine the hub down 2mm, or machine the discs out 2mm - but you will need to do this every time you replace the discs.

However, the disc offset is quite different (RSV is 9.5mm, 900RR is 21mm) so you need to measure the width of both hubs across the disc mounting faces, which will also give you the width across the disc rotors (ideally you want to space the discs so they fit your calipers so you don't need to modify the caliper mounts). You might find that the RSV hub is a lot wider than the 900RR and you won't be able to run the Honda discs. In which case you will need to find some RSV discs. The RSV discs though are 320mm so you will need to move your calipers out 5mm on their mounts, or grind 5mm out of the calipers to clear the discs (I'd be surprised if you have room to do this), or machine the discs down 10mm to fit your calipers.
Or you can look for other 310mm discs with less offset and modify those to fit the wheel.
For example the '00-'01 ZX9R has 310mm discs with 13.25mm offset and 61mm bore.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 7 Old 08-16-2013, 7:09 AM

Reputation Power: 36

Wow. Blade you really out did yourself that was a awesome break down of what needs to be done with lots great tech info also. He should be very happy with that!
It won't let me give you any more rep or I would.

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-16-2013, 7:22 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rrHonda View Post
Wow. Blade you really out did yourself that was a awesome break down of what needs to be done with lots great tech info also. He should be very happy with that!
It won't let me give you any more rep or I would.

Since it seems my Marchesini mag rear is not going to be repairable I'm having to make my '06 1000RR fit my '90 GSXR750. I'm already running the front 1000RR wheel.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 7 Old 08-21-2013, 1:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Blade Racer! I knew without a doubt if noone responed you would bless me. Thanks for the info. The shop i work with are not capable of handling this kind of matter?? But thanks for your insight. Appreciate it.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-21-2013, 3:20 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Dickinson Cycle
(603) 798-4232 340 Dover Rd, Chichester, NH 03258
give this shop a call jon has over 40 years of custom bike building he may be able to help.

if you are in the NH seacoast he is only about an hour from you
post #7 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 2:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks rik

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Regional > Eastern USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page