Help me extend(er) my swingarm - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Eastern USA Regional discussion for members that live in Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Vermont, Washington DC, West Virginia.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 01-27-2010, 3:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Send a message via AIM to KFeez
Help me extend(er) my swingarm

My dad is a machinist and has some machines of his own, told me he will replicate a set of swingarm extenders and caliper plate if I can find a set for him to check out first and take measurements. If anyone wants to let me borrow\rent\lease theirs until he makes me a set I would appreciate it. Needs to fit 2002 954. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-31-2010, 2:45 PM Thread Starter

Re: Help me extend(er) my swingarm

Anyone?
post #3 of 26 Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

no help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 02-04-2010, 1:15 AM

Reputation Power: 12

I can't help u. But an idea is you could order em from some where get the measurements you need then return them. Then even if they have a re-stocking fee of 10% or so you will get your set 90% cheaper then buying them from wherever. Kinda shady but could work.
post #5 of 26 Old 02-04-2010, 5:23 PM

Reputation Power: 21

Here's help. Some dude with an advanced degree in engineering and a but-load of experience tweaked that bike to get the best balance he could with what he had available. What makes you think you can do him one better? Lots of cool stuff you can put on your bike to make it that much faster and maneuverable. Lots of ways to make it yours without damaging its performance. My .93 rupees for which you did ask.
post #6 of 26 Old 02-04-2010, 5:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your rupees, I assume that's currency. I'm not a racer, I street ride 99% of the time, and will hit a few drag strips a year. Even with a 6" stretch I highly doubt I will be cornering near it's limits on a country road. Any minor handling loss I incur will be happily offset by the increase in aesthetics and straight line stability.
Mar10W6, the thought DID cross my mind, but seemed a little on the immoral\sketchy side. I was hoping that while it's winter and people were spending little or no time on their bikes I could copy someone's.
post #7 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 4:24 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFeez View Post
Thanks for your rupees, I assume that's currency. I'm not a racer, I street ride 99% of the time, and will hit a few drag strips a year. Even with a 6" stretch I highly doubt I will be cornering near it's limits on a country road. Any minor handling loss I incur will be happily offset by the increase in aesthetics and straight line stability.
Mar10W6, the thought DID cross my mind, but seemed a little on the immoral\sketchy side. I was hoping that while it's winter and people were spending little or no time on their bikes I could copy someone's.

no offense...but aesthetically....extending your swing arm is the worst thing you could do...anyone that has been riding a sportbike the real way they were meant to be ridden will be looking at you like your a squid and your bike like its an abomination or worse...Honda engineers are not stupid and they know what works the best in most situations....ive found that 98% of the people ive ridden with that have had extended swing arms ( and hayabusa's)..which was probably only about 10-15 guys...have all SUCKED at riding their bike and should have bought a harley or stuck with 4 wheels...if you LIVE at the drag strip and that is all you do then i guess it makes sense to extend it but for street riding and 5 drags a year?!?!?! Leave it alone and you will be much more respected within the sportbike crowd...at least where ive been thats how it is...the only people that like the way extended swing arms look are the ones that spend more time looking at their bike in the burger king parking lot than riding it... just my 96 rupees....
post #8 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 4:27 PM

looks sooooo stupid...IMHO

Last edited by #1 CBR; 02-16-2010 at 1:40 AM.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 4:54 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Well, since everyone else is sharing thier rupees, I'll share mine. I won't force them on you, nor will I try to convert you. I find most of the extended swingarm mods distasteful but I only own three bikes and can't expect everyone to appreciate what I do. Some people take the fairings off thier bike(which were engineered to offer better aerodymanics from the OE manufacturer.) and get slaughtered by those who don't like it. Others add polished pieces or chrome and are likewise battered by those who don't like it. Some even extend thier swingarm or lower thier bike or both. How dare they?! Thats not the status quo and thats not what the bike was built for. Who gives a sh*t? If my neighbor wants to put a swimming pool in the back of his truck, more power to him. Its his truck. I'm not making the payment and I don't have to swim in it. For all of you who have it all together, have pitty on us mere mortals.

Like I stated earlier, I don't like most extended swingarm mods, but I won't crucify you for having a prerogative. I have seen a handful of GSXR1300's that were rather stunning.

For the record, re-read his post. He never asked for anyone's opinion, he asked for help. Stay in school.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 5:51 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFeez View Post
My dad is a machinist and has some machines of his own, told me he will replicate a set of swingarm extenders and caliper plate if I can find a set for him to check out first and take measurements. If anyone wants to let me borrow\rent\lease theirs until he makes me a set I would appreciate it. Needs to fit 2002 954. thanks

get ur swing arm extended. i have heard bad things on swing arm extenders
post #11 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum View Post
Well, since everyone else is sharing thier rupees, I'll share mine. I won't force them on you, nor will I try to convert you. I find most of the extended swingarm mods distasteful but I only own three bikes and can't expect everyone to appreciate what I do. Some people take the fairings off thier bike(which were engineered to offer better aerodymanics from the OE manufacturer.) and get slaughtered by those who don't like it. Others add polished pieces or chrome and are likewise battered by those who don't like it. Some even extend thier swingarm or lower thier bike or both. How dare they?! Thats not the status quo and thats not what the bike was built for. Who gives a sh*t? If my neighbor wants to put a swimming pool in the back of his truck, more power to him. Its his truck. I'm not making the payment and I don't have to swim in it. For all of you who have it all together, have pitty on us mere mortals.

Like I stated earlier, I don't like most extended swingarm mods, but I won't crucify you for having a prerogative. I have seen a handful of GSXR1300's that were rather stunning.

For the record, re-read his post. He never asked for anyone's opinion, he asked for help. Stay in school.

Plus he didn't say he was going with a 12" extension or ?? like the pic above.
Like it has been said before, maybe its the bike he just happen to end up with and can't afford to get something a little more suitable for the type riding. Nothing wrong with what he's doing, heck im getting ready to do the same thing 6" or less on my 929. No you can't borrow mine I just got them. Yes this is the bike I ended up with and its going to look awesome! Busa's are made for touring! Does anyone use them for that? Not that I know of.

I guess it all depends on where you're located, never much been into the twisties hardcore. They could be fun though if you are confident in yourself and the road you're riding on. my .02 .. MAKE IT UR OWN
post #12 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 8:38 PM

im not forcing my opinion...and ur right he didnt ask for it...but where im from extended swing arms are laughed at and i was just trying to inform him of that...i agree the bike is ur own and do what you please but its really not going to make the bike any better performance wise...you wouldnt notice the diff in stability unless you were going 160mph+. Maybe people look at my bikes and laugh (doubt it) but it could happen...if you reaqlly love the look of an extended swingarm...get it...but like someone else said the extenders tend to have problems...I hate when i ask a question and people bash an idea so im sorry...do what u want and have fun!
post #13 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 8:40 PM

For the record...im in school..and have been for 6 years and i will have my post masters degree as a physicians assistant next year...and i cant wait to be DONE!
post #14 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1 CBR View Post
For the record...im in school..and have been for 6 years and i will have my post masters degree as a physicians assistant next year...and i cant wait to be DONE!
If he's wanting it for the same reason as me, Im not much of a wheelie guy either and will help keep the front down considerably when launching.

Good days and bad days! We all heve them, I didn't mean to be rude, just vented a little. Sorry! and I wish you luck in your career, sounds like you picked a good reliable one.
post #15 of 26 Old 02-11-2010, 1:38 PM

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum View Post
I am helping him by convincing him not to ruin a perfectly good 954. Hey, its a sportbike site. Most won't think much of such a mod.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Regional > Eastern USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page