Virginia: Routes 340, 11, and 42 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Eastern USA Regional discussion for members that live in Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Vermont, Washington DC, West Virginia.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-30-2011, 9:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Virginia: Routes 340, 11, and 42

Can any Virginia riders (or others who have been there) offer specific comments about Virginia Routes 340, 11 and 42?

I'm trying to ride from Gettysburg, Pa to Staunton, Va without riding the Skyline Drive.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-30-2011, 3:10 PM

Re: Virginia: Routes 340, 11, and 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleSandy View Post
Can any Virginia riders (or others who have been there) offer specific comments about Virginia Routes 340, 11 and 42?

I'm trying to ride from Gettysburg, Pa to Staunton, Va without riding the Skyline Drive.

Thanks.
What do you want to know?

42 is the oldest highway in Virginia, and goes right down the spine of the state. I ride on it regulary around here (a bit further south than Staunton), and it's one of the best biking roads in the state. It's pretty much in the mountains the whole time, which means you're generally far from civilization.

Here's a decent little overview: Rt 42 - Virginia Mountains: Virginia Motorcycle Rides

Route 11 isn't as technical as 42, and parts of it become part of Interstate 81. It's still a fun road, but it runs fairly parallel to 81 and seems to hit a bit larger cities and towns along the way.

I haven't been on 340 that I can remember.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-30-2011, 4:08 PM Thread Starter

VT_Tim,

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I'm riding from NJ to Staunton for the Roadrunner Magazine Annual Ride. I plan to develop the route "backwards", beginning at Staunton and ending in Bernardsville, NJ. Staying close to the interstate will enable me to slab it for a while to be able to make the trip in one (Long) day.

Once I get there, Roadrunner has prepared 3 days of riding near Staunton. I haven't received the routes yet, but I understand that the area offers spectacular riding roads.

Thanks for you help.

Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-30-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
VT_Tim,

Once I get there, Roadrunner has prepared 3 days of riding near Staunton. I haven't received the routes yet, but I understand that the area offers spectacular riding roads.

Sandy
The riding in Virginia is fantastic, and the Blue Ridge Parkway doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. The further south and west you get, the better it gets, in my opinion.

I don't know how much time you have before your trip, but if you have a bit of time, the Virginia Department of Transportation will mail you the "Scenic Roads" map for free. I use it to plan new routes pretty often, as it highlights the non-interstate scenic byways throughout the whole state. You can get it here:

Virginia's Scenic Byways

It took about a week for mine to show up.

Have fun on your trip!
post #5 of 9 Old 05-01-2011, 7:06 AM Thread Starter

VT_Tim,

Thanks for the link. I requested the maps today. My trip is for mid-July so there is plenty of time to receive them.

I'll be in Staunton from July 14 - 17 for the Roadrunner Magazine Annual Ride and may ride to Williamsburg after the event is over.

If you live in the Staunton area and would like to go for a 'scrape', or can meet for a coffee, let me know.

Thanks for your helpful response.

Sandy
post #6 of 9 Old 05-03-2011, 9:28 PM

Reputation Power: 12

NobleSandy you are in for a treat. Stanton is a great small town and friendly people, I have lots of family there. VT_TIM is right western VA and WV are your best riding around. I live there,right in the middle of most of the good riddingin Bath Co. Make sure that Rt 250 west out of Stanton is on the list if not RAISE CANE !!! That is one of the best rides in the east, been in several mags. As for 340 it is 4 lane for a while south of Waynesboro, but don't know much of it north of there. TIM is right about the rest. Personaly I don't care much for the parkway 45mph the whole way and lots of pot holes LOTS. Better roads to ride unless you just like putting around looking at the scenery and the patrol it HEAVILY. My 2 cents RIDE SAFE !!!! Hoovy
post #7 of 9 Old 05-04-2011, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOVY View Post
NobleSandy you are in for a treat. Stanton is a great small town and friendly people, I have lots of family there. VT_TIM is right western VA and WV are your best riding around. I live there,right in the middle of most of the good riddingin Bath Co. Make sure that Rt 250 west out of Stanton is on the list if not RAISE CANE !!! That is one of the best rides in the east, been in several mags. As for 340 it is 4 lane for a while south of Waynesboro, but don't know much of it north of there. TIM is right about the rest. Personaly I don't care much for the parkway 45mph the whole way and lots of pot holes LOTS. Better roads to ride unless you just like putting around looking at the scenery and the patrol it HEAVILY. My 2 cents RIDE SAFE !!!! Hoovy
Yeah... also 220 will take you right up through Warm Springs, Virginia which is where the Homestead is located (in Bath County, I believe). In Warm Springs, 220 and Rt 39 cross. If you head west on 39, it takes you through some awesome twisty roads over some beautiful mountain country. If you go east, it takes you along the Maury River through the Goshen Pass (towards Lexington). Both are great rides.

Absolutely gorgeous country.

Last edited by VT_Tim; 05-04-2011 at 10:13 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-04-2011, 6:39 PM

Reputation Power: 12

VT_JIM

Right again, I live about 8 miles south (220) of the Homestead on the VERY curvy road (606) into Clifton. And yes 39 and 220 are both good rides and connect you to every good ride in that area. Drop me a line if you in the area and I can steer you to the right roads and some you may not have heard of Jim and sandy. I don't know when I'll be ridding again but will be glad to help.
Ride Safe Guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOOVY
post #9 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
VT_Tim,
I'll be in Staunton from July 14 - 17 for the Roadrunner Magazine Annual Ride and may ride to Williamsburg after the event is over.
I'm down in Blacksburg, about 2 hours southwest of Staunton... you'll be right in the middle of some beautiful country with many options for fun rides. Williamsburg is in the flat-lands, but you'll enjoy your time in the mountains, I'm sure. If you've got anymore questions about routes, give a shout-out.

Have fun, and ride safe!

- Tim

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Regional > Eastern USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page